ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long with the petrol light on

Went to fill up my g/fs 54 1.2 16v last night as she said the light had been on for two days.

Display had no bars on it, and the mileage left was ----

I filled it right to the brim and still only managed 42.66litres.

How far can everyone go with the light on?

Dunno, I never let it get so low....far too many country lanes where I live, its not worth the 10 mile or so hike to a petrol station!! :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by MattsClio on 07 November 2004

I do about 35 miles with the light on
same here

once i did run out of petrol, managed to free wheel it down a big hill to tescos not realising when the engines off the brakes dont work... ooops, careering into a brick wall lucky my mate pulls the handbrake up

Yaris Hybrid

From what I can tell the mileage left figure is a fair bit out.

My car said I had 70 miles left but when I brimmed it to overflowing it was only 38 litres according to the pump. So that leaves 12 litres which is just over two and a half gallons and I was doing 38mpg at the time so really I had about 95 miles left.

Toms been testing how much you can get in by running the car dry I think he got 45 liters in.

Ie nver even seen the light on I get scarerd with less than 200 miles left in the tank.

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 07 November 2004
Running for 2 long on the light can damage your car

How exactly?

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 07 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 07 November 2004

Running for 2 long on the light can damage your car
How exactly?
All the dregs in the tank get drawin into the engine. Although they shouldnt get throught the filter they will block it up so the pump has to workm harder to maintain the correct flow from then on. If it cannot get enough fuel through the blocked filter then youll run lean and have problems.

172 Cup

Maybe in an old knacker but surely in todays age with plastic lined tanks, fuel filters etc the chances of "damaging" you car are next to none..

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 07 November 2004

u can start pulling in sh*t from the bottom of the tank is all
Why, when all you put into the tank is petrol, should there be anything else in there? How can it get inside?

C4 Grand Picasso

I tested my car the other week, had a small petty can in the boot with enough in to get me home. Drove the car for 3 days with the warning light on and finally run out of petrol after 51 miles.

This is a two month old car, so I doubt there is loads of cr*p at the bottom of the tank.

This mightve been the case ten years ago but not nowadays.....

Quote: Originally posted by Levo on 07 November 2004

I tested my car the other week, had a small petty can in the boot with enough in to get me home. Drove the car for 3 days with the warning light on and finally run out of petrol after 51 miles.
How much did u get in when you filled up then?

My Valver is a 50litre tank and I regularly get 45-48litres in......

My friend races 250 cc karts and uses shell optimax as his prefered fuel. One meeting the kart just wouldnt pick up at all and after much head scratching and testing it appeared there was water in the fuel.

Apparently the local petrol stations fuel storage tank had a small crack in it that enabled water and I presume other crap to leak in to it.

It was replaced shortly after.

So anything is still possiblle!

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 07 November 2004
50 litre tank aparently and Ive never seen anyone get more than 43/44 in.

Im not convinced that its a 50 litre tank, even though thats what it says in the handbook. Doing some maths with the figures from the computer on my Mk1 172, it seems to assume that its a 9 gallon tank, i.e. around 41 litres.

Williams 3 == About 36 and then it *does* stop.. and then you *do* need about 49.97litres of petrol..

Trust me.. ask anyone on the Scotland trip! :D

172 GTR

I always wait till the trip read out is at --- miles left, Normally its after 30 - 25 miles left it goes to ---. And can then only get in 47 - 48 litres if I brim it?

2004 1.2 Dynamique

iv had about 30 miles with it on, i dont like it going that far down, because it scrapes all the sh*t out of the bottome of the tank

ST

When the petrol light in my 2003 1.2 16v dynamique comes on when ive got around 40 miles left on the computer......i have been quick enough to see it going to 39 miles left........after that it just goes blank, is this right? The computer in my mates C2 VTR will show it has petrol all the way down to the very last mile!

Quote: Originally posted by JoelDee on 08 November 2004

iv had about 30 miles with it on, i dont like it going that far down, because it scrapes all the sh*t out of the bottome of the tank
Thats what the filters for.

Ziel Nurburgring

Its meant to be pretty acurrate, just a shame the display stops registering at about 45 to go. Reckon ive got mine down to about 5 to go and bottled it.

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 07 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 07 November 2004

u can start pulling in sh*t from the bottom of the tank is all
Why, when all you put into the tank is petrol, should there be anything else in there? How can it get inside?
Petrol has dirt in it.. if you use Optimax etc.. then you should have less of it.

172 Cup

It might have impurities in it but I doubt it has "dirt" in it unless Alan Titmarsh has been down his local Esso in the night..

Theres no harm at all running modern cars low these days with plastic lined tanks and fuel filters.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

I never get much below a 1/4 of a tank, just cant be arsed with the hassle of walking / free wheeling to petty stations, buying a petrol can, putting £5s worth in, then going and having to fill up anyway.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive run the car till I put in just over 50 litres...not on purpose though...thought I could make and did...only just

best ive got is 46litres.

I had an old F reg Ren 19 and when changing the sender unit i could see in the tank, it was spotless. Anything that can get through two filters isnt going to do much harm.