ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High-Revving, multi-cylinder appreciation thread

Listerine & Poledo
So explain how a supercharger isn't cheating, but a turbocharger is cheating? You take your typical vtec lump. Bang a supercharger on it and that's fine, but bang a turbo on it, and it's not? WTF!

That's right.
:)

Cyclic compressors give you better throttle response and noise.
Unless "frrrrrrrrrt. psst!" is considered a good noise to have, outside of Max Power circles?

That's right.
:)

Cyclic compressors give you better throttle response and noise.
Unless "frrrrrrrrrt. psst!" is considered a good noise to have, outside of Max Power circles?

LOL at your turbo bashing. I have no problem with superchargers personally, but I do love turbos.
Superchargers may give better "instant" response, but they do this at expense of robbing power from the crankshaft. A turbo already in it's powerband but off boost gives pretty much instant throttle response too.

You're talking fractions of fractions of seconds between the 2, the sort you'd only feel if you were some form of advanced humanoid who could slow down time. It might not be there from idle like a supercharger, but it'll be there until the Redline, and a lot of turbo setups now can spool up very quickly.

I'm also intrigued by your argument that turbo noise is "chavvy", yet a supercharger whining away like a broken gearbox isn't? 90% of Joe Public are going to look at any car making either noise and be thinking WTF.

Listerine & Poledo
LOL at your turbo bashing. I have no problem with superchargers personally, but I do love turbos.

I'm also intrigued by your argument that turbo noise is "chavvy", yet a supercharger whining away like a broken gearbox isn't? 90% of Joe Public are going to look at any car making either noise and be thinking WTF.

I know I'm nit-picking. Hell, this is CS, where having any knowledge on the subject is completely optional.

which is more chavvy though, a supercharger whine, or one of those dump valves that sounds like HGV brakes? (In the style of Harry Hill) There's only one way to find out...........

Last edited by a moderator:
But, you don't HAVE to have a dump valve on a turbocharged engine. Most from factory are just recirculated to the turbo inlet, thus eliminating that noise. So that makes that point null and void.

Listerine & Poledo
But, you don't HAVE to have a dump valve on a turbocharged engine. Most from factory are just recirculated to the turbo inlet, thus eliminating that noise. So that makes that point null and void.

Well, I just prefer superchargers, same as you prefer a fan in the exhaust.

This is diverting far off the point though, if it's a V8 that redlines at 9k, I dont mind how it does it.

It's just when we're being told that displacement, cylinders and revs are the anti-christ, that grinds my gears

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd have a turbocharger over a supercharger, any day. I just don't like the noise as much.

Turbos aren't parasitic either; a bonus on smaller engines.

Listerine & Poledo
I'd have a turbocharger over a supercharger, any day. I just don't like the noise as much.

Turbos aren't parasitic either; a bonus on smaller engines.

All true.

I guess, with my demand for revs I should prefer some huuuuuge turbo that doesn't even begin to come into play until about 6k...........but, then, if you're gonna do that, why not have a"proper" blower on there too to help things along until it gets there?

Some of my faves

[YOUTUBE]foDcLUhUKqI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_UWVxT7YcFw[/YOUTUBE]

24s! :approve:
[YOUTUBE]wbNmsn23cFw[/YOUTUBE]

Listerine & Poledo

capacity - check(ish)
cylinders - check
revs - check

Turbos.
Turbos can sound good, but wastegate chatter and dump valves have a chavvy image, you can't shake it. Can't beat a quick revving N/A. Can't wait to get a decent exhaust on the NSX. It has such a tiny flywheel on it, it changes the character of the car massively and sounds awesome. Otherwise it's bog standard!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
cant believe you called it wastegate chatter...

the wastegate cant chatter lol... its compressor surge or stall...

Just for the CSL tbh!

And I can't believe nobody's posted a Zonda yet?! One of the nicest noises I've ever heard a car make tbh.

Flick to 3.48 and just listen!

2.2 bar shed.
that 6r4 is crazy love them rover v8 engine werent they?

V6 NASP. Same engine as the XJ220 underneath, just NASP not boosted. Rover V8 is a useless piece of american junk IMO. And im a MG/R fanboy...

Z4
CSL sounds f*cking ridiculous! :approve:

I want a csl airbox for mine but the price they go for is brutal to match the sound!

I remember the first time I hammered my M3, windows down, in a tunnel, 4k revs, woooahh! Raspy, noisy, yet sounding refined. All adds to the experience, something I was missing so much with the tt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfDRT8Pg5dI savage, and considering it's a golf, mental savage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdY86ESYD5Y&feature=related An all time great. Will never forget seeing one tear around Rockingham, Bangtidy. V8 twin turbo