ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horn Wiring ,etc

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
Hi. I've recently put a momo wheel and boss on my 172 cup. All working exactly as I wanted, airbag resistors in place, horn parping nicely...and then in true idiot style, I ignore the old "if it aint broke, dont fix it" rule...
I decided that I should definitely take the horn push off in order to cut off the earth contact wire that sticks out of the horn button that people have had short out and cause sparks.
Now I cant get the damned thing to parp again. Logic would suggest that the only thing I could have done is pull out one of teh horn wires somewhere. Well, I've jiggled them all and prodded and touched wires together and changed the fuse and it still wont bloomin well work.
I will take 12v to teh horn unit itself and the multimeter to the wiring it later, but in the meantime, does anyone have a suggestion as to what i've done and/or what I should check? I do notice the odd click from the squib every so often whe i turn the steering wheel.
Why cant I stay away from "fixing things until they're broken?"
cheers

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
If you touch the negative and positive ends of the horn together it sounds the horn, have you tried that to rule out an issue with the button itself?

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
In the fuse panel on the side of the dash? Yes. Mind you, is there a relay or anything else for the horn on these?
cheers for the reply.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Squib wiring is probably melted together. Mine went up in smoke a while back.

Bang a ph1 indicator stalk on with push button to bypass it

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I believe if you wire the pos to your left ball and neg to your right ball, you will get the horn!

(here all week)

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
Hi. Having narrowly avoided electricitifying my nuts....

I have checked resistance etc through the wiring. A bit of jiggling about, now means that the horn works if the steering wheel is between the 1 o clock and 10 o clock position. Between 10 and 1, the horn will not sound. I'm afraid I'm not sure of the correct terms here, but once the horn wires (red and black) come out of the boss, they go into a rotating circular plastic disc (the squib?). This rotating disc presumably allows electricity to flow to the horn wires whilst the steering wheel is turning. I imagine it does this via brush contacts ? Could these be on the way out which is why I'm not getting connectivity whilst the steering wheel is in certain positions?
Any idea if its a fix or a replacement part thats needed?
cheers for the help chaps. Its what makes this forum brilliant!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
As above new squib is needed. I tried to repair mine but was totally shot, was doing the same as yours only working in certain positions before it went up in smoke. 2nd hand cheap enough

172 Ph2
I need a squib with the horn on the end of the indicator stalk for my Ph2 172. There are lots on eBay for the lesser models i.e. 1.2DCi that have this, any idea if these are compatible?