ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HID Kit has to go- new MOT Rules. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Bought my 172 Phase 1 in October 2016 with the HID (Cheap) kit in place. It worked, so i left it alone

Today it failed the MOT as apparently HID has to be OEM and needs washers and the like, or it fails. So thats new

So where do i start- need new halogen kit with lampholders i suspect? dipped, full and sides (H3, H7 and W5W i believe)

Is there anything out there that would cover this lot off- and of course Ive never looked at OEM as never needed too (Anyone got any pics?)

Failed on a few other things too- welding needed :-(

And advice appreciated

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Find another MOT tester.

I’ve had 3 cars all with HID kits (fitted in projector headlamps so they don’t blind people) and they’ve never even been mentioned let alone failed.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Find another MOT tester.

I’ve had 3 cars all with HID kits (fitted in projector headlamps so they don’t blind people) and they’ve never even been mentioned let alone failed.
Was told the rules are new, and he didnt fail them in years gone by

Thing is about another tester is that they will see the fail notes from this test

Apparently "The lamp source and lamp isnt compatible" 4.1.4. (c)

But i like your thinking

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The rules have been around for a while I think. Certainly not new this year as far as I know anyway.

You probably need to take a look and see how much has been changed to fit them. It may just be a case of unplugging them and fitting normal bulbs. I bought a car with them years ago and they hadn't had to chop any wires or anything to fit them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Was told the rules are new, and he didnt fail them in years gone by

Thing is about another tester is that they will see the fail notes from this test

Apparently "The lamp source and lamp isnt compatible" 4.1.4. (c)

But i like your thinking
The rules are new, but not that new. A couple of years old at least.

He’s being an ass hat.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
defo ass hat, find new MOT tester

but tbh, i binned my crappy hid's off too, thought i was missing carriers etc but on the phase 1 the dipped beam that the HID kit replaced on mine the bulb and carrier are integral

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Thought he was being a bit picky as theyve been on the car since i bought i, and he did the last MOT- but will see how easy to change them over.

It wont help that the engine bay caught fire as it happens, duing the MOT when doing an emissions test
For some reason there is no exhaust heat shield, meaning when he ran it at 3k revs for 5 minutes for emissions, the bulkhead sound deadening started smoking? (They even had a large bottle of water sitting there, with bonnet open, when i collected it)
So- not sure whether to remove the deadening, or get hold of a heat shield and refit- is it easy to do?

He also found corrosion on a rear sill, which needs welding (Probably get all the jack points done at same time) and didnt like my wiring of an alternative air horn. (So will remove that)

AND- have just had used cup gearbox, clutch, and driveshaft fitted

Thinking this is the expensive part of owning an older generation Clio, but its done me well the last 4 years, and will plough on for a bit more yet methinks.

But breaking is looming on the horizon. Hope not.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, should fail for HID retro fitted into halogen specific lamps for sure, nothing to argue about there.

The other part about washers is moot I guess in your case but he’s kind of wrong anyway as headlight washer requirement for HID is only after 1st sep 2009.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Not really fussed about the lamps, although they were a nice bright white not dazzling, just the fact that he PASSED them in May 2019 which is the last MOT
It seems it is only 2 wires, so hopefully i can carefully remove the kit (High voltage ballast unit) and replace with H7 halogens

Its where he obviously used a jack on the rear jack point and completely mullered it (Ive just looked) and then told me there is a hole that needs welding
Yes, there is a hole- but he created it. A bit of honesty wouldve been nice.

Seems there may be a heat shield missing where the exhaust manifold exits the engine, as the sound deadening started up in smoke- any one got pics of that or know the part number? - again, not something thats been removed in my ownership, so dont know what goes there. Think he said just remove the sound deadening should be OK- anyone heard of that? Will research

172 Ph1
I was under the impression that the PH1 headlamps are projectors and will deffo project the light to a flick that will pass the MOT .

I guess the fact that he can see the HID’s , he playing MOT ball.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It USED to be that HIDs were not an MOT fail as long as levelling and washers were working if fitted. Still technically illegal because it con, just not an MOT fail.

As of May 2018;
Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

HID headlight housings are marked as such so no marking = no pass.

Most HID kits use the stock connectors, so I’d check to see if they’re still there. If it’s been botched on by cutting and joining wires then what a pisser, but you should be able to get H7/HB3 connectors (I can’t remember which is the dipped on a Ph1) which you’ll need to join onto the wiring.

172 Ph1
It USED to be that HIDs were not an MOT fail as long as levelling and washers were working if fitted. Still technically illegal because it con, just not an MOT fail.

As of May 2018;

HID headlight housings are marked as such so no marking = no pass.

Most HID kits use the stock connectors, so I’d check to see if they’re still there. If it’s been botched on by cutting and joining wires then what a pisser, but you should be able to get H7/HB3 connectors (I can’t remember which is the dipped on a Ph1) which you’ll need to join onto the wiring.

HB3 is the dipped beam connector [emoji1303]

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Thats the difference, they're allowed to be fitted to projector headlamps but not normal reflector ones.

also headlight washers arn't needed before 2004 iirc.

Lamp washers must be present and work IF fitted as standard.

IIRC lamp washers are needed only if the light output exceeds a certain amount, so you will find some newer cars still won't have lamp washers as they don't have mad high output LEDs.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
Not really fussed about the lamps, although they were a nice bright white not dazzling, just the fact that he PASSED them in May 2019 which is the last MOT
It seems it is only 2 wires, so hopefully i can carefully remove the kit (High voltage ballast unit) and replace with H7 halogens

Its where he obviously used a jack on the rear jack point and completely mullered it (Ive just looked) and then told me there is a hole that needs welding
Yes, there is a hole- but he created it. A bit of honesty wouldve been nice.

Seems there may be a heat shield missing where the exhaust manifold exits the engine, as the sound deadening started up in smoke- any one got pics of that or know the part number? - again, not something thats been removed in my ownership, so dont know what goes there. Think he said just remove the sound deadening should be OK- anyone heard of that? Will research
For your car you need a 9005/HB3 bulb for dipped beam. There is no holder, the bulb twists into place and has a 90 degree connector on it where the loom plugs.

Holding the bulb with the connector away from you, you should see 3 tabs which line up with the back of the headlight.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Sounds like a tosser from Vosa might have been there or was perhaps expected to visit thus failing it.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Ive now swapped the HIDs over to Bosch HB3's.

They are yellowish in appearance but brighten the way enough, probly better than the HIDs tbh

May just swap back after MOT, not sure. But least Ive got all i need. Thanks

Re-test Monday

Megane Mk4
HID kits if they are used in standard Halogen lenses need a shield cover in front of the lamp to stop oncoming glare spotting, I've seen plenty on the roads that think it's cool to do this when in actuality, all they're doing is blinding others.

Hidden behind "cat eye" optics shouldn't affect thm as the optic is designed to spread the light effectively towards the ground.

Sounds like your MOT guy is being really picky with it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.