ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much life left in the 172/182's??

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi Guys/Girls,
How long you planning on keeping your 172/182? I've only recently bought my 182 and although i'm not worried about the new Mk3 clio coming out i'm just interested in how much life and soul the 172/182's will have?Also i'm coming back to the UK within the next year and wondering have i missed the boat for meets etc? I'm planning on keeping it at least 2 years or so. Will they look dated come 2 years? I personally don't like the new clio so thats why i opted for the 182 and due to them being 15-20% cheaper here and still brand new.
John

artic blue 182
same with me i am on nearly 21k reckon i will have it for at least another 2 years cos i luv it:D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I might sell mine soon.Got it on f+f and the price i paid is comming down to to what its worth...Stick the money away and wait

ian

106 GTi
No plans to chop mine in. The new one would have to be something special to drive to make me want to change. Even when the new model does come out plenty of 172/182 owners will still be fans.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Glad to see some positive responses! It is such a great car and renault are going to have to produce something special with the new MK3 to top the current 172/182 IMHO.
John

172 cup TT
my cup had a new engine 10k ago alone with loads of other bits replaced.. have 11 payments left... im gonna keep it for years now... love it... will be great to have no car loan to pay for 4 or so years! :)

Had mine for a year now and still enjoy it although I'd enjoy it a lot more if I solved the knocking noise - still going to have it at least another year, the new breed of hot hatch does seem a bit of a step up though!

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
The new breed?? Such as? There aren't many hot hatches that can rival the current 172/182. The fiesta ST is crap so is the 206 GTI etc. The civic type R is pretty good along with the cooper S works but thats big dollar.
John

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I love my 182, i dont have any plans on changing it just yet. Maybe in a year or so.. The new RS will have to be bloody special! I doubt they will sell as many Mk3 RS's as the 182's, purely cos the 182's had a great bundle...toys and it is rapid. Plus the price tag of the new RS is 15k+ and i doubt a lot of people can justify the cost....

Tyson.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i've had mine three years now from new (37K), was originally bought on finance for 5 years, fully paid for about 6 months ago now, moved into my first house and I like the look of the MK3 but don't think I will get one, love my car to bits, still in showroom condition (it gets treated like a baby). Fantastic car, love everything about it, as soon as I saw my first Mk1 172 in the flesh I knew one day I would have one, well, be it a mk2, the only way I can see me changing it in the future is for a mk2 v6, but otherwise its with me for a good few years because I can't see any reason to change it. LOVE IT!!! :)

172 cup TT
Dubai182 said:
cooper S works but thats big dollar.

Indeed!. a mega geek admin of a large UK Lan i know has just paid just over £28k for a cooper-s Works... WTF!!?!?!!?!?!!!? but they have leant him a CooperS convertible for a month whilst its being delivered! ha... the salesman must have hit target for months on that one :)

106 GTi
I guess time will tell what the next batch of hatches in the Clios size will bring the Corsa VXR and 207 GTi. Also remains to be seen what the mk3 Renault Sport is priced at.

Clio 172 mk2
My 172 is about 4 years old now which may be old in some peoples eyes but for me is the newest car I've owned and with 14k on the clock it's got lot of life left in it.....going to keep it a few years:D

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Neil G said:
My 172 is about 4 years old now which may be old in some peoples eyes but for me is the newest car I've owned and with 14k on the clock it's got lot of life left in it.....going to keep it a few years:D

Do you only use it at the weekend? I'll be hitting 14k within 6 months of ownership,lol. First year is going to be pretty high mileage but once i'm in the UK it shouldn't be so bad.
John

RB182cup&golf gti
mines 14 months old - there's no way i'm trading it, plan to keep it indefinitely!!! even when i want a new car i'll still keep this one! not interested in the new rs clio at all

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
gotta be plenty of life left, 10-15 years if the mk1 boys are anything to go on

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep look at all the williams and valvers still going about.

