ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi - Just Purchased My First 172

'03 172 Iceberg S
Hello,

I've just put a deposit down on a 2003 Iceburg Silver 172 FF and will be picking it up on Satuday, can't wait!!!!

Can anyone recomend a good steering wheel cover and where to get it? I want something discrete looking that will just protect the wheel without looking unusual.

Also I don't think the car is coming with any mats. Can anyone recomend a good set of mats and where to get them?

Many thanks. Hope you can help.

www.renparts.co.uk
good choice.... i would get renault mats, they come up used on ebay very cheap as theyre expensive from a dealer, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? was it from a dealer?

'03 172 Iceberg S
Hi, thanks for the reply. So you'd recomend Renault mats - what about the group buy from http://www.justmatz.co.uk thats currently in the parts for sale section? Guessing its these mats here:

clio%20sport%20interior%201b.jpg

Anyone got any info on the steering wheel cover?

Also just thought of another question I meant to ask.... can anyone recommend an after-market exhaust that doesn't increase the volume of the car and doesn't have a massive pipe hanging out the back?

PS: I paid £5400 for it, its in pretty much mint condition with 39k on the clock. Alloys could do with a refurb but thats pretty much about it.

Last edited:
  '03 172 Iceberg S
Just managed to get on board the Just Matz group buy so will have my mats sorted soon! Thanks joshydee.

Any advice on the steering wheel cover and exhaust anyone?

Cool, get some pics up when you get it.

Why do you want a steering wheel cover? It's quite a nice wheel in the first place.

'03 172 Iceberg S
The 172 steering wheel is notoriously bad for wear. I'm lucky enough to have a wheel thats in lovely condition and I would like to keep it that way.
I will post pics once I get the car!!! and the mats are in!!!

RB 200 Cup!
i picked my 172 up 19 days ago - put a deposit down before i went on holiday so i can imagine your excitement!

Mercedes C Class Sport
Seriously, either tesco luxury car mats or Costco ones (as they are the same) are fantastic, i use them and so do alot of people i know

'03 172 Iceberg S
The mats are sorted - I'm not after a bugdet option anyway - I want the top dog gear for my sweet new motor!
Steering wheel cover, exhaust?

Monaco Ph2 172
I wouldn't mind some recommendations on a quiet-ish, hidden exhasut too. Anyone know how loud the K-Tec stealth system is?

Love the Iceberg Silver colour BTw :)

Lotus Elise 111R
I wouldn't mind some recommendations on a quiet-ish, hidden exhasut too. Anyone know how loud the K-Tec stealth system is?

Love the Iceberg Silver colour BTw :)

The k-tec stealth is a nice sound, markcup has a sound clip on here somewhere, and on youtube. Stick it in the search and there are loads that pop up! None will be as quiet as standard tho... I have the K-tec with recessed pipe and really like the sound and it looks factory fit which is what I wanted.

'03 172 Iceberg S
Cool - how much is a K-Tec back box then?

Wizbit - I'm lovin the Iceburg Silver too - I know its the most common but think it looks the dogs.

'03 172 Iceberg S
I'm probably just gonna replace my magnex monstrosity with a standard factory fit 172 back box. Is there anywhere (other than the stealers) that sells these on the cheap?

you could prob find a 172 back box in the ditch of any major road! They are notorious for poor quality. Ktec stealth for the oem look, although i wud have a recessed Prospeed.

'03 172 Iceberg S
Thanks for the advice but I have already considered the ktec and the GDI exhausts. I've heard some horror stories about the ktec's falling off & people having to have centre sections replaced continuously. Also their sound is apparenly an "aquired taste" and some people have commented they "sound like a wet fart". I really don't want any increase in noise from the standard either and I don't want to have to pay a premium on my insurance as well. So with all this in mind I've decided to opt for a standard exhaust. Also ktec don't sell just a back box you have to buy the lot!!!

..... so anyone know where to get a (new) cheap one??

Thanks for the advice but I have already considered the ktec and the GDI exhausts. I've heard some horror stories about the ktec's falling off & people having to have centre sections replaced continuously. Also their sound is apparenly an "aquired taste" and some people have commented they "sound like a wet fart". I really don't want any increase in noise from the standard either and I don't want to have to pay a premium on my insurance as well. So with all this in mind I've decided to opt for a standard exhaust. Also ktec don't sell just a back box you have to buy the lot!!!

..... so anyone know where to get a (new) cheap one??

I get a feeling you have to buy the whole lot with the standard one and its a similar price to a superior stainless steel aftermarket item, im sure someone will be along to confirm this.
Standard exhaust from renault is around £300.

'03 172 Iceberg S
I've already phoned Renault for the prices. You can buy the back box alone for £122 inc VAT. The centre section is £190 inc VAT and it is definitely seperate.

I've already phoned Renault for the prices. You can buy the back box for £122 inc VAT. The centre section is £190 inc VAT but its seperate.

Thats not too bad then, phone around a few breakers or put a wanted on here in the market place as there maybe someone who has upgraded to an aftermarket and still has their standard one in the garage.