ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How fast is your rt?

mk1 ph2 1.4
So just been out for a drive and found some guy in front in his Focus ST trying it on with me (damn decat attracting interest again) - so followed him for a bit , then at a set of lights (I was behind - single lane), we both gave it some and to my amazement found I was only 3-5 car lengths behind when we both slowed at about 60. Oh yeh, and mine broke quicker too ;)
Those STs are meant to do 0-60 in about 6 and half i thought so not bad going for my tiddly 1.4!

Anyway that has inspired a "How fast is your rt" thread...

to start,

'Performance' mods:

stripped back
K&N induction, heat shield, cold air feed
decat
valver brakes, pagid pads
extensive service

Was getting around 9 and a half to 60 with a mate in the car timing

And before the chav onslaught starts, and the 'mine does it in 6, get a valver' im 18 at college

Oh yeh and engine conversions dont count :rasp:

chris

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
I love my RT, when its warmed up and i'm on a B road its enjoy it, give it a bit moves well for a little 1.4(ignoring R5GTT, just too damn quick), fast for a first car imo.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
um..they are appalingly slow tbh....people say they are quick for a 1.4 but when I drove one it felt like it could'nt pull the skin off a rice pudding.

DUB mk2 golf gti!
rt's are good for what they are,i kno sum1 who has one,fully laden it will still be ahead of my phase 1,1.4 8v! just once u get to about 90-100 it goes abit dead!

1.8 8v RSi
i got a 1.4 rt.....ive got 8.4 seconds to 60 out of it(as standard) i used to have a 1.4 mk 1 106 and that was quicker to 60 than the clio(cause i raced my mates 1.4 rt with it....but soon as i got to 60 the clio went faster......the 106 struggled after 70 mph and the clio carrys on going up to bout 90 then starts to drag a bit.......i got 115 out of my 1.4 on a motorway and 108 on normal roads....just fitted a k&n today n not really noticed much differance appart from sound (which i still would like help on if u wanna look at my "new to induction kits and there sounds" thread)...but im gald this thread has been made :) and were all aloud to have a bit of fun in lower power cars:).... and to be fare.....they are quite quick for 1.4s.....only 1.4 i had that comes close to it is my mk2 astra i had

lol, trust me they are not fast. I drive one (stripped,decat etc), and have driven much quicker cars!
prepare for a slating :rasp:

Pheonix, not a chance you got to 60 in 8.4s!

al

ST on the way...
I had a 1.4 Renault 5 (not Turbo) and that was pretty quick!!

72bhp (standard) with an open ITG filter and s/s exhaust which probably added a little more.

Mk1 Ph2 1.4 RT !FOR SALE!
LMFAO. 8.4 and 9.5 to 60? Behave fellas.
I've got an RT too with a strong engine. When i told my (former renault) mechanic i was thinking of selling he said h'd buy it off me there and then it was such a "strong engine" apparently, and i wouldnt dream of bullshitting them figgures.
I got 18 seconds near enough dead (18.00X) at santa pod with a full interior and spare, and thats pretty much all they;re good for. "Nippy" - what a load of arse. They're economical and well equipped enough for their age (plus good insurance for their looks (i.e. colour coding, fogs etc)) to make them viable to see a scummy student like me through Uni, and nothing else.

Lol, nippy

6/468 17poo
Nyphur the words 'scummy student like me through uni' is exactly what the rt is doing on my drive lol!!!

them figures are absolute toilet, must of had a rolling start-a long one at that!

Final year for me ;) 106GTI on the cards.
My RT is the fastest i've seen an RT go down the strip (out of mine +6 others, inc some stripped out ones), so to be fair, 8.4 etc is utter cobblers

well my mates 1.6i 16v zetec s was 1.5 car lengths ahead, so i was happy. Did over a couple of "bigger" cars too. Like a 1.8i 16v vectra, and a mk2 astra

They're not nippy etc, just light and look good for their age/money is all

6/468 17poo
Same third yr for me roll on either a 106 gti or a 172 wooohooo, speed demon at last!how do students on here afford 172s and stuff not fair!!!

Should see some of the rich boys at my uni driving around in daddy's m3/amg merc's etc. Takes the piss.

My RT has done me well for a first year uni student. As my first car its been pretty quick when compared with my mates first cars - for the same price and similar insurance costs to my friends punto's, 205's and fiestas, its very well equipped and good fun.

Its an 8v 1.4 so words like fast, nippy, sharp etc just dont apply. I will say however, that punting it around the yorkshire dales on those nights out with my friends its never really left me wanting too much more power.

Ive never tried timing the 0-60 as its not really the sort of driving i tend to do, but i estimate around the 11 second mark.

Like i say, as a first car for my initial years driving its done me well and been quick enough. But come April, it will be making way for a valver!

