ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how can i make my 1.4 faster

yes i know its never gonna be anything more than a car for doing the weekly shopping in but since puttin my install in the cars slowed down a bit and wouldnt mind gettin a bit of power back.

my m8 mentioned cams.

what can i do without breaking the bank to make it a bit faster?

any ideas would be appriciated, already have an exhaust and a half a tonne of mdf

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Your best bet to start with would be to get it chipped I would imagine. I think this costs around £250(?) but Im not too sure.

Like you, my car has become noticeably slower since I started putting in some ICE so a chip is definatley going to be my next mod once Ive paid for my wheels and suspension.

Rick

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

I wouldnt have thought u would notice a lot of difference with a chip in a 1.4, especially for the price!

Id start with a full exhaust and a decent air filter and take it from there.

You could of course buy a valver/williams/megane/R5 GTT lump and shove it under the bonnet.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Sorry didnt read u already had an exhaust on your motor. Is it a full system?

I think cams etc would be well over a grand, although im not 100%. Im considering it on mine at some point in the future..

Cant think of a lot else to be honest....but im sure there are a few other options available..

Cheers matey

"yes i know its never gonna be anything more than a car for doing the weekly shopping"

You would be surprised.

I still have my 1.4 aswell as the Williams cause i just cant bring myself to get rid.

Its kicking out 130bhp and is mega fun to drive. Admitidly it has had alot of cash spent on it and Hill Power built the engine but it was worth every penny.

The best fun is when Boy Racers in Saxos come charging up behind thinking there gonna go flying past. There face is a picture when you leave em standing.

Speak to Nick at Hill Power and hell give you the low down on what can be done.

Dazz

Skoda Fabia vRS

you will definitely be surprised at the difference a chip on a 1.4 makes, ive got a Hill Power one on mine and it made a LOT of difference, its the only mod ive done that ive actually thought made a decent difference, the others mods though are building blocks i guess (filter + zorst)

FRST and 106 GTi

Dazz F, man... you got to let me know the secrets of yours RT... 130bhp?? Im working so it can deliver 110bhp...

if its a big post, mail me at butre_msg@hotmail.com

thanks.

How much was the chip BRUN? Including fitting etc? Did they give a power chart or anything? Its just something Ive always thought of doing but couldnt afford. I read a post awhile back about getting 100bhp out of the engine, steps included getting a laguna throttle body and reboring it... apparently its possible try looking for that post, it was a few months back.

Andi

Skoda Fabia vRS

i think its £145 / £155 from Hill Power

no i didnt get a graph, but Nick takes you for a drive when its done to test the fuelling, and when i had mine done, the LED was sittin at the Max Power stage

also, mine just made 74bhp at the rollers, which i reckon is about 93bhp at the fly, as you know the car is 80bhp as standard at the fly

Is deam that as pretty good, did you lose any features, like cold start roughness etc? I dont know much about ecus but that sounds good. Where do you notice the power increases most?

FOR SALE - Mk1 V6

brun what have you done to the engine??
im running 77 at the wheels and nick worked it out to around 88 at the fly, then went to another one and got 88 at the fly.
ive got cat-back twin zorst and k+n.

BMW 320d Sport

Depends how mad you wanna go. Best way to go fast is just to totally strip the whole thing out and ditch the spare wheel. It makes a difference.

350z & 16v Maxi

Clio-Racer it was my post before about the Laguna throttle. I will go over it again as it is a pretty cheep way of getting over 100bhp. First of all (After a filter and a full exhaust system), get a gas flowed and ported head, big valves and a reprofiled cam, get a Laguna 1.8 single point throttle, have the bore on your inlet manifold overbored to match the new throttle, put it all together and have it chip. It is fantastic. You can get the cam reprofiled in different ways o give you acceleration, top end so on. I had all my work done by a garage round the corner from me, I am quite friendly with the owner he as a 16v as well just now with over 200bhp. I spoke to a company called 5 alive at the time and were very well priced for the head and cam work, and I am also think Ben R would be good for it to.

PS

I can now access the forums since the new ones came on as I couldnt access the old ones.

there is ALOT you can do....only mimiting factor is your budget!

you could get 100bhp/ltr with enough work.........but i would bean either carbs or individual TBs.

best not to get a reprofiled cam, but one froma new blank.....newman cams can help....reprofiled ones are when they take metal OFF the cam, leading to less lift in some cases.

FRST and 106 GTi

for 3 mouths now I just dont know what to do yet... :(

BenR, yeap... Im aware of that, but where can I get a brand new cam "fast road" spec??

I can get mine reprofiled for 250Eur... with any spec at my will.

Today I almoust had to get out and push the car so I could pass a fiesta 1.25

What he had in it, I dont know, but I do know that it was going pretty good.

Only made once at the rollers. Not a bright idea since I was having ignition problems... 45bhp at the wheels. :( yeap. I knew that it was a slow clio_snail.

350z & 16v Maxi

I had a re-profiled cam, i had everything i listed on mine, 114bhp at the fly. I got it re-profiled as i was on a budget saving for my valver and it was fine.

FRST and 106 GTi

Colin_s, can you give me numbers of your re-profiled cam? What about the CO measuring?

Trying to get all this done on a 1k Eur budget. Its going to be hard to pull.

GR7

Shiny red R32

CSMatt, you wrote "How can I make my 1.4 faster"?

Get Nick Read to tow you up the M1 when he uses his nitrous stuff:cool:

Would that be fast enough for you?

350z & 16v Maxi

BUTRE I dont have my RT anymore so cant get you any info off it. It was about 2 years ago I did all that and cant remember much. It only cost me £800 to have it all done, but I got a good deal on the labour as the garage owner is business acquaintance of mine.

FRST and 106 GTi

thanks Colin_S for all the info...

Everything is set up to get my RT engine worked... opps missing the laguna throttle. Hard to find... waiting for some reply from spain. :(

Untill than, Im studing how to work a Garret T2 into this one. Just had in my hands last weekend a T3... damn pretty nasty.

Can anyone tell me if the GTT has got forged pistons? Im lost in this.

FRST and 106 GTi

It reminds me something else... I know it has to wast fuel if you want power, but... after tuning up your RT, how is the fuel consumption?

12lts/100km ? 15lts?