ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High mileage mk2 ph1

Clio_Smart
Hi Guys

I have a mk2 ph1 and its approaching 117,000 and was wondering should i look to sell now ?

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
It depends on what you need really. Personally id keep it but i imagine a lot of people will say sell it and buy a newer one to aviod a sudden costly breakdown. The second option is the sensible one

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Depends, is it n good coniditon? if you trust it to keep going i'd keep it, won't be worth much anyhow.

Clio_Smart
Its in good condition and always serviced.

It crossed my mind that maybe its time i sell up.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
The engine wouldn't bother me too much as they're not too expensive for a newer engine. Depends what everything else is like such as bodywork, suspension, floor, interior etc

Clio_Smart
The body work is in great condition as is the interior.

The overall look is great but i thought maybe the mileage is to high.

How much would you say a good condition mk2 ph1 is worth with 117,000.

Its fully colour coded, dynamique alloys, half leather rsi interior and 172 headlights.

Also has a few other mods but those are the big mods.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys

I have a mk2 ph1 and its approaching 117,000 and was wondering should i look to sell now ?

Well the first question is do you want to sell it, and if not why bother?

It's a high milage early 172, it's done most of it's shedding value, unless you fancy a change there's no reason to just get rid imho.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's a 1.2 though. And in better condition than most 3 year old cars on here, if he's kept it like Giles used to!

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Run it until it gives you major engine problems then look at it again, might be worth sticking a cheap engine in

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
It's a 1.2 though. And in better condition than most 3 year old cars on here, if he's kept it like Giles used to!

Ahh didn't see that, still my point stands it's not exactly going to shed loads of value anymore as it's done most of that.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
One of the reasons i don't intend on selling mine, is that it's now on 92k and not worth a lot. I fitted new brakes, suspension etc so hopefully give me a few more years trouble free motoring.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
One of the reasons i don't intend on selling mine, is that it's now on 92k and not worth a lot. I fitted new brakes, suspension etc so hopefully give me a few more years trouble free motoring.

Fook!

Never know that... it doesn't look a mile over 40k! Fair play fella, it's still one of the best.

Clio_Smart
Thanks guys for the replies

I think im going to keep it as it hasnt gave me any problems since i have owned it and its in great condition.

Also its being serviced this week.

It has shed most of it value anyway so i suppose no point in selling just yet.

Ian

Focus TDCi
As a reference point I bought a T-reg 1.6 on 76,000 for £1300. You won't get a lot for it, even in perfect condition.

I'd keep it, especially if it's in perfect condition. It sounds like you're quite happy with it really anyway? Chances are at that mileage it won't just be the engine you'll need to replace to make people happy.. I'm guessing the clutch and the gearbox will be feeling a bit slack now, too?

I was going to sell mine at 80k, but I'm not sure it's worth it, unless I can do a straight swap for a lower mileage equivalent.

Clio_Smart
If the gearbox, suspension, clutch etc starts to go how much am i looking at to replace them inc labour costs.

Thanks

Ian

Focus TDCi
I shouldn't answer this, it's like tempting fate lol.

To be honest I'm not sure.. never bought any of them.

I've seen reconditioned gearboxes on eBay for about £250 or new for about £400? Engine depends on what you're replacing with I suppose and no idea as to the cost of a clutch.

You'd be looking at more than the value of your car I'm guessing, but that's like the extreme case and I may be talking rubbish!

Clio_Smart
Thanks

I will keep it for a few months and then decide what to do.

Deep down i do want a new car lol

The high mileage is just another reason to sell lol