ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi pitched whistling noise?????

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
No idea which section to put this so I've whacked it here.

So, when I drive my 182 up to around 93/95/100 ish mph I get a really loud high pitched whistling noise.

It doesn't go away either the faster I go?
I know these speeds are silly but I noticed it on motorway before :-/

Thought it may be wipers but ruled that out as I switched them on whilst noise was there and it didn't stop or change tone.

Anyone had this before?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Chris (cswalmsley)

RB One Eight Two
I sometimes hear a high pitch whistle on mine, I always thought it was the wing mirror :/

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Well this is a constant whistle. Hard to explain. It doesn't fade out until speed lowers below 95.

Are your whistles at this speed too? Do they fade out at higher speeds?

Cheers for responses.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Could be the hole for the temp sensor on the drivers wing mirror? Mine whistled so I plugged it.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Well it could be that ye. But this seems really loud to maybe come from there. But I will try it. Will have to post a video perhaps. Will have a mess around weekend I think.

Got washer bottle to sort out too

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Could be. Whatever it is. It's proper annoying. And makes me all edgey thinking it could be something ready to blow up! :-/

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
It could be from the cc fan, by the interior light?

I was always under the impression it was this ^^

My 182 did it, owned from new.. so I know it hadn't had a replacement windscreen. If your 182 has a 'hump', about 3-400mm long in the centre of the top trim, its highly likely that its had a new windscreen at some point.

Solution to noise? No idea... I gave up in the end.. even had the whole interior light assemble out at speed with a friend to try and work it out. The noise certainly came from this area, as we were able to change the tone of it with a hand inserted into the roof lining.. lol. Please just take my word for it, and dont try it yourself.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Could be. Whatever it is. It's proper annoying. And makes me all edgey thinking it could be something ready to blow up! :-/

Mine could be different to yours then. When I get above 80 it starts to whistle. Only noticed it on track though.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I will have to get a video up of the noise. As its deffo something I couldnt ignore. Trust me.

Clio 182
yep mine does this too - our noise is coming from the plastic housing above my head, behind the rear view mirror. ask a passenger to push up on it with a little pressure and it muffles/disappears! the speed it comes in at varies too, sometimes its at around 60-65, most of the time at or around 70.
I scoured CS and one answer was the climate control fan/sensor - I've checked this; my unit is different from the one mentioned (no rotational parts/fan).
The noise is worse/more prevalent when there are noticeable crosswinds...i've put it down to a leak in the seal around the windscreen somewhere, air leaking through at higher speeds causing a whistling sound, pressing on the plastic housing closes the hole and stops the noise.
A permanent fix I've not found yet - im guessing remove headlining and check seals/replace windscreen seals...

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
yep mine does this too - our noise is coming from the plastic housing above my head, behind the rear view mirror. ask a passenger to push up on it with a little pressure and it muffles/disappears! the speed it comes in at varies too, sometimes its at around 60-65, most of the time at or around 70.
I scoured CS and one answer was the climate control fan/sensor - I've checked this; my unit is different from the one mentioned (no rotational parts/fan).
The noise is worse/more prevalent when there are noticeable crosswinds...i've put it down to a leak in the seal around the windscreen somewhere, air leaking through at higher speeds causing a whistling sound, pressing on the plastic housing closes the hole and stops the noise.
A permanent fix I've not found yet - im guessing remove headlining and check seals/replace windscreen seals...

I will try this at weekend hopefully

Just abit strange why mine starts whistling at 95+ but on the plus side. I rarely go those speeds anyway. ;-)

Clio 182

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Will have to try this tomorrow, and do a video too of the noise in action.

Cheers for link to thread. Will pop off the interior light section and have a look :)

192'd BG 182 FF
I'm having this exact same problem, it started when doing around 90mph but now its around 85mph. Please let me know if you find a solution to it because it's worrying me everytime it happens!

clio 182
I bought a clio 182 last thursday, and have found exactly the same problem with it, at pretty much 100mph, a very load whistling noise comes in, again sounds like windscreen/center light unit, has anyone found a fix or definate reason to this.

New to the world of clio btw and loving it!

clio 182
I'll giv ethat a go, blocking it off, but I'm pretty sure it's not that as it is VERY loud and more from the centre of the car/windscreen, not the drivers mirror.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Ye I've not managed to solve the issue to be honest. I think it's something we've gotta live with.

As long as it's not engine related and won't damage anything the quicker I go :-/

I also wonder if other cars around could hear it too?

LY R26 #288
Mine whistles at about 40mph but it's deffo the wing mirror as you can stop it by putting your hand over the mirror whilst driving.

Megane 250
My car just went into Renault and had its bonnet latch replaced and now I get the whistle that's very loud at about 90+
Sounds like the whistle is comming from the front nearside of the car, hard to tell as I'm on the other side of the car. Only just got back so need to try some suggestions but I'm thinking it's bonnet related, the bonnet seems to be sat fine though.