ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much do you top up fuel a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a general idea of how much you guys spend a week on fuel on the 172/182s?

Keeping in mind I'm more on about social/domestic use fuel rather than traveling to work&back a week?

Reason I ask as I have now owned my 1.4 for 2 years now. I've established I'm heavy footed and £10 would last me 2/3 days. Doing a lot of mainly 7-15 miles daily out and about trips. Tons of stop start town type areas.

Recently this year I purchased a FF Arctic 182.
Insurance doubled and
Tax is amazingly high.

But the one thing I couldn't stand and get over was the thing was eating £10 a day in petrol. (Decat and straight through miltek wouldn't have helped) Had to get rid.

This time Next year I'm 24 and will have 3 years no claims which will drop my insurance to the price I'm paying now for the 1.4. Tax will kill me but it's once a year.

The thing that put me off the Arctic was the fuel. Now with much lower insurance I hope I can man up and have the money to be filling it up stupid amount of times a week.

Question is, for a social only car, 7-10 miles a day maybe a tiny more, with lots of traffic lights and heavy footed..

How much am I looking at a week/month to use?

Also I love my supermarket sainsburys and tesco fuel if that makes a difference?

Sorry if it's a silly thread but saving back for the 182 again for this time next year. I'll be wiser If I'm foretold/warned :)

Clio 182
The car wont even be warmed up fully on 7 - 10 mile trip a day, unless your thrashing it on a cold engine then ofcourse its going to drink like crazy, but for fuel costs all depends how you drive, and if your planted to the floor everywhere you go you will probs see around 20mpg so 2 days is going to cost you about £12.00 if you doing 10 miles a day

As above, if you're gonna rag it everywhere, expect low MPG (mid 20's), if you are sensible you'll easily see 35mpg.

As for not warming up on 7-10 miles, you certainly will depending on the roads.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
If the hourney you normall do 7-10 miles stop start then just don't for it. Save that for an early morning drive or on track to go full out

Ford Focus ST
Personally if you want a quick hot hatch you pay the price. But it is worth it if you are an enthusiast and enjoy driving.
For them costs of fuel you must have had your foot flat from the word go when its cold.
Mine takes a good few miles before it is fully warmed up. My clio is the best on fuel hot hatch I have owned out of my Leon cupra R and fiesta st mk6. on average I get around 400+miles to a full tank, But if I go out on the odd evening for some spirited driving can see around 350 miles to full tank,

I work within walking distance of my house and the only time I'd ever use it would be to travel to the other halfs house which is only around 10 mins up the road and my gym which again is another 10 mins and that's every day almost.

Around 3 or 4 times a month I'll go on a longer journey and that will only be because going to the city centre or dropping a friend home.

I've experienced the 182 and I honestly cannot get it out of my system of not owning one again. (As many of you on here I keep reading about owning your 3rd/4th/5th RS's as you love them that much) I loved the cruise control and I was all over that in the speed control areas. The whole thing was so fun to drive and have. Never really ragged it, tried to but in this day and age there's cameras and speed traps everywhere and it's not worth it. Girlfriend even joked:

"I'm gonna buy a fast car! Can't drive it though Cus' 30mph zones everywhere I go hurr hurr"

I would just love knowing that I have the power behind me if I ever needed it. and just having one again in general. Only in black though this time.

Clio 182
When going around town, lots of start stopping, I have seen the mpg computer go to about 16mpg on my 182, yet on a motorway 40mpg easy... it really depends on what type of driving you will be doing, a combination of slow and fast roads usually sees me about 32/33mpg.
to put it this way, the cliosports are not really best for town use, heavy clutch in slow moving traffic which you get used to, but its more of a car that you can stick on A or B roads and give it some beans :) not trying to put you off, but if you are wary of the fuel you are using then its just a thought :)

I live right on an A60 road, lots of room to blast up and down on (to speed limits of course), the road to the girlfriends house is mainly all B roads (but some speed restricted) the only thing I mean by stopping and starting is the fact it don't take me long at all to get from A to B. Then once I'm there it'll be a start stop 2 min drive up the road to tesco or asda then back home again.

If I can see a sensible 30+mpg as the 1.4 averages around 35/6 when I'm driving then I'll be happy. I know it comes with a hefty price but there's only so much I'm willing to pay for it.

