ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hmmm..... Dont think this should happen.

clio 172 sport
Driving the other day and niticed engine vibrations were up though the car and a slight knocking when engaging the clutch so with the tought of engine mounts had gone i checked them.
Drivers side - ok, Dog bone - ok.... engine movement was on the passengers side so battery out, i moved the engine and the mounts didnt move at all, got hold of the threaded bar in the mount and it moved loads by hand, turns out the threaded bar from the engine going into the mount has sheered clean off!!!
Unbolted the mount and the the internal thread on the engine/gear box has none of the sheered bolt in it, theres a 1.5" recess of thread????
no chance it could have come out being threaded, even if its stripped the thread is still couldnt have come out, not sure i its stripped as yet because it was dark

ValverInBits
this is very common on MK1s too. It's just poor mount design by renualt. The parts fatigue until failure, whiteley has had it recently too.

The only thing to do is replace with new

williams and trophy
aye with the mk 1 s tho just throw the r19 front box mount at it as well and it pretty much eradicates the prob. iv not had 1 fail with the extra mount in over the 4+ years iv had em. was nearly 1 a year before that.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You don't need a whole new mount. It's very common.

The spindle that goes up through the mount is a separate part number, and is about £30 from Renault.

If I were you though, I'd replace the splindle and rubber cup that it sits in. They can wear quite badly once the rubber perishes.

I can get you the part numbers if you need them?

BMW M5 & E36
As Mark said I had one fail recently and shear off exactly as you say. It was on a Mk1 but with the 4th front g'box mount too so the same setup as a 1*2.

I replaced the whole mount rather than the thread itself. I couldn't get the remaining thread out of the mount so that was decided for me.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mine had sheared off a bolt in the chassis rail! lol. That was a f*cking ballache.

Had to drill them out before using new 13mm's.

BMW M5 & E36
Mine snapped on the way to an RSTuning RR day, it still went on the rollers with it rocking away and made more power than most there :cool:

clio 172 sport
I just dont understand where the rest of the spindle is tho and how it could have come out...... how deep should the recess be for the spindle to go in, cos its only about an inch looking at it.