ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How good is sony Xplod stuff

Just want to know as i need some ice (2 subs and amp). I like my bass but i dont want to spend to much. What the xplod amps like and subs? I hear they are ok and good for the cash. Shall i go for the sony stuff or save a little more and maybe get JBL or somthin

I would hold off for the JBL mate. Or get the Infinity Basslink-X with the 10" live sub and the passive radiator, as its excellent value and would come in cheaper than the sony subs and amp by the time youve bought boxes for the subs, etc. To be honest its worth the difference to go to a better brand. Either that or go for Pioneer or Kenwood for the same money as the Sony stuff, as it really isnt that good.

Not sure about their new pentagon-shaped subs and amps tho, to be honest havent had any experience of that yet, but knowing what their previous stuffs been the quirky shaped gears likely to be basically just a gimmick, and the pentagon-shaped design gives absolutely no acoustic advantage over round subs!! (just like the old 6x9s/square solobarics vs round speakers debates!)

All of the above is just my own view, and Im certain evilice, john and many others will all have their own opinions to contribute as well!!

Definately hold off on the Sonys they are terrible subs..what kind of budget are you working to? I might be able to sort something out for your price range.

If you are on a very tight budget at the moment then you could save up for a bit longer and go for a couple of better subs like you said. Possibly something from JBL or Alpine etc.

Russ

Evil I.C.E Car Audio

Well i have always had JBL speakers so was thinking i cant go wrong on there stuff, so thats an option.

I dont really know what my budget is as i always get a little more tempted by new things and so my spending goes up. I want a cheap gear as possible but want the best quality for the money.

Basicly the ice am looking for:

Screen/screens for sunvisors.

Amp to power 2 subs and maybe my Vibe 6x9s

2x 10" or 12" subs

All wires i need to connect an xbox to the screens and to power it.

Box for the subs.

Accustic shelf for 6x9s.

If anyone can get prices for this stuff it would be great.

Kev

Quote: Originally posted by jamesc2 on 08 April 2003

my R5 is decked out in xplode... and the sound quality if excellent....

if i see you at a meet/event, you will have to have a listen to my set-up, then compare the SQs

sony is sh*te for SQ, sorry you may not believe me, but it is true

and i take that as gospel

The 5s boot looks very nice.

I have been in a car which has 2 12" sony xplod subs and an amp and it sounded good. But if im spending my money i simply want the best availible for the money that i have.

naa i dont like sony stuff either, my mates got some of the xplode stuff, sounds crappy.. i wouldnt touch it

By the way ben j. I found a green valver a few months back as there is now one driving around my town. A 17 yr old owns it (lucky c*nt)

In Saffron Walden (Essex).

I also saw 1 around the sheffield area a little while back but there was somthing strange about it. So i got a feeling it was a base model with the wheels and bonnet etc.

its is definetly a valver then?

rob johnsons look a like valver was green and very good! - untrained eye woulndnt notice at all

The one in my town is defiantly a valver!!! Its nice as well. Phase2 (think N plate). The kid who owns it is a knob though. DADDY brought it for him

There may be a lot more but because the green base model is the same colour as the 16v green, all green 16s look like base models (like yours does).

Only joking mate ;)

wont be blue soon.

A mate of mine spent months looking for a green valver to buy and when he found 1 he had just brought a golf GTI.

350z & 16v Maxi

DO NOT BUY XPLOD

I have some Sony stuff in my setup but it is not xplod, please do not buy it. PLEASE!!!!

350z & 16v Maxi

Thats good, glad youve been talked out of it. Hopefully more people can and Sony will get their act together and start making some good stuff like the used to, stuff like i have in my setup.

350z & 16v Maxi

I wound not recommend you any of their new stuff. Better can be had for the same price. I have a Sony HU and DSP but it is pre Xplod.

ive got two Xplod 10" subs and im well pleased. their running off a legacy amp and for the money, they are good!

they havent got street cred tho!!

I got a MP40 headunit as a stopgap - it plays MP3s (main purpose) and runs the standard (and very very mailto:cr@p">cr@p) speakers. It only cost £125 new so in comparason I would say that it is very good value for money compared to the other MP3 players for £125. It actually looks good in the flesh (plastic) unlike its pic online.

If your going to do a proper install then 80% of people in all the car audio forums I checked said similar to most of the guys on here - it aint as good a similarly priced stuff. But the sound of something is purely down to what you hear and what you like - not what is supposed to be good. Im into Home Cinema a bit and most people wont advise you too much - they tell you to go and listen for yourself as you may like what they dont - thats enough drivel from me;)

sony and jbl are a bit pants - they offer brand name and thats about it - they are reasonably reliable but if u want to actually enjoy your music (or feel it in your chest) then you really need to be looking at kicker or other american brands, they simply represent better value for money - if you look around you can get stuff even from companies such as jensen that wil out perform JBL/sony in a good set up.

You dont need to go to many sound offs,both SQ and SPL to realise that SOny is a brand to steer clear of, or the big manufacturers only Kenwood and Pioneer seem to get a look in, and even then its rarely for the amps/sub/speaker area more like the EQ and head unit side of things.

you should really just go down to a local shop and have a lsiten to as much stuff as u can, and when i say shop i dont mean a halfords with them all in a big display (plus the people there talk from their bottoms), and then based on what u liked the most make a purchase - after all it is u that is the one whos gonna be listening to it the most.

i love kicker (and to a lesser degree jensen) so i am biased but deffo not sony

BSNC

www.woah.co.uk

350z & 16v Maxi

I really dont like Sony either but you info on SOny not being used in SPL or SQ systems is wrong. The CDX-C90 and CDX-C910 HUs are used a lot and also the XDP-210EQ and XDP-4000x.

You will not however see any other Sony stuff in ANY sound offs

i can only speak from experience and peeps in all the sound offs i have been to (andi did do a season last year) i cant recallseeing one sony headunit being used in anything other than a sony sponsered car, all kenwoods, alpine, and clarions mainly - oh and the odd nakamatchi for the big money bastids - lol

BSNC

http://www.woah.co.ukwww.woah.co.uk

350z & 16v Maxi

The units are pre xplod so a bit old know but i know of at least 5 people that compete with the stuff i listed above and am thinking about it myself and have an CDX-C910 and XDP-4000x