I recon i'll get a black MK2 172 in 2-3 years! possibly a 182 but i prefer the wheels on the 172 and dont like the twin exhausts on the 182

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I will be keeping mine for about another year and then change to something else. Can't fault the car though, still makes me smile 9 months later :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Clart said:
gotta be plenty of life left, 10-15 years if the mk1 boys are anything to go on

Deffinately! mines a 2001 & its only got 35000 on it. When its ten years old and only done 60,000, someones bound to be gagging to buy it! Just look how quick low mileage 1995 valvers get snapped up!!

Lee

BMW M2C
As long as I'm in a position to do so I don't think I'll part with the Trophy, just get another car when the time comes and garage it.

Clio 182
No change for me for a good few years. Although I get tempted by other cars, once my loan is paid off in 16 months. Thats it !! no more car loans with a decent car i've had from new. May be tempted by a V6 or a different 2 seater in a couple of years but only if the girlfriend finally learns to drive and gets a 5 seater, as I always will need a 5 seater!

Clio 172 mk2
Dubai182 said:
Do you only use it at the weekend? I'll be hitting 14k within 6 months of ownership,lol. First year is going to be pretty high mileage but once i'm in the UK it shouldn't be so bad.
John

Yeah mate...I cycle to work so milage is low as I only really use it at weekends:D

Just because a car is old in terms of plate etc doesn't make it a bad motor.....I think I may have an okay one so am definately going to keep it.....well, until I can afford a 911:D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Lee said:
As long as I'm in a position to do so I don't think I'll part with the Trophy, just get another car when the time comes and garage it.

Same here...

I don't intend to get rid of mine...ever. It'll be retired from the road by the end of this year (will get diesel supermini for my daily rat-run), and will live out the rest of it's life being regularly beasted on track, airfield sprints, breakie runs, and the occasional outing on a warm summer weekend.

The day I get rid of it, is the day I put it hard into a tyre wall/gravel trap/armco (or on its roof).

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
ive not long had mine, always dreamed of having one. reality is better than the dream. plan to keep it for a long time yet, would get a second car if i had to do higher milage.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Im going to keep mine for a while yet,

I will proabably keep it until its no longer fianacially viable to keep it on the road. so I recon I got a good 10 years yet lol!

C

Cupster

Perfect for me so keeping until something better is born for the same dolla.

LY V6 with Recaros
i'm not planning on getting rid of mine yet, i love it! Maybe after the 3 years, depending on my situation, i'll swap it for a v6! :D

Black 172 MK2
just look back atthe 80's classic the 205 GTI theres a huge following on other forums (205gtidrivers the one i use) i dont see why there wont be as big a following for the clio sport in 10 years time

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
At the moment i'm quite happy with my 172mk2.

I'm not to keen on the look of the Mk3 RS at the moment but i'll probably like it when i see it in the flesh.

Im keeping mine for a few years, only 1 car im upgrading to and thats an evo 8, be a few years yet though. the mk3 clio sport is decent though but not that much better so not really worth the price tag. everyone knows the feeling you get when you drive a 172 or 182 for the 1st time and i didnt get that from the mk3. plus it doesnt look like a clio, the clio has always been a similar look which is what i love about it but the new one just doesnt, spoils it a bit.

Thats my opinion anyway, 172 and 182 will compete for a good few years yet.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
bj7864 said:
everyone knows the feeling you get when you drive a 172 or 182 for the 1st time and i didnt get that from the mk3.

but if you drove a MK3 then it would be a 1.2-1.6 or a DCi, it can hardly compete with a 172/182

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My main concern with the Mk3 is that it looks like half a Clio and half a Megane. The thing i love about the Mk'1, Mk2's is the compact size of them with the Renault Sport Clio's being pocket rockets.

182 + Cup
Er, who mentioned the Cooper S? I don't think so. Anyone can paint a union jack on the roof of a turd and it will still be a turd. And don't even get me started on the Pug 180. What a pile of sh!te.

I've got 10k on the clock and can't see anything coming out in the next 12-18 months that would tempt me or gives more bang for the buck. Possibly the only deal to be had is mid 2007 on a used CTR when the new ones come out. But they do hold their value second hand, and you get less toys....