The tax is once a year. The car is basically a sports car and service/upkeep won't be cheap. All this I can handle. It's just the fuel thing once again putting me off, I know it's not going to be cheap and I'm prepared for that, but if it's basically going to be like a mortgage I'll just have to keep dreaming "/

Hence why I'm asking you lot for your fuel costs (;

Clio 182
Fair enough then :) haha to be honest I put about £30 every week and a half which can last me about 170 180 miles I would say and thats a combination of driving style and type :)

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I am averaging about 30mpg, but my journey to work and back is really short and stop start at lights etc...

Willo

Many.
If you're doing that little miles and are worried about fuel consumption, whats up with your life. If I did less than 6k a year, I'd have a much better car than a 182, Something that does single figure MPG's.

Fiesta ST2
Hot Hatches do not drink fuel. My 350z was using 75 quid of super every 4 days. I was getting 8MPG near the end as the engine was wankered. Also the tax was 500+ per year.

In comparison my Fiesta ST 14 plate gets around 25-35MPG and the tax is 120 per year. I'm happy. People in diesels looking at getting 70mpg.. choose your car / engine wisely but if you want a hot hatch you have to pay for the petrol. Unless you just sit and look at it... in which case I suggest you print yourself out a laminated picture.

Tbh, fuel cost will be entirely dependent on how you drive.

If you are worrying about fuel costs, then perhaps it's really the right car for you (if you think it'll be tight).

Imo if I was 7 miles away, I'd bike it!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I put £10 a week in my 172.

I was putting £40 in the Merc for exactly the same journeys! Lol

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Utterly pointless thread and I am surprised its not locked.
It all depends on driving style, type of roads you go on, traffic etc etc.

You could do 10 miles a day for a week which doesn't give the car much time to warm up and sort the fueling out. Whereas someone else might just drive it one day a week and do those 70 miles on the motorway gaining higher mpg.

If you want to avoid going to the petrol station all the time try filling it up instead of popping £10-£20 in it at a time. Unless you really enjoy petrol stations...?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
£10 a day doing 10* miles per day? Wut?
Thats like 6MPG lol

I use around 1.1Gallons a day, But i do 42Miles per day.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Every day I'd say I do 20ish miles. I use slightly more than 20 quid a week, and that's not exactly hanging around in the mornings either.

Thats about what I get too, I also sit in a hell of a lot of traffic to which I'd say constitutes a good 70% of my journey. My average speed is about 12 mph

BG Clio 182
Mine costs me 20 quid a month haha and that's v power too haha eh dear. I think tax is very cheap as my dad's RX8 with the same exact performance was costing 500 quid a year.

£10.02 on average. Mine is only nipping around at weekends so around 10 miles and its gone lol on a good motorway runs to the inlaws, which is around a 50mile trip and ill only lose around 30miles on my trip. So unsure how accurate that is but it wont be far off.

Expensive car to run, but worth every penny!

Terrible thread, OP needs to get a grip, the 1*2's are cheap to run compared to just about everything else that is as quick.
I used to do 250 miles a week and spend about £45, and as for your milltek and decat hurting your mpg its not, the only thing hurting your mpg is your right foot, my mpg actually improved with no cat in place.

BG Clio 182
I would say for a powerful-ish car it's ridiculously cheap to run. In fact it's clio cheap to run its virtually free to be honest XD buy a good reliable one that's been looked after and continue to look after it and it's as cheap as a Ford focus to run honestly haha.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
40 miles as day(ish) - £35 a week for me. These cars are not expensive to run imo that's one of the reasons I bought one. There isn't much else for good 1*2 money that have the same performance, fuel economy and running costs...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Stop being heavy footed?

Or.

Stop braking.

I drive 60 or 70% everywhere in a 197 and it costs me £30 per week.

Granted I do around 20 miles a day alternating between town, dual carriage way and motorway.

The secret is to not brake.

Clio Trophy
i drive me T like its stolen every where, and get around 35mpg(or so it says) and put around £30 in for every 150 miles

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You've already had a 182 earlier this year that you already said was expensive for you and your asking people how much they cost to run?
Surely you already know the answer to how much it will cost YOU to run one. It's pointless asking what it costs others when you already know the answer lol.

My guess is that if you're having to ask the question and think the tax is very expensive then you probably shouldn't get one/can't afford to keep one!

Status
Not open for further replies.