ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hill Power - ECU and Silicone hose kit!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Spent a very pleasant morning at Hillpower drinking coffee and chatting to Nick and his Dad. Had the Rsport ECU fitted, along with the silicone inlet hose kit.

Startling improvement in the car - much more responsive in every gear, and the rev limiter has been increased. Car is also louder - harder edge to the sound like a touring car now.

Engine idles at 1300rpm now - this is a characteristic of the ECU apparently.

Very happy bunny :D

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE !

I am off to sell my kidney so I can get this done along with an exhaust !

This will be done soon ! Definitely !

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 11 May 2004

Didnt want the IK. ECU is £270.84 fitted, after Cliosport discount.
Any reason why you didnt want the IK? Id have thought it would have matched the ECU perfectly?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 11 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 11 May 2004

Didnt want the IK. ECU is £270.84 fitted, after Cliosport discount.
Any reason why you didnt want the IK? Id have thought it would have matched the ECU perfectly?
Funds :(

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

everybody withs cups above have normal idle speed with the ecu but mikes is a normal 172. i wonder if the extra equipment that interacts with the ecu on a normal 172 causes this high tickover for some reason. anybody else on here got the r-sport ecu on a normal 172 not a cup?

Good question Jay, I am not sure if ayone else has it for the 172, not read anybody who has it done.

Maybe a call to Hill Power 2moro will help answer that question Mike ?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

well the ecu on the cup although it has a connection with the airbag and immobiliser it doesnt interact with systems such as traction contol,esp or abs like on the 172. this is the only real difference between the two models that could explain it.

Mike has an 02 172 which does not have TC, could it be the ABS that is causing it to idle higher than it should ? Surely it should have been mentioned when fitting ?

Quote: Originally posted by ian172 on 11 May 2004

what is the break horse power increase with this ecu??????????????
The BHP gains are slim to none but the gains come in the torque department and the rev limiter is increased.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

bumped this back to the top because im interested to hear what other 172 (not cups) owners say about their group n/r-sport ecu operation.

anyone got a normal 172 with the group n then?

Renault Laguna Coupe

me too Jay - been out in it again tonight, had a good look, idle seems to be about 1100. But oh the performance increase....... mwuhahahahah :D

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 11 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by ian172 on 11 May 2004

what is the break horse power increase with this ecu??????????????
The BHP gains are slim to none but the gains come in the torque department and the rev limiter is increased.

How can you gain torque without BHP?

;)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

defo thinks its the extra systems on the normal 172 causing this idle problem. you think the ecu is worth it then? considering one myself.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Ive never been so happy with a single bolt-on mod to be honest Jay, the difference is massive.

So what do youthink about this idl business? Can this be adjusted or is it fixed by the ECU? I did pick up a price list from Nick while I was there and theres a group N cam conversion too - I was wondering whether the ECU expects a wild cam that wont idle at normal revs.

I dont get it.

All this GrpN stuff.

If you read the regs for GrpN cars then engines especially are std....cams a no no so i dont see how they could be anything but std cams if they are grpN.

The GrpN ECU for that reason isnt expecting a wild cam.

I have an R-sport/Hillpower ECU on my MK1 172 and mine ticks over at about 750-800 rpm,i have never seen mine tick over at 1300 rpm,id call hillpower and ask them about this.

I think mailto:M@thew">M@thew had a R-Sport ecu on his mrk2 172. Hes taken it off and got a superchip now i think, but maybe ask him about it.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Strange thing is that Nick told me about the idle speed when I first rang him up about it - not like it was a surprise to him or anything. TBH it doesnt bother me at all, but its a mystery thats for sure.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 12 May 2004

I dont get it.

All this GrpN stuff.

If you read the regs for GrpN cars then engines especially are std....cams a no no so i dont see how they could be anything but std cams if they are grpN.

The GrpN ECU for that reason isnt expecting a wild cam.
Nick has a group N cam conversion on his price list (I saw the actual cams in a box today!) Theyre Renault cams (or you can have Kent for a few quid less), but whether theyre actually group N or not I couldnt say.

172, Tiguan

^ i would agree. I think giving it some Motorsport associated name helps them sales wise.

Renault Laguna Coupe

In that case I wish they wouldnt use that description. "Go faster ECU / Cams etc" would have done the job for me!