ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many 172/182 owners engine mounts are banging?

BMW 330d :)
I've had the gearbox mount replaced and the also had the uprated ktec mount fitted which worked for a while but the engine is banging under acceleration again and worse in the wet... The top mount has also been readjusted numerous times....

How many other owners have this problem??

Is it possible to get an uprated top mount for the engine??

Cheers

Fraser

ST
Used to get it on my old 182 under hard acceleration matey but i learned to live with it...driving normally it was fine..

Really gets on my t*ts....

You would think that they could design some decent engine mounts... Seems that the std ones cant handle the torque of the engine...

How different are they to the std clio range engine mounts?? Knowing renault they are exactly the same!

a thirsty one
dont gdi do some solid top mounts?

if you uprate them all at once that should make life a bit easier, as someone said changing one to an updarted could put extra stress on the other older std ones im just guessing though. i would expect more engine vibration with uprated mounts though, fitted group n mounts on a track car 205 and whole shell vibrated.

problem with fitting solid mounts is that the vibration would be completely unbearable. i had GrpN mounts in a 205 too and reckon they were one of the most effective fast road/track mods i made - much sweeter gearshift and it was keener on turn in too. downside was the vibration but it's posible to get used to it.

wasn't someone on here looking into coming up with a set for the Clio a little while ago? they were expensive as i recall

Black 172 FF
My drivers side one had burst only noticed when i did the camebelt as you have to take it out to see.. had perished and leaked guy at renault said common problem :S new one sat about a inch taller out of the car

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mechanic dude did a modification of packing out the gearbox mount with numerous thick washers, and so far after two VERY hard track days, its not knocked once.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
hahaha, sorry dude, i'm about as technical as a lump of coal. I'm just telling you what he told me. And TBH, i'm not happy with you because you have unearthed as the useless tool that i am ;)

sorry :(

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i get a bad knocking under hard acceleration and braking, not sure if it's from the gearbox or engine though...

Well you would think that if so many of the cars were having issues with the mounts they might try to beef them up or improve them...

Clio 172 mk2
Good pld Renault using sub-standard mounts

Mine knocks now and again and I've just learnt to live with it now...so long as the engine isn't going to fall out I'm okay with it.

you'd have to assume (?!) that the Renault engineers did experiment with the affects of stiffer mounts but it'd still be interesting to see if they help without compromising comfort/reliability too much.

i'd have a go at uprated mounts if they were available cheaply enough - you probably wouldn't need to do all of them.

clio 200 F4Rt
I ran GrpN mounts on my saxo, and like said, one of the best upgrades.

I seem to remember Yozzasport saying they were devoloping some, a fair while ago, as we didnt bother going further with it, as there was no point two companies having the same product available.

Its a shame the cup racers use totally different mounts.

And those that are saying uprated mounts will put stress on other components, what might these be.......????

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
the knocking doesn't bother me, sounds lime somethings going to come through the car when it happens but i only get it on track.

I wouldnt mind a little extra vibration for no engine movement.... How do ferrari etc cope when their cars develop 3+x the power??

Nope they just wear its just like Oil IMO wear does depend on driving style etc anyway. If they make them stiffer with the current desing would have cost a fortune.
Good pld Renault using sub-standard mounts
Define substandard?

not sure it would have cost Renault any more to use stiffer mounts - all they need have done is increase the shore hardness of the rubber in them.

the hardness they'll have gone with will be a compromise between the longevity of the mounts and comfort.
i don't reckon they're up to much as standard mounts either - the RS models are (to all intents and purposes) sports cars and will likely be driven enthusiastically; it's like the gearbox in my mind - that's not up to the job either.:)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Just to note that

If you loosed the 4 16mm bolts on the left hand top mount, put a large bar behind the mount and pull the whole mount and engine forward as far as you can get it (engine is pulled towards the front bumper)

then whilst holding it forward tighten the 4 16mm bolts back up nice and tight,

try this as it will only take 2 mins and could solve half the problems for you guys :)

What more expensive parts?
Gearbox holes subframe body shell brackets interier mountings etc.
not sure it would have cost Renault any more to use stiffer mounts - all they need have done is increase the shore hardness of the rubber in them.

i don't reckon they're up to much as standard mounts either - the RS models are (to all intents and purposes) sports cars and will likely be driven enthusiastically; it's like the gearbox in my mind - that's not up to the job either.:)
It would have as stiffer mount would have meant an all new design as stock mount would have to be thicker and body shel mounts beefed up so extra brackets welded up etc.

Gearbox is Ok its not gear as its on the limit just people think things should last forever with abuse and thats not the case

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Just to note that

If you loosed the 4 16mm bolts on the left hand top mount, put a large bar behind the mount and pull the whole mount and engine forward as far as you can get it (engine is pulled towards the front bumper)

then whilst holding it forward tighten the 4 16mm bolts back up nice and tight,

try this as it will only take 2 mins and could solve half the problems for you guys :)

READ THIS AND LEARN.