ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how often do you thrash your rs

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
As long as mines up to temp, I'm slap it's ass :D I do take it easy the first 10 mins or so of driving, go no more than 3000 RPM.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mine had an easy first 625 miles - since then it's been caned religiously on and off track every single day of it's life. Managed 57k so far with no related problems at all (it's been caressed by Mike @ RenTech every 6k miles from new), and it seems mine's quite a quick one.

I think you should swear an oath before taking delivery that'll you abuse it relentlessly :)

RenaultSport clio 18
gazcaddy said:
I let her see 7krpm every now and then. Too be honest though I don’t drive the 182 as hard as I thought I would when I first bought it

however I did have a little play with a 328 BMW (R reg) yesterday, not as fast as I thought, I thought it would be pretty equal but I was definitely quicker, I think he was surprised he couldn’t shake off a little blue Clio!!!

Couldn't agree more....Thrash it about 50% and you'll still have a smile on your face every time you drive.

Price of a new BMW ..........30K
Price of a new(ish) 182.......9K
Look on the Beemer drivers face when I blow his doors off......Priceless.:rasp:

BMW M135i
The 1.2 gets cained when its warm whenever I get the urge which is quite often. When I pick the 1.6 up i'll be steady until I can get some decent oil and a new filter on it then I can be amazed how quick it is for about a week. :)

Golf GTi Mk2
Never :(
My misses doesn't like me driving fast, made a 240 mile round trip to Alton Towers on saturday, never got above 80 on the M1 or A50. Thats why shes for sale. No point having a fast car to drive slowly.

MINI JCW
shortos said:
Couldn't agree more....Thrash it about 50% and you'll still have a smile on your face every time you drive.

Price of a new BMW ..........30K
Price of a new(ish) 182.......9K
Look on the Beemer drivers face when I blow his doors off......Priceless.:rasp:

Yeah, I dont do much town driving as it more of a weekend tool, but driving on A and B roads mainly with the odd blast now and then and I still return 35mpg, awesome!

Every time I drive it when the oils warm it gets to the limiter.
Infact every car I've ever owned has been treated like that.

Seat Leon Cupra 290
this looks like a good thread to look back on when buying these peoples cars if there up for sale to see how there life has been

MINI JCW
James172Cup said:
Never :(
My misses doesn't like me driving fast, made a 240 mile round trip to Alton Towers on saturday, never got above 80 on the M1 or A50. Thats why shes for sale. No point having a fast car to drive slowly.

Same here, but to be fair I dont like driving fast myself. I occasionally accelerate as fast as the car will go to 60/70etc but I rarely exceed 80mph on the motorway as theres no point what so ever, you are in danger of losing your licence at silly speeds and secondly its just plain dangerous, also above 80mph the 182 starts to drink fuel alot faster!

MINI JCW
Richisbradders said:
this looks like a good thread to look back on when buying these peoples cars if there up for sale to see how there life has been

If you are buying a second hand car like a 172/182 it is obvious it is going to have been driven reasonably hard at best, thats why people buy them. Its the same for any performance car you cant expect it to have 40k on it and never have been redlined. As long as it has been looked after well with full service history I see no problem

RenaultSport clio 18
gazcaddy said:
Yeah, I dont do much town driving as it more of a weekend tool, but driving on A and B roads mainly with the odd blast now and then and I still return 35mpg, awesome!

My weekend tool is a 1973 VW Beetle, not quite the same experience and lucky to get 35 miles out of it in a single journey...Still, brings a different sort of smile to my face :clown: :clown:

No more clio's for me!
I drive consistantly with some enthusiasm, makes going to work worth while imo! ;)

Oh, only when the car is properly warmed up!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My car gets a beating when the roads let me.Usually on the way to wales or something.Round town it gets a blip of rdline in 2nd and 3rd,traffic permitting

ian

Golf GTI PP Mk7
mine gets the works. ive got some lovely bits of road around where i live and its just too tempting. althoug it did nearly result is my cup kissing the front bumper of an S3 earlier, rather hard, s**t was that close. learnt a lesson there. but yeah, its so much fun when u cane it.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
i dont really rug the t*ts out off it for no reason .im really into keeping the engine very maintained such as-good oil,good fuel and let it warm up to right temp. but you have to give it a boot every now and then to keep it healthy but most of the time i like to save the little extra horses to when i need to prove a point ;)

E-ray_172 said:
i dont really rug the t*ts out off it for no reason .im really into keeping the engine very maintained such as-good oil,good fuel and let it warm up to right temp. but you have to give it a boot every now and then to keep it healthy but most of the time i like to save the little extra horses to when i need to prove a point ;)

nice 1 ................:approve: :race: keep booting mine cos i likes the sound :quiet:

Hmmm i think i must be odd!

I use it every night, 20miles round trip...half of it is 60mph roads

firstly, have had mk2 172 for 4months...never been above 6k rpm!
secondly, can go a few weeks without thrashing!

I always worry bout the clutch? cant imagine changing gear quickly at 7krpm tho be honest!!