S2000
For what they are I reckon they are quite good wee cars. I'm not saying they are quick my any means, but for a 1.4 8v they compare pretty well to others imo. I can't remember exactly what I was getting for 0-60 on my g-tech on a flat road but I think it was about 10.3 iirc. That, imo, is both a realistic figure and a very reasonable one for what it is. If I can get my g-tech working again I'll see what I get and report back.

Yeah, about 10.5 +/- is right. not 8.6 or whatever the bloke on the last page "achieved"

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
LMAO, give over. The ST probably wasn't even going for it, I used to have an RT and it's like driving a hair dryer compared to most other cars i've driven.

K20 eg 217 whp.
8.6 or whatever is utter b****cks, although the 1.4rt's are quicker than the newer 1.2 16v's.

definately are! i have a 2006 1.2 16v clio as a courtesy car at the moment and its much slower than my RT , may not be that much slower but it feels like a slug compared, although i have de-cat, filter and its srtripped... but still for a 10ish month old car its slooooow!

My rt's also my first car and in a straight line is comparable to my friends saxo 1.4 which is newer, good first car like people say fun and not quick but enough speed to have fun with i think

8.6 or whatever is utter b****cks, although the 1.4rt's are quicker than the newer 1.2 16v's.

definately are! i have a 2006 1.2 16v clio as a courtesy car at the moment and its much slower than my RT , may not be that much slower but it feels like a slug compared, although i have de-cat, filter and its srtripped... but still for a 10ish month old car its slooooow!

My rt's also my first car and in a straight line is comparable to my friends saxo 1.4 which is newer, good first car like people say fun and not quick but enough speed to have fun with i think

Agreed. They are both 75bhp, but the the new ones are weighed down with airbags etc. I ve driven a few new 1.2 16vs and the low mileage ones are dog slow. My mates 04 plate with 12k won't even wheelspin!
My 51plater isn't that bad, nicely run in with 56k on the clock, but I was dead level with a 1.4rt on the bypass the other day.
The older ones feel faster but you have to remember that the newer ones have sound insulation etc so there is less sensation of speed, even at 5k in mine (previous to the induction kit) the engines quiet.

CB600FS
Got mine round to 120mph once (on the clock before you start) f**k me, when I got the DCI I couldn't believe how much of a death trap it felt like compare to a Mk2. Solid engine thought never broke down, only replaced bits I bust on it, shock tops and cv gaiter flying off bridges :eek: Set of shoes after I cooked the drums too lol.

Don't see them as quick to be honest thought, you really have to nail them anywhere to get them to shift

mk1 ph2 1.4
LOL at 8.4, but if you dont believe me that mine does about 9.5, heres a vid, with a poor launch (it was damp) i know the quality sucks, but then so does my camera.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/chrissphotobucket/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

And I couldn't give a s**t if you think it isnt fast, i know it isnt fast, and your 172/182 or whatever car you own is faster, but im 18, at college ffs, and with about £150 ive stripped nearly 2 seconds of my time to 60 and it handles better and stops quicker.
Do you think i can afford the kind of cars that are 'fast'? If i could id go jap anyway. Red type R or EK9 type r over 172/182 any day.

So basically what im trying to say is, if you dont agree or dont like what your reading, go away and do something else, im not making you read this thread.
IMO this forum is full of arseholes that need to grow up.

And I apologise to those genuine people on here, especially the ones that have helped me with problems.:D

Rb 182
Mines wa OK. De-cat, exhaust and filter. Never ran it at Crail/Pod

My ax gt was quick for a 1.4 8v. 16.4 ay crail :)

1.8 8v RSi
0-60 8.4?

Have a word son.

either my lil stop watch is slowin down time for me to make an ass of myself or the engine i have in my car isnt actually the 1.4 ive been told it has then.....ill give it another time when i got the engine fixed lol...its very likey that ur all correct....10+ sounds about right....im not a person to bulls**t, its just not me. I've gone past those days when i used to think my fiat uno could beat a ferrari or something lol. but rest assured, just to try and save any sort of respect i ever had i will do a timming session for you....when my engines fixed(if it is at all broken lol)

Last edited:
  1.8 8v RSi
Timing with a stopwatch LMAO get real
you know.....money isn't easily obtained for me these days.....i dont have the luxuray of a high paid job like most of you....i dont use credit cards liek most of you......for a 1.4 its not worth taking it to a dyno or a drag strip of any sort....i don't ant it to be this amazingly fast car that will wow you all....i just want a car that will get me from a-b and look reasonaly nice doing it...how fast i get there isn't really that important.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Timing with a stopwatch LMAO get real
for a 1.4 its not worth taking it to a dyno or a drag strip of any sort....i don't ant it to be this amazingly fast car that will wow you all....i just want a car that will get me from a-b and look reasonaly nice doing it...how fast i get there isn't really that important.

Indeed you are correct....it does that job well...power/speed are most definatley not in it's forte though. It is what it is.... a good first car comparing it to hot hatchs is pure fantasy.