ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how different is a 172cup to drive versus 182?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
cup after 220 miles.. still had over half a tank left!

That's really impressive. I can get no where near that tbh. On the m-way in the old 172 I got about 200 which was full on half a tank, but I was going 80.

Tbh, I have to say owning both a 182 and 172 the 182 is worse on fuel than the 172. Well, the trip certainly reads lower.

The average on this last tank in the T was 34 which is a good 2/3 less than I used to get in the 172 but since it's new, it does get a bit more of a hard time so maybe not the best time to draw comparisons. However, I have noticed in general it's not quite as good.

The 172 used to return 36-38 which did include a fair twatting.

172 Cup
I wasn't driving at 56mph all the way tbh like the pic shows, on a long motorway stint like that you get the old urge to play with the odd audi tt, bmw etc. 'just a clio' scenario, and i can never resist.

...ever :eek:

Astra SRI/ Hornet
different gearing not heard that one before!

Try driving 1 then and it will take all of 3 gear shifts to see with your own eyes. And I was meaning with the weight difference which didn't think needed to be mentioned.

For arguements sake 3rd 85 mph/ 172. 3rd 90mph/ 182 then 110 mph in 4th/ 172 and 120mph in 4th for 182. Just facts I'm
quoting cos owning both cars I wouldn't know anything ; ).

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
It amazes me the amount of people who get a 'hot hatch' and then manage to achieve 42 mpg with it:O do you ever go above 2000 revs? :rasp:

Just because the car can go fast, doesn't mean you 'have' to drive it fast (a 42mpg return doesn't necessarilly equate to constant <2krpm).

The opportunity to go quick doesn't present itself a lot when I am driving. I have my other car to rev the tits off, but that'll be on a track.

There were a few reasons I bought my car, not many of them were to do with the performance of it. ;)

172 cup
mine returned low 30's before the tinkering started

then matched inlets, CAF, panel filter and , mapped and were upto high 30's 40's if im really carefull.

On the track your talking low 20's if not even lower if really pushing it. Averaged 16.8mpg at marham couple of weeks back

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
from my experience but I have a 182 maybe a cup will have 10% more mpg but imo its doubtful - normal driving will see 29-32mpg, mway if you reset the trip will give 35-38ish mpg, spirited driving have seen below 20mpg when the trip has been reset

How the hell did you see below 20mpg on the roads. I reset mine the other week and went for a "good":eek: 60 mile thrash on the open moors and got it down to 23.8.
On the other hand coming back through France and back up north (600 mile trip) got 38mpg doing a steady 80-90 most of the way. I was happy with that. Sticking to 70 I once got 47mpg over 80 miles but that was way to boring!

320d
With regards to fuel economy. In my ph1 when me and my Dad brought it back from Dorset. Cruising at 80-90mph, including a 20 minute traffic jam it retured 44.3 MPG on the trip computer. Its perfectly achieveable.

Cups have less luxuries than a 182. The main problem I found with the Cup was as TheBoosh said, insurance. Some companies are funny about the lack of ABS and with my age I decided on the PH1 172 as it was the best compromise between a Cup and PH2 172.

MCS R56
It's funny all the people who think the lack of ABS is just outright dangerous! How did we ever manage for the past 100 years without it? Or did every car before ABS was invented find a bush or wall as soon as the there was reason to brake?

I had my Cup for 5 years and locked the brakes once because I tried to lock them. I'm not saying ABS is a bad thing but it wouldn't be a consideration when buying a car. Also, I managed to average 380 miles out a tank of fuel based on an economical drive to work and the occasional blast now and again.

There is minimal difference in performance between any of the 2.0 Clios. Between the 182 Cup and the 172 Cup, I think the 172 version feels rawer and therefore, more fun but there is not much in it. There are certainly no performance gains from the stated extra 10hp. It would seem that it's a lottery as to what power you get from a Clio.

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
Average 32mpg in the trophy mixed driving, most ive seen is 40. Lowest, err.. 23 probably.
I dont care, its a 2.0 at the end of the day.. I think its great I see 30mpg on most trips...

