ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

home made IK

172 ff silver
im thinking of making my own induction kit relocating filter behind n/s headlight using stuff from merlin :

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/SAMCO-HOSES/c16/index.html

merlinik.gif

what do you think? will it work ok and will this filter do the job or should i go for a cotton type filter instead of the foam ?

i will also need a cranckcase breather filter (what size ?) and a cold air feed from front grille

any comments suggestions welcome :D

audi a6 3.0tdi
it'll work i've relocated my filter behind the headlight and its a lot better. i've got the phase 1 though with the vents next to the headlight.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I was going to say the similar... get yourself a 172phase 1 airbox and just get some cold airfeeds going direct to it. I have one spare with an itg panel fiter and two 80mm airfeeds if you are interested.

audi a6 3.0tdi
the phase 1 air boxes are good very similar to an itg maxogen but just too quiet for me. :( i suppose its what you are looking for... ultimate power gains or for it to scare people when you overtake them lol

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Go for it mate . You'll most likely get slagged off for heat soak but i doubt it will suffer any at all . I looked at ITG foam filters before but i wasn't sure on the actual size of the filter so i opted for a green cotton filter . I suppose you could always ring merlin and ask them how big they actually are .

Why the reducer though ??

172 ff silver
the phase 1 air boxes are good very similar to an itg maxogen but just too quiet for me. :( i suppose its what you are looking for... ultimate power gains or for it to scare people when you overtake them lol

both mate, induction noise is very sexy yes....... :cool:

172 ff silver
Why the reducer though ??

its 70-80mm as the flange on the filter is 80mm where as the rest of it is 70mm

dont spose it matters really just get a 70mm flanged filter and do away with the reducer eh ?

also what size crancase breather do i need to fit on pipe from crankcase ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just go for one with a 70mm inlet , if you get a reducer you'll also be adding to the length of the pipe and might struggle fitting the filter in . Off the top of my head its 14mm for the crankcase breather pipe .

172 ff silver
as for length of inlet, iirc a longer inlet path makes for improved torque so i might gain some torque maybe

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I was just thinking you'll have two 90 degree elbows then a reducer inside the elbow going behind the headlight , this might make it a bit too long and push the filter too far towards the wing , unless of course you cut down one of the 90 degrees . I'd just stick to all 70mm , elbows , alloy tube and flange size . Plus it saves you a few quid not buying the reducer .

Your idea is an option i considered before making my custom airbox .

I'll be interested to see the results :)

172 ff silver
I was just thinking you'll have two 90 degree elbows then a reducer inside the elbow going behind the headlight , this might make it a bit too long and push the filter too far towards the wing , unless of course you cut down one of the 90 degrees . I'd just stick to all 70mm , elbows , alloy tube and flange size . Plus it saves you a few quid not buying the reducer .

yeh mate i think sticking to 70 mm makes for less hassle

and i will cut 90 bends if i have to because i dont want it to far towards the wing

FOR SALE!!!
think it 70mm lol can check if u intrested only after tenner for it and u only live in stafford im from stone

FOR SALE!!!
nah is there a meet our sumthink? were bouts in stone ya from i live on cherrfeilds ? were ya house in stafford