ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home worker productivity software

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Bonjourno

Strange request from a manager here. He's contemplating hiring someone to work for him, they'll work a few days a week from home. He wants a way of measuring their productivity, ie he wants to see how many hours a day a certain application is the active one.

Does such a software package exist? For parts of the discussion it seemed like he was talking about trojans :p

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
What application will he be using?

There's bound to me a license monitor. But then, that'd only tell you if the product was open, not if it was being used.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Lotus Notes/IE

Tbh, I may just tell him that there's nowt out there, and he can just monitor how many emails they send

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Would be easier if you were supplying the machine to be used at home (as you can install what you like then :) ), or if they were remoting in to a terminal server/citrix from home.

If you've got SCCM you might be able to do something with the internet client management + software metering.

You'd need to install a few bits on their machine but wouldn't be too bad, plus you could blag it saying that it's to ensure that their machine is up to date patch wise etc for security reasons or something (more so if they will be vpn'ing in).

DMS

A thirsty 172
Another solution that may work (although it'll cost)... Citrix!
Get him to connect through a CSG to XenServer and rather than publishing a desktop, just publish all the applications he'll need to do his job. You can then compile reports on how often each app is used and how long for. Running multiple published apps at the same time is no problem either.
Negates the need for third party software, no VPN required and there's no reason why he can't use his own computer rather than saturating company property with p**n and MyFace.

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The laptop would be work provided, and they'd be VPN'ing in (CAG). VPN here can't be used in conjunction with the proxy.

Tbf, for one person it's way too much work :p

Sent the manager a link to Work Examiner, cheers Darren.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yup. Be cheaper for your boss to have a sneaky drive round there one day and see what he's up to, catch him on ChatRoulette in his pants etc...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
The laptop would be work provided, and they'd be VPN'ing in (CAG). VPN here can't be used in conjunction with the proxy.

Tbf, for one person it's way too much work :p

Sent the manager a link to Work Examiner, cheers Darren.

You use sccm don't you? If so then stick client on the work laptop you give them, they get connection to the server so it can upload the software metering data according to your schedule when they vpn in :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
We do use SCCM, but we barely scratch it's surface tbh

At the moment it's only used for rolling out machines

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
If the worker in question had any brains, he'd have a second PC to toss about on. As long as the work gets done, I don't see the problem really. Your boss is a c**t.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
We do use SCCM, but we barely scratch it's surface tbh

At the moment it's only used for rolling out machines

Software metering is piss easy, even you could do it no problem without so much as uttering the word c**t ;)

It's not as in depth as an app designed to monitor what people are doing, but it'll log whenever an application is started, and how long it's used for.

Best bit is, unless you've actively turned it off, it's already doing it for you. SCCM picks the 50 (I think it's 50, might be 100) most used apps in your estate and automatically creates metering rules for them.

Then it's just a case of configuring/tweaking the web reports, or if a standard one does the job even better, to get the info you want.

So do you only use it for imaging? That's the only thing I won't/don't use it for as it's always been crap compared to other solutions, although I really should give it another go.