MCS R56
Average 32mpg in the trophy mixed driving, most ive seen is 40. Lowest, err.. 23 probably.
I dont care, its a 2.0 at the end of the day.. I think its great I see 30mpg on most trips...

I saw 30mpg (just) in my 3.0 BMW. A 2.0 should be good for mid 30's with mixed driving, imo. Suppose it depends on how tuned the engine is and the driving of course.

182 FF
One of the best cars i ve had for fuel economy, i got 37 mpg normal driving last week :D
As for the people saying if you get good economy - your not driving it right,i only got the car as a more practical altermative to the Scoob and just wanted a bit of power when you need it, as not every one gets a hot hatch to thrash every where!

MCS R56
One of the best cars i ve had for fuel economy, i got 37 mpg normal driving last week :D
As for the people saying if you get good economy - your not driving it right,i only got the car as a more practical altermative to the Scoob and just wanted a bit of power when you need it, as not every one gets a hot hatch to thrash every where!

Exactly. And it's not a waste of a car either.

BMW M135I
Comments most people are coming with are generally true, on a trip to Stoke from Doncaster area which i do every week down the M1, across the A38 and A50 give me between 38 and 44 mpg and then guning it back over the Staffordshire Moors, Derbyshire Dales and peak district give me about 35mpg (if im lucky) and minimum of 20 mpg (due to hills, traffic etc_but by the time im back into Doncaster after the Parkway and other roads im back up to 39 at least and thats taking it to at least to 3k revs after limiting it over the moors with hard braking constantly

Nissan 370Z
good discussion...price wise tho..would you rather pay 4-4.5k for a mint cup with extras like exhaust, coils..ported head..etc.

or 5k for a pretty average 182?

Low 30s when ragging it?

Low 30s is a good figure for me for round town driving if im driving economically while I could get 15-20 mpg when driving enthusiastically, It went down to 12 mpg once for a couple of minutes.

Has it been serviced regularly?

I gave mine a full overhaul when I got it a few months ago and has been very economical. Was suprised how good it was on fuel actually to cars I have had in the past.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
I went from a 1.4 to a 2.0 and I would say there isn’t even 50miles on a full tank difference.
300-350 vs 290-320
I absolutely kained the 1.4 everywhere but in the 2.0 you just don’t have to try as hard.

Never had a car with abs and never needed one, do you guys just drive 3 foot from the guy in front and stamp on the brakes every 10 minutes or what?

MCS R56
Never had a car with abs and never needed one, do you guys just drive 3 foot from the guy in front and stamp on the brakes every 10 minutes or what?

Exactly! Maybe if it wasn't available, people would drive better/safer?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
lol @ the bell ends that think not having ABS is hero worthy status.

Dont stay up too late tonight proving too many people wrong on the interwebz.

Paaa-Riccck's!

MCS R56
lol @ the bell ends that think not having ABS is hero worthy status.

Dont stay up too late tonight proving too many people wrong on the interwebz.

Paaa-Riccck's!

:lolup:All anyone has basically said is that ABS is not crucial in order to stop a car.

Judging by the amount of posts you have written, I think it will be you that's up late on the interwebz.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
:lolup:All anyone has basically said is that ABS is not crucial in order to stop a car.

Judging by the amount of posts you have written, I think it will be you that's up late on the interwebz.

Yeah thats Dual Accounting im afraid mate.

I dont try and prove people wrong mate i make mild observations of the heros who need life insurance as standard when purchasing the god of thunder that is a 172 Cup.

Christ almighty, some of you make it sound like a fucking Caterham the way you go on!

MCS R56
Yeah thats Dual Accounting im afraid mate.

I dont try and prove people wrong mate i make mild observations of the heros who need life insurance as standard when purchasing the god of thunder that is a 172 Cup.

Christ almighty, some of you make it sound like a fucking Caterham the way you go on!

And this doesn't happen with most models on every forum?

Williams, V6, Trophy, Ph1...

Caterham? Okay.

LY 200
i make mild observations of the heros who need life insurance as standard when purchasing the god of thunder that is a 172 Cup.

LOL - Thats funny/true as f**k but to be fair plenty of you 'ph-quickers' are just as bad! ;)