ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How make exhaust quieter?

PH2 172
Im on my 2nd prospeed exhaust now lol. the 1st time exhaust was fine but wanted different backbox then second time i chanegd exhaust style again. but its way to boomy and loud does my nut in. how can i make it quieter it has a decat which i would like keep for the raspy noise a really small middle box and a 3.5 inch tail pipe. spoke my local powerflow and they say no matter how bif middle box is it still be same backbox size wont make no difference and if i put cat bk in then the exhuast will be silent. so what can i do all i want isit be raspy not boomy and louder after 5k

Listerine & Poledo
So, loud, but not loud?

Short of some sort of adjustable valve arrangement, I suspect you're going to be hard pushed to acheive this.

May sound silly, but is your parcel shelf still in place? Have you got a standard boot floor?

PH2 172
I have heard of using a backbox with smaller pipes to make it quieter i was thinking bigger and longer backbox and a sport backbox with smaller tailpipe etc

182 Turbo Project
But remember, the more silencers etc you have, the less raspy it will sound also.

I think it might just have to be something you put up with mate. I know when my 182 had a decat, un silenced centre section, I just had to drive within a certain rev limit on the motorway.

It does get annoying, I am enjoying my car so much more now that I have taken the decat off.

BMW 130i
Put the cat back. Saves you doing it for MOT time anyhow. Performance gains are minor anyhow, should still be plenty loud enough with aftermarket back box.

182 Turbo Project
I just keep reading the title with the voice of Borat in my head...lol

Sorry that it is totally unrelated!

PH2 172
iv got the middle boz in there etc when i ahd the stealth backbox it was bigger and was never as loud was really nice then i changed to the recessed and different back box and booooooommmyyyyy hmmmm may just ahve stick with it if there nowt to be done

BMW 130i
The size of the box will have little affect on volume levels. Its the internal design of the baffles (if any).

Listerine & Poledo
Ask Aston Martin if they can sell you the kit for active exhausts.

Last edited:
  CBR1K, F21 125D
Pretty simple actually, few done it on the there high power DC5's etc - so you can cruise with OEM + noise but then really open it up with a valve when you need to.

IMAG0311.jpg

Megane RS 250
The problems with valves is that they broke down easily, especially with bad wheater or close to the sea.

Even if you go with the Pierburg ones, that are made in Germany and not in Taiwan or Chine like the ones you find on many aftermarket exhaustm, they'll still break down some day.

You could easily design a system with a valve somewhere after the cat, there's not much room on the 172 and it's a drony engine so it'll be probably better to make a new backbox with a Y pipe before it and twin pipes inside the muffler, a drilled 54 mm pipe and a 63,5 mm solid pipe. You'll have two stealth exits behind the bumper, like you see on some 2 liter diesel cars as there's not enough room to merge them after the muffler.
With the valve closed the gas will exit from the smaller silenced pipe, and you'll get a good noise even with a sports cats or a decat pipe (i'm running this configuration on my car with a centre 63,5 mm silencer and the noise levels are spot on for daily use), then with the valve open the gass will mostly pass through the bigger solid pipe due to the lower backpressure and you'll get a very louder sound (even louder that the backbox I was using a month ago, with a drilled 63.5 pipe)

The only problem with such an exhaust is that with a Pierburg valve that costs around 200 euros, plus the custom made backbox with a y pipe, the wiring or wireless control of the valve you're looking at 1000 euros catback system, and I don't think anyone with a 10 year old clio would spend that much!

Also, there's the problem with the weight of such a system, the standard hanger won't be enough.

Something like this (sorry for the roughness of the photoshop job)

clio-exhaust-valve.jpg

On the 182 you could arrange a similar design as you need a big backbox to have ad acceptable noise when cruising at medium-high speeds, obviously with a transversal muffler.

Listerine & Poledo
1000 euros catback system, and I don't think anyone with a 10 year old clio would spend that much!

Nice info there Gardus, I've learnt something today! From CS!!!

However, you seem to underestimate the financial dimwittery of this site, expect the 1.2 Rep club to be strapping these on within a week.

BMW 130i
Me and my friend considered something similar and possibly a lot cheaper. Why not just use an old cable throttle body and get someone who is decent with a welder. It's more hassle, but surely lighter, simpler and god damn cheaper. Good call though.

Megane RS 250
It's obviously a cheaper solution! In the end a throttle body works pretty much in the same way. I'm not sure if it can stand up to the exhaust temperature...

BMW 130i
It wouldn't be to hard to make one. It's simply just a butterfly valve in a housing that's sprung. I'll see if he can knock one up in his workshop and I'll make a thread when it's done.