ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How hard/what tools required to remove a head

Clio 1.5 DCI
I wont be putting it back together, just taking it apart for inspection. Other than a large torx drive for the head bolts.... is there anything else?

LY 182
taking it aparts a peice of piss, putting it back together involved a few techniqes etc that need to be thought about for a decent rebuild

you also need to think about the fact that unless i had done countless of those particular car personally, i wouldnt take the job on if somebody else had taken it apart

Mondeo TDCI 130
taking it aparts a peice of piss, putting it back together involved a few techniqes etc that need to be thought about for a decent rebuild

you also need to think about the fact that unless i had done countless of those particular car personally, i wouldnt take the job on if somebody else had taken it apart

They are the worst jobs EVER!

Clio 1.5 DCI
Ok sounds good.

I proffesional garage will be putting it/a replacement back together for me. I simply want to take the head of to inspect the damage before it goes in (i dont trust anyone lol).

Does the haynes manual cover this?

LY 182
yeah, i work at a professional garage.

all im saying is, mechanics arent born with an enclyopedic knoledge of how every engine bay is layed out..
yes you can figure it out... but finishing other peoples jobs takes twice the time it would if you started the job..
hence many not taking it on.

why not get them to remove it,, then go in and check it yourself

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
lol i wouldnt do it if it came in the workshop, dont think u will find any1 who will especially on a dci

Clio 1.5 DCI

all im saying is, mechanics arent born with an enclyopedic knoledge of how every engine bay is layed out..
yes you can figure it out... but finishing other peoples jobs takes twice the time it would if you started the job..

Yeap thats a fair point I guess. Just feel a bit lazy as i know I could do the job myself!

Probably cause more trouble than good then i guess lol

why not just go to another garage for a second opinion?

I'm the same as you though

mechanics, builders, plumbers etc etc... dont trust any of them!!

Black Gold Trophy
you also need to undo the headbolts in a particular order, its to keep the the stresses even across the surfaces. You also will want a mate to help as some parts can be a pain, I've never taken one off on a 182, did it on my old 16V corsa, wasnt too bad but there was a lot more room to work with!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
have you got a haynes manual ? that tell you how to do it . another thing were are you going to be stripping the car because if they are refitting the head then you will need to get it transported to them. what tools and knowledge do you have with working on cars .
as for tools all your basic sockets ,spanners ,large adj pliers. torx bits etc ( make sure there good quality last thing you want is a tool failing on you and you having to stop working till a replacement is found .
you will need a female tox bit T45 i think it is ( must be very good quality as it goes under alot of strain) and a torque wrench . you will want a jack to support the engine whilst the drivers side mount is of . think thats everything from what i remember. matt

Clio 1.5 DCI
Thanks Matt. Some very useful info there.

I've found a head/block refurb company local to me who will supply and fit and a very good price and are highly recommended by a few garages round here... so they are collecting the car during the week.

Would have done the whole thing myself but just dont have the time :(

ITB'd MK1

bloody aweful having to put something together when you didn't strip it, I'd charge just as much from a stripped state as having the complete broken engine to pull apart. Takes twice as long to find anything if the bits aren't where you would have put them.

ValverInBits

that advice is gold. Take it.