ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much would it cost to convert 182 to AWD?

clio 182
Got a mate who's more or less building his own car from scratch, so it gave me the idea (hypothetically) of doing the same with a 182. If money was no problem could this be done? And how do you think it would perform eg 0-60 and handling?

Converted to AWD
mitsubishi evo engine dropped in, including evo gearbox etc
Upgraded brakes and suspension

I think this would be an awesome car if done right, any opinions or suggestions on this would be appreciated. All the time you hear people say if they won a lot of money they'd buy a certain car, but i think it would be more fun to do something like this instead.

53 Clio's & counting
To be done properly you would be into 5 figures.

Thing you are not looking at though is the structural integrity of the car - it would be a pig to drive, and imo a waste of money - id rather have a 500bhp Evo which would be just as quick but handle 100x better and be a lot more fun :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Anything is possible (almost) with enough money, time and knowledge. I think spaceframe would be the best way .. as per the 6R4 above. But then it's only about 5% Clio.

Would an Evo lump (longitudinal engine) fit under the bonnet for starters ? Something smaller like an RX-7/8 engine might be better instead.

Clios are great at being 'hot hatches' because they are light, but add a few hundred kilos of engine and drivetrain, I think you'd have an unruly overweight monster on your hands.

Only one way to find out though ... ;)

Clio 200 Cup
Im sure Ive seen a Ford Focus with a Subaru flat-4 engine and 4WD. I think it was featured in Cars & Car Conversions back in the day.

You'd need to do a lot of chopping and welding but sod it - the world needs more projects like this.
You'd end up with a powerful 4wd car with a rather short wheelbase. It'd be heavy and unrefined but sure to be a riot to drive.

It would be stupid, but stupid is fun! If I won the lottery this sort if thing is how I would spend my time, creating ridiculous but awesome cars.

clio 182
So it is possible then? just have to strengthen the chasis? Tbh i dont like the rx8 engines, arent they the wankle engines that have a really low amount of tourque and are 1.3ltre? Figured a 300+ hp evo engine would have been ok in the standard car as long as all the power wasnt just being split between two wheels. I expected the conversion to AWD being the most expensive mod.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
i saw a scooby engined mk1 golf and that was epic, more hassle than its worth but if renault sold em they would be amazing lmao