Ok ok i am ODD. Im not an olde either at 20! love fast cars, love the fact i could do 6.9s 0-60...just hardly ever am in that 0-60 mood! :D

Black Mk2 172
Jackson172 said:
Hmmm i think i must be odd!

I use it every night, 20miles round trip...half of it is 60mph roads

firstly, have had mk2 172 for 4months...never been above 6k rpm!
secondly, can go a few weeks without thrashing!

I always worry bout the clutch? cant imagine changing gear quickly at 7krpm tho be honest!!

Ok ok i am ODD. Im not an olde either at 20! love fast cars, love the fact i could do 6.9s 0-60...just hardly ever am in that 0-60 mood! :D

i was like that and then thought f**k it, renault wouldnt build them if they thought no one would thrash it , thats what there built for imo

mine gets it every morning. i'm always late for work so don't even have time for the thing to warm up. that reduced limiter is soooo anoying! what do i care? it's got a warranty. and it's not like i'm keeping it for long.

by the way, IT would never get called SHE. it's a clio, not some exotic italian dream

Tangoed Works
Mine never gets thrashed, used to drive fast all the time when I used to drive underpowered cars. Now I've got the power, I just use the bit that I need to get into my own space on the road and just hit the cruise control button!! Redline once / twice a week just to clear out the internal and spark plugs!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
This is not aimed at anyone, but why buy a sport hot hatch if you are never going to use the power? If i was cruising up and down the motorway, i would buy a derv runner and not a 172/182.

Give it hell, its built like that on purpose!

Tyson.

Bye Bye 182....
Tyson-182 said:
This is not aimed at anyone, but why buy a sport hot hatch if you are never going to use the power? If i was cruising up and down the motorway, i would buy a derv runner and not a 172/182.

Tyson.

I quite agree. After a good warm up mine gets a thrashing all the time. :D

Always brings a smile to my face and a huge grin when people in so called fast cars cant keep up with the 182 (BMW's, Mercedes etc)

Although I have come very close to ending up in a civic type r's back bumper when the traffic stopped suddenly on the moterway :eek:

I learnt an important lesson that day and try not to get to close to the car in front!

Tangoed Works
Yea but in London, you cant really give it hell. You gotta press the brakes by the time you got up to 3 k, then when you get a clear stretch you can boot it a bit . By the time 5k kicks in youve gotta slow for a camera :-( Mite be up for a drive to South France later this sumer though. Will be good to open her up!!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I nail my 182 a lot when its warm, but i only do so when its safe. Sometime i would drive slowly on purpose so that the traffic in front leaves me, just so i can boot it around the corner, cos in my eyes the handling sometimes is just a much fun!!

Tyson.

I thrash mine when I see someone who keep takeover or when I am in hurry. I want to thrash all the time actually, but my concern is "FUEL" and "Speeding".

BTW, some BMW and Mercedes can be really fast, just if they want to race with you or not.

MINI JCW
hkka said:
BTW, some BMW and Mercedes can be really fast, just if they want to race with you or not.

I think most people on here know that some BMW, Audis and Mercs are much faster than the the Renaultsport Clios but the majority of them arent. If you look across the whole BMW range you normally have to go the top or near the top of each class to get a car that can keep up or out accelerate a Renaultsport Clio.

I think the problem people have with some BMW drivers is becuase they have paid 20k+ for the their car they think it is very fast when they are only driving a 318, 520 etc which have average saloon performance

Bye Bye 182....
gazcaddy said:
I think most people on here know that some BMW, Audis and Mercs are much faster than the the Renaultsport Clios but the majority of them arent. If you look across the whole BMW range you normally have to go the top or near the top of each class to get a car that can keep up or out accelerate a Renaultsport Clio.

I think the problem people have with some BMW drivers is becuase they have paid 20k+ for the their car they think it is very fast when they are only driving a 318, 520 etc which have average saloon performance

I quite agree and dont it bring a smile to your face when the poor dopes have the " WTF is in that clio" look on their face when they were trying to show off to their dumb blond girlfriend or mates and get spanked! LOL :rasp:

Nissan 350Z
Tyson-182 said:

Same here.

I actually had a DERV and got rid of it because i found myself in the upper half of the rev counter all the time, which in a DERV is somewhat pointless and defeating the purpose.

Sometimes I feel antisocial sitting behind people with the engine on cam waiting for them to pull over / chance to overtake, which is fantastic :D

yeah i regularly give it some once warm, its made for it!! though i always keep my eye (and road angel) out for speed cameras lol

my_cougar49 said:
I quite agree and dont it bring a smile to your face when the poor dopes have the " WTF is in that clio" look on their face when they were trying to show off to their dumb blond girlfriend or mates and get spanked! LOL :rasp:

Yes, I do agree with that. But 330i are everywhere in Hong Kong. And usually, those BMW or Mercedas won't race with others. In Hong Kong, you can see a lot of those Japanese car such as Civic Type-R, Toyota Levin AE111, Evo, Impreza, Galant, Sylvia S15, Skyline, Integra... Plus those 1500cc level cars will also get close to you and try to compete with Clio 172 cos it is rare and they want to see how good you are. But HK got so many cars on the road, road status can really effect the result, and your gut...