ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what induction kit and remap?

clio 182 cup
i love the clio and decided il be keeping it now for a very long time. its a quick car but i want a bit more power. basically i am thinking of having a induction kit and a remap and then later stage maybe cams.. but what is the best remap and a good induction kit as some may be rubbish.. so what induction kit will make that little bit of difference sound and power wise.. and what remap shall i go for? i was also thinking of haveing it decatted .will it be louder???? much louder?? please help

You won't get any big gains from an air filter, decat and remap. If you're chasing 200bhp then dig deep into your pockets. Just get the car how you want it looks wise, get a nice exhaust and some prefer an open filter for a bit of growl. Remap wise, just buy an RS tuner and chuck 98ron or pops and bangs map (whichever you prefer) on and you're good to go.

As another option, quite a few people now are looking into refreshing the handling side of things, like track rod ends, bushes etc... and personally I'll be doing the same next year as I can't afford the necessary parts to reach 200+bhp.

clio 182 cup
thanks for the reply pal. i dont want big power gain just want that little bit of extra grunt . so a open filter? do you know what is a good one to buy? and where do i buy the remap from? sorry im a bit knew to modding it. handling wise im happy with it at this moment of time just want a bit more grunt through the gears in a straight line. will the 98ron map make a noticable difference then? is the rs tunder just a few files? how would i upload them? sorry for all the questions mate excuse me for being a bit thick but a idiots guide will help me alot lol thanks

Regarding the RS tuner there's a big thread on it somewhere (can't remember where, I'm too tired) which will provide you with everything you need to know about it.
The 98ron map apparently gives you a bit more mid range grunt and makes the car a lot more drivable through the rev range, hence why it's so popular.

Open filters, a lot of people go for pipercross filters, I'll be getting one after christmas but you'll need to replace the intake hose with a silicone one. You can buy the whole kit from K-tec but it's a lot cheaper to just buy 2 90 degree elbows, a metal joiner and the filter.

No worries, I'm sure a few more will pop along and mention anything I've missed.

If you become a paid member (only £12) then you can access technical guides from installing speakers to changing brake components and neat little mods.
Plus you also gain access to the marketplace, where RS tuners pop up for sale pretty much weekly, and you can save endless amounts of money buying from here than ebay etc..
The welcome pack you get pretty much pays for the membership cost so it's the best thing you can buy when owning an RS clio.

I'll have a look for the RStuner thread and the induction kit thread and post links here for you.

Ph2 172
Rstuner is from www.fastchip.nl

Send Henk an e-mail and he can explain everything about the rstuner as it's his product.

I've done it on both 172s I've owned. It's one of the best bang for buck mods you can do to these cars. Improves the drivability no end!

172 cup
Also put the rs tuner map on both my clios, excellent mod.

Induction kit wise, ktec's seems to see the best gains. Although I made a DIY one for less the £50.

After that the best mods were whiteline RARB and pure motor sport top mount+strut kit. Not power mods but really help the handling a lot!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
there's a engine bay temperature test on the homepage made by a member here which shows that the coolest location for a open air filter is behind the passenger headlight like the K-tec induction setup. You may as well do a similar setup by yourself, a 70mm alloy 90 degree pipe and a cone open filter can be bought very cheap.
A nice exhaust would be the Pure Motorsport one but there are cheaper options (like k-tec). The Rs tuner is very high rated over here, I'm having it myself but if you can stretch a little bit to cams you'll have to do a custom map to get the best results.
If you're not onto track days you could just get some lowering springs from eibach and the bushes replaced everywhere which will firm things up. Will also suggest to upgrade your rear exhaust mounts as they are weak, there are some threads here of how to do it.
If you want new tyres with good all round performance the michelin pilot sport 3 are probably the best although not the cheapest. Cheaper but still very good are the hankook v12 evo
Yet another great mod which I came across earlier these days is the pure motorsport gear linkage. As many complain about the vague gearshift in the rs clio's this should massively improve the drive.
These mods will make the car very nice to drive and would definitely make you keep it for a while :)
Good luck!

172 cup
hi,
just a few questions sorry if its been covered already.

1. with the rs tuner I take it you have to map it yourself through your laptop?
2. is the 98ron map make it more pokey through lower revs?
3. do you have to use super unleaded when you have it mapped?

thanks

172 cup
1) yes you use your laptop, but it is very easy to use. Takes about 30 mins
2) improves the driveablity low down. Feels like it gives a lot more torque lower down
3) Renault say you should use 98 Ron standard. But I would highly recommend it if mapped to 98 fuel.

Overall very worthwhile

RB Clio 182
Has anyone got a graph of their their car with a standard map, and then one after they have installed the rstuner map?

It would be good to see a comparison to see the difference in the low down torque figures.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone got a graph of their their car with a standard map, and then one after they have installed the rstuner map?

It would be good to see a comparison to see the difference in the low down torque figures.
Do a search for the 'Show us your graph' thread - that's got loads of rolling road printouts of all sorts of mods, something in there might help.