ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much better is MK2 172?

How much better is a MK2 172 than the MK1 172?

Other than a change in bodystyles is there much difference between the two.

I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 MK 2 with 19,000 miles, full history and mint for 6 grand.

I own a MK1 and love it, but would I be taking a sideways step (bar age and mileage) by buying a MK2?

Megane Mk4
cable throttle for a kick off as it seems to have better response time compared to the electronic you get on the newer 172's, plus the fact that the Mk1 looks better imo...

Best Clio RenaultSport going.. Stick with it matey.

172 Cup (2003)
My 172 Cup is on an 03 plate, and had 19k when i got it. It was up for 8k. Didn't end up paying 8k, but hey...

For 6k i'd say you had a bargain if it is as you describe it.

gazzrenn said:
My 172 Cup is on an 03 plate, and had 19k when i got it. It was up for 8k. Didn't end up paying 8k, but hey...

For 6k i'd say you had a bargain if it is as you describe it.

Seller wants $20,000NZD but is negotiable and I think that $18,000NZD will take it (about 6,200 pounds at current exchange rates).

Very rare over here (New Zealand) only 10 MK1's in the country (population 4 million) and not many more MK2's. They're a little misunderstood and understated enough that people can't quite believe what just beat them away from the lights

The advert for the 172 MK2 is on www.trademe.co.nz, I'd post a full link but I'm too stupid. It's much easier to navigate than ebay though. Type in clio rs on search and should come up.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Mk2 has uprated springs and dampers and a different suspension setup. As for the difference in handling...the mk2 is a bit on the safer side, mk1 is somewhat more lively. I find the initial turn-in sharper on the mk1, that's probably due to 15" rims.

I looked up EVO mag's EPR ratings, the mk2 got 67.2% and mk1 got a 69.6%. The ratings are (if I am not mistaking) based on car's perfomance on their technical handling course.

When I was buying the car, I wanted an mk2, it looks better IMO and it had lower milleage. If I'd be buying the car now, I'am not so sure I'd go for the mk2...

LY 200
Is'nt the interior much nicer on the mk2's aswell??

Keep hearing people say the dash is utter shite on here for a start in the mk1's...........I can only rememeber the seats from when i had a ganders at one ages ago, ummmm the blues not really for me!!!

LY 200
Danlp6 said:
No myth, ive proven it.

Lol, so have i mate and theres no difference.......But then for you it may be different as yours isnt exactly in standard form is it now!?!

If i had my 182 stripped to the bone i pretty sure id have no problems either.

Cliosport myth most deffinatly!!!

Day said:
Stock vs Stock I doubt you have.

It's so marginal it comes down to what the driver had for breakfast.

also worth taking note that it's a rare day if two Reno's of identical spec make the same power. When I had the Williams I came accross several 172's and 182's and with varying results... obviously none of them ever managed to get past, but they got left at a different rate for each. Quickest one I ever had a do with was a std looking blue 182 round my way, gave me a scare for a second as usually I'd start pulling straight away... then again I can recall not having a s**t that day, so power to weight may have played a part ;)

172 Cup (2003)
speedynz said:
The advert for the 172 MK2 is on www.trademe.co.nz, I'd post a full link but I'm too stupid. It's much easier to navigate than ebay though. Type in clio rs on search and should come up.

I'm guessing this is the one..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Renault/auction-71971950.htm

Are they MK1 172 wheels? and thats an aftermarket tailpipe too by the looks of things. I'm not sure what wa standard on the NZ version, but they're the only visible things different to my '03 plate car (172 Cup)

LY 200
^^^Exactly........Even if theres point of a point of a point of point second in it, if were talking real world (which some on this site obviously dont) theres gonna be sod all in it, fact!!!

That go's for cups, ph-quicks :rolls:, mk2 172's, 182's.......Iv never beaten during any test runs nor been beaten by any of them, again in the real world!!!

p.s the exactly was aimed at days comment. Lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
absa-bloody-exactly! well better lookin than mk2 172 on the front end. although the back of a phase 2 looks better but than can be sorted easily on a ph1.
as for diff in performance. i dunno i never driven a ph2 but i heard the ph2 is heavier but has shorter box to compensate?

Andi-b said:
cable throttle for a kick off as it seems to have better response time compared to the electronic you get on the newer 172's, plus the fact that the Mk1 looks better imo...

Best Clio RenaultSport going.. Stick with it matey.

106 GTi
I test drove a Phase 1 the other day, so am not sure where this whole ph-Quik thing comes from, having a load more miles on it than my 182 I thought I would feel some difference. Nothing in from the drivers seat feel. I will stick Ph-Ugly name for now ;)

Still buying one though as that can be sorted out.

Dont mean to state the obvious but...

I think the extra 10bhp the 182 has over the 172 might explain why yours felt quicker Rich ;)

106 GTi
TheJesus said:
you've not been in mine obviously Rich. And it's not ph-ugly, it's ph-ghey for Ph1 and ph-gheyer for Ph2 ;)

LOL @ PH-Ghey and Gheyer.

Yours is a different kettle of fish!

gazzrenn said:
I'm guessing this is the one..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Renault/auction-71971950.htm

Are they MK1 172 wheels? and thats an aftermarket tailpipe too by the looks of things. I'm not sure what wa standard on the NZ version, but they're the only visible things different to my '03 plate car (172 Cup)
Yes, that's it and yes, it's an aftermarket muffler. 1st owner (leased) had it done and ditched the original which is a shame as it loses the stealth look of the original.

Are they MK1 wheels?

Mine aren't like that.:S

NZ spec is just as GB but no options, everything is standard. Original list price $39,900 (13,500 pounds).

An '05 182 is also available, 2700 miles for 10,000 pounds.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Mk1 wheels

OZ%20F1EVO.jpg

they add 5hp, you know ;)

Scirocco GT 210
Loopz said:
Mk1 wheels

OZ%20F1EVO.jpg

they add 5hp, you know ;)

1bhp per wheel! Although I thought the spare in the boot added 3bhp? Since it's working so hard back there, idling and weighing the car down :clown:

Mark 1 Clio V6
The spare in the back is obviously adding downforce and therefore improving handling and getting more grip!!!!!!!

Not a Clio anymore.....
speedynz said:
Yes, that's it and yes, it's an aftermarket muffler. 1st owner (leased) had it done and ditched the original which is a shame as it loses the stealth look of the original.

Are they MK1 wheels?

Mine aren't like that.:S

NZ spec is just as GB but no options, everything is standard. Original list price $39,900 (13,500 pounds).

An '05 182 is also available, 2700 miles for 10,000 pounds.

Is it just me or are those wheels a bit small for being on a 172? They don't look like the size of the Mk2 172 wheels over here?