ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Honest opinions - 172 Cup suspension

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
Can you really improve on it as an all-round compromise?

I have the cash to go for H&Rs, but is it worth it? Will a gain a car that is solid, but loses feel?

Can you improve on the standard setup - if it can be seriously improved upon I reckon I'll do it.

M2 Competition
h&r's are indeed really good. Improves the car.

Have tried all the springs, leda's and h&r's. That or save your money and keep it standard, standard is fun and fast cross-country.

clio 172 cup
I put Eibachs on my 172 cup.

Cant remember which ones, but they only lower it 15mm at the back and 25mm at the front.

They are superb springs. It was my worry that it would be uncomfortable and harsh, but its just the opposite of the standard suspension.

More comfy, handles loads better. Doesn't crash and bang into potholes just soaks them up with a nice solid thud.

Its the first thing I would do to my next car.

Hope that helps, Darren

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
h&r's are indeed really good. Improves the car.

Have tried all the springs, leda's and h&r's. That or save your money and keep it standard, standard is fun and fast cross-country.

Agree with the last statement 100% If you use the cup as a B road weapon, imo you can't beat some Ebaich pro lines. Hardly drops the car, so keeps the long suspension travel for all the bumps, but stiffens it more than the standard set up. I really liked it, but just wanted my Cup lower as im a ponce :eek:

LY 200
I had some compbrake solid topmounts on my stock 172cup suspension, turn in and feel is much better.

However the ride is rather rigid and you really do feel potholes etc

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I can't comment on a modified setup, but I've done 104k including more than a few trackdays/sprints in it, all on 3 standard sets of springs/dampers.

As an all round compromise, they're pretty f***in' good :approve: Renaultsport got it spot on IMO.

ITB'd MK1
AST coilovers each and every time IMO, straight out the box with no proper setting up they have transformed the handling of each car so far that I've put them on and the ride remains perfect. Once they've been aligned they just get better

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Fitted pro-lines to my cup and although there isnt much of a drop, it just levels the car out a bit. As for driving its kept the cup feel but feels more sure footed and less roll.
Not a close up but you get the idea (nice overalls!!)
kodakcamera510.jpg

RIP cup, now 172ph1
lol looks higher than mine in that pic! well im going to get some pros next month hopefully may aswell try them for the price..

ex-H&R'd Cup
yeah H&R are good on motorways but absolutely useles on B-roads. Gonna change back to standard as you just end up bouncing along roads and constantly loosing traction.

Hard cornering on smooth roads is fun with em though :)

I can't comment on a modified setup, but I've done 104k including more than a few trackdays/sprints in it, all on 3 standard sets of springs/dampers.

As an all round compromise, they're pretty f***in' good :approve: Renaultsport got it spot on IMO.

can i ask if there was a very real improvement each time you renewed?
i think i should really do the lot on mine as well, but don't fancy the cost of genuine springs. from other comments, maybe Eibachs + std dampers?

ex-H&R'd Cup
i think i should really do the lot on mine as well, but don't fancy the cost of genuine springs. from other comments, maybe Eibachs + std dampers?

how much are standard springs then?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Nope.

I changed them at 45k each time...each set were still going strong but I'm one for preventative maintenance.

thanks for that. was hoping that'd be the case as i've not noticed a big improvement renewing undamaged OE springs/dampers on past cars before - wasn't sure if the RS was a special case (again)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bilstein's every time for me, would never buy anything else from what I've tried/experienced. If you decide on H&R's I'd seriously consider the bilstein's instead!