ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How did you find ClioSport

Lots of Alfas

Was looking into buying first proper car and did search for clio, FIrst i found some other clio site, think it was http://www.cliosport.nuwww.cliosport.nu and followed link to here and have been hooked since.

BMW 320d Sport

Cool to read about how people got into Cliosport, and great to see you all seem to like it. It brings back hazy memories...

Theres a few real old schoolers on here from what I can tell...there were a few of us on that old email list as I recall, and it turned out that a fair proportion seemed to be from Essex/London. We started meeting up at Southend every so often and we were pleased to get half a dozen of us turning up there, but it was a real big deal as it seemed to be always us lot with our Clios and every time we had a few more Clios turn up. In those days there were really RSC meetings but for some reason we hardly ever saw anything but Clios. Some of you who were in on those early pre-Cliosport things will remember there was a geezer who was in charge of the email list, who occasionally would weigh in and start moaning about what we were chatting about - mainly cos he had fixed it so he got copies of every single email that was distributed and his inbox was clogged up with crap LOL. I cant remember his name, hope hes not on here still...

Anyway, after a while seeing the same people every time, Jas, Mel, Simon, Pele, Leigh, Wongy, Tony and far too many others to list, eventually we thought its high time we did our own thing and kind of branched off from RSC. I already had some content from my old Clio website dedicated to the 16v, Jas was an expert with the computers and I remember us all debating on the old email list about what to call the club cos there were a number of addresses still available. http://www.cliosport.netwww.cliosport.net got the vote and Jas got the website and club up and running and became chairman - I took events cos thats what I had been doing for RSC anyway in my area - Southend/Essex.

As most of us were still nominally RSC members and Hill Power was having an open day, a whole bunch of us came up from Essex, picking up more Clios on the way and by the time we got to Nick Hills workshops we had around 30 Clios in our convoy - thats probably technically the day Cliosport started signing on members beyond the first few people involved in kicking it all off.

I cant rightly remember how many new members we signed that day, on the promise that the club needed their support and that we would get bigger and better - and that we were not an alternative to RSC but more an organisation just for Clios that could run alongside it. Since then the situation has changed but a lot of us on here have RSC roots if you go back far enough. I dont have many good pictures of the old Southend meets back in the day, but a good one here that always makes me smile when Im leafing through My Pictures - me, Leigh and Adam at Santa Pod, 2000 sometime? Im not sure.

http://www.nick-read.demon.co.uk/Nick Leigh Adam.jpg">

And one of the pre-meeting on Hill Power open day, October 2001, this is Fosse Park in Leicester, I think we got sent packing by an over-zealous security guard in the end...

http://www.nick-read.demon.co.uk/hill power day.jpg">

PS Im pretty sure thats Louise in that picture.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 03 May 2004

I joined on just about the first day it started as a club at a Hillpower open day (member number 1017). Its not a patch on what it used to be, but Im still here even though I dont have a clio anymore, so cant moan too much ;)
I remember that day well ;)

i was jus interested to see where everyone came from! it seems most people were either their from the start with the mailing list jobby or found cliosport on google!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Bah, so do I. Its easier getting blood from a stone than getting £2 from those new members at hill power, even though they got a free carnoisseur catalogue worth more than that!

Yes, you guys know who you are ;)

Nick, you forgot to mention the night we all (Jas, Mel, you, Si, Neil, Slugger and me) sat round eating dinner at The Plough & Sail on the old A130 and deciding on actually "going for it" as a club! Yu threatened to take a hacksaw to the front of the yellow one if I remember right !!! :eek:

We were the original admin, and most of us are still there :D Since then others have come and gone, and others have come and stayed !! ;)

(note to self, need to get out more and get life, two and a half years of doing admin is maybe toooo long !!!)

heard it mentioned on the 19.com forum i used to frequent. Started looking when i got me little pocket rocket. Its one of the best foums because theres usually loads of people dropping in and adding their two penneth.

Trophy

Think i first saw it in Revs, but didnt have much interent access.
Mate with a 172 had a look and told me it was crap.
When i finally got online and looked.....

Well, you know the rest.

Mat.

*no-one mentioned me being the first big trekker*

:-(

After a 3 hour drive to southend for one of the first "meets" and a 3 hour drive back, my turbo died - with 10,000 miles on it.

Oh, and no-one mentioned my drug habit?

I found it on Yahoo groups really early on, and used the forum for ages, before I joined up.

/y0z

My storys boring lol!

I had a cliosport leaflet thingy put on my car at southend at the end of May meet hehe :)

and it all went from there....lol!

Vix :)

[Edited by powelly on 04 May 2004 at 11:50am]

williams and trophy

lol...where to start...fukkin hell...member of rsc first off.....e-mail list before it went to yahoo, then on to yahoo then on to this club..

went to the hill power open day but was in me black valver then, followed a willy in with hill power stickers on the back but he was bein a pussy n wunt race me...........never found out who that was lol......isnt that the time the absolutely awful, supposed ULTIMATE HOT HATCH as voted for revs or summat was there??.....sorry if it is/was ur car but..................it was ruff then mate lol

had a meet at pod with the southern lads once, but its too far for me to be travellin all the way down there when yorks soo close lol, so started chattin to clio owners at york an pointin them this way, maybe a few have taken my advice.........i dunno lol

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by ClioDan on 02 May 2004

i only found it searching on google for info on clios! then i got sucked in and now i cant get away! lol
same ere

searched for clio clubs on google, and this arrived, and now im adicted.

Who wants to join ClioSporters Annonamous(sp)??

was looking at buying a VTS or a Valver, i was a member at the time of Ford Forum so decided to look for a Saxo forum and found SSC then looked for Clio forum and found CS!

Asked a few qustions then went and bought a valver that afternoon:D

Never looked back (apart from to look at the VTS behind ;)lol)

BMW 320d Sport

LOL yeah too bad Mel, I managed to duck out of doing the Cliosport paperwork. Yes I remember the admin meets at the pub...a good time had by all. I never really figured out when Kathy and Wayne got together, but there you go, Cliosport must be a very friendly club!

And Yoz mate, I think you may have been pipped to the post for travelling to a Cliosport meet - didnt Ben H come to Southend from SCOTLAND that once? Mental. but theres no doubting you have covered some serious distances to get to Cliosport events Yoz.

GR7

Shiny red R32

I learned about ClioSport when I was thinking about buying a Clio in 2001 and I saw an ad in Auto Trader for a Mk 1 Clio. I e-mailed the owner and found out that he lived in Edinburgh. I didnt buy his car as I then realised that the Mk 2 was coming out, and wanted to wait to see what it was like, but the guy gave me the ClioSport website address as he said it might be useful to me and I have been here ever since! So blame him, its his fault! ;)

:cool:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I was looking for naked pics of that "Nicole" bird from the adverts.. err.. nevermind.. :oops:

i was lookign for leather interior on load sfo sites for my valver when i bought it, and got an email form nick reid i think, sayign come on here may be abel to find it, and hee i am few years later.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

i became a member wen i wanted to lower my car and cudnt get the lowering guide without becoming a member! now all i do is post on the forum! (the only thing i use!)

I found it via the lagunasport.co.uk links page which a Google search hit on. I was thinking about replacing the R5 GTT which Id written off with a 182 (I also considered a ST170, Type R, Cupra, or GSI - what was I thinking) and through It might prove useful to look at a owners club web page. I was previously a member of the brilliant rtoc.org (Renault Turbo Owners Club).

Nick