ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do i spray my engine cover?

172 gone :( 197 now :)
I have primer, spray and laquer what grades of wet and dry do i need? Can anyone explain the process for me?

VX220 Turbo
rub it all down to give it a key then use an etch primer making sure you've got all the edges done.

use a hair dryer etc to make sure the paint is all dry before doin any other layer.
paint using many thin layers of paint especially around the dimples at the back of the cover as these can fill with paint and look crap.
then laquer it.

wet and dry atart with about 800 to key the panel then between coats use 1200 WET,

you can if you are skilled enough use 2000 wet before you laquer but unless you know what you are doing it may make things worse.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
Just done mine today, only gave it a quick rub over before using a plastic primer. This covered a multitude of sins and dried quite fast.

Then gave it 2 quick coats, paint was same basic colour as primer.

Once done I used a matt spray varnish so that it didn't have a crazy shine. Did the top of the air filter and fuse box as well.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
Not too shabby me thinks for nearly 85K

Attachments

• red bay 1.jpg
    red bay 1.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 260
  • red bay 2.jpg
    red bay 2.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 246
  VX220 Turbo
do you want it in just plain black vinyl?

if so send me your address and i'll see what I can sort out on my dinner break at work i'll cut one out of black vinyl

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
gutted, got my oil changed at kwick fit today.

a. the grease monkey took over an hour to get the oil filter off
b. left my engine bay minging and snapped the engine tray bolts
c. scratched my newly painted engine cover.

sometimes i wonder if its all worth it.

Clio 1.2 8V Authentique
I dont have an engine cover on my 1.2 mrk3 Clio and i was wondering if they come standard or not? If not where could i buy a cheap one where i can paint it myself?!?!

Mk1 Maxim Sport
If you dont use heat resistant paint then im guessing eventually the paint will crack and flake off under the intense heat.

i'm probably gullable like that , i used a celluose base paint on the engine cover as well as the plenum and fuel rail .

Mk1 Maxim Sport
lol well he is one of them half a job kinda guys, starts something, cant be bothered and ends up rushing it, btw heres a pic of me boot now iv sprayed it and taken the wiper off, what ya rekon FMF ??

Attachments

• 20072007113.jpg
    20072007113.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 173