ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do spacers fit on?

I know this may seem like a stupid question but im genuinely confused about how hub centric spacers fit on the hub.

I have been looking at sets like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delta-Mics-25mm-Wheel-Spacers-RENAULT-Clio-4x100-602-/400315703554

Now in the description it says Fitted onto the hub using the nuts and/or bolts supplied in the kit. The wheel is then attached to the spacer using the original bolts and nuts. The spacer has a centre bore to exactly match the diameter of the hub collar.

This is where i start to get confused. I know on the hub there is the 4 holes your wheel bolts go in to, so where do you screw the bolts provided into? and also where do you put your wheel bolts.

i know this is probably really simple and im just not getting it but if any one can help it would be much appreciated

Thanks

182cup & 172 racecar
Those spacers in the link have 5 holes?

But you would put them on the hub, line up the holes, and then proceed to fit your wheel as normal, using the wheel nuts provided.

​Your old wheel bolts are no longer needed as they would be too short.

If im right...

Hubcentric spacers will bolt onto the hub, then you bolt the wheel to the spacer.

So the 4 holes you would normally bolt your wheels to, you would now bolt your spacer to.

Then you bolt your wheels to the 4 remaining holes in the spacer, job done :)

Last edited:
there are 2 types of spacers you can get...

TYPE-1 - Spacer with 4/5/6 holes (depending on stud pattern) you would use these willl sit directly on the hub lip lined up with the holes and use longer wheel bolts (typically the stardard wheel bolt + the size of the spacer so 21mm standard bolt + 10mm spacer you will need a 31mm bolt)

TYPE-2 - Hubcentric spacer with 8/10/12 holes (depending on stud pattern) the inset holes would be used to bolt the spacer to the hub with the bolts supplied with the spacer kit, you would then use your standard bolts to fit the wheel to the spacer.

Type-2 spacers are usually more expensive as they are silghly safer, as they are bolted wheel to spacer, spacer to hub instead of bolted wheel through spacer to the hub.

If the Type-1 spacers are fitted incorrectly then it can cause them to slip and you can be saying goodbye to one of your wheels. But fit them properly and you will not have any problem what so ever

Hope it helps bro :)

Yeah the picture in that ad is just a generic image, hubcentric spacers use a few bolts to bolt onto the hub first, then you use your original bolts to bolt the wheel onto the spacer.
If you go for those delta mics - it's pretty important you clean and sand down the hub mating face, otherwise the delta mic spacers have been known to knock/shake and work the wheel loose - there have been a few horror stories on here, but on the flipside, plenty of people use them without issues.

​Dan@MAD on here sells hubcentric spacers in various widths also!

Hubcentric only means that it has a lip to locate the wheel on. You can get hubcentric spaces that don't bolt to the hub.

Cup In bits
Hubcentric only means that it has a lip to locate the wheel on. You can get hubcentric spaces that don't bolt to the hub.

Exactly, you get both bolt to hub 'hubcentric' and bolt through 'hubcentric' spacers.

Rule of thumb is you want to fit hubcentric spacers if you are going any thicker the the spigot of the hub.

Exactly, you get both bolt to hub 'hubcentric' and bolt through 'hubcentric' spacers.

Yeah thats what i'm running on the C1 "bolt through hubcentrics", I'm just gonna do the the exact same for the Clio as soon I find a quality set of alloys

Damn I cant wait to get my Clio up to the same standard as the C1, it will look amazing :approve:

Cup In bits
I run FK automotive 10mm bolt through type on track with no problem and there cheap. You will have to grind down the hub spigot for anything less than 15-16mm hubcentric iirc.

Clio 182 FF
As the others said, there's two types of spacers. First type is the ones that your bolts/studs go through (and you'll probably need longer bolts/studs). Second type are ones that you bolt to the hub & then bolt the wheel to the spacer.

General wisdom is that around 15mm is the crossover point between the two types.

Dan from MAD is an approved trader on here - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...*-5MM-10MM-15MM-20MM-25MM-30MM-PRICE-LIST-ETC (his bolt through ones aren't hubcentric and his bolt to hub ones are hubcentric).

Thanks for the advice, Have all helped a lot. Confusion solved llf. Just need to work out what size now definitely want my wheels to stick out more and basically be flush with the bodywork. Hate how far the wheels sit under. Spoils the look completely imo

The wheels i have have just been sent away to get refurbed and sprayed but on a test fit they seem to sit roughly the same as the dynamique wheels i have on at the moment. I was thinking 25mm spacers all round or would that push them out past the bodywork and then be illegal. As i said though just want them to be as close to "flush" as possible.

Couple of pics to show what i mean better.

New Wheels

DSCF0049_zps47b57a23.jpg

Originals on car atm

DSCF0061_zps612736e7.jpg

I'd say they're a bit wider than the dynamique wheels.

25mm might be a bit too much, can't really tell through pics.

Get a tape measure/ruler and see where the wheels would sit if they were 25mm wider.

I'm beginning to think that 25mm might be too much but i might just wait till i have coilovers. will have them ordered in a fort night so once their fitted im sure the measurement will be more precise.