ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How safe are external hard drives ?

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Got myself a Freecom 2tb external hard drive but Im a bit sceptical about trusting it with literally every photo, video and piece of music I have. Whats to say it doesnt sh*t itself and wipe the whole lot ? Can anything be done to recover data or is there some way of backing it up within the actual hard drive ?

Cupra
Anything important should always be in two different places. Trusting all your data to one disk is asking for trouble.

MK2 Clio
You should always have a backup, I would use a smaller HD aswell to ensure your more important data is safe

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever. EVER. Keep important data on only one physical disk. NEVER.

It might never fail in its lifetime, or it might fail in 3-2-1...

So many retards don't keep backups and then cry like babies when they lose all their s**t.

I have everything on at least 2 hard drives and I also Dropbox photos and other important small videos. I've tripped up over the cable to an external hard drive before and it fucked the drive, I've learnt the hard way!

Rusty Cup
Data recovery from a failed HD is possible but a pro would charge £200+ and its usually charged per Gig, I wouldnt put any faith in a freecom HD!! they are budget as you like but that said no more likely to fail than any other non pro solution. Gtech do awesome drives and warranty the information on the HD!! bang tidy.

Each 1TB I have, I have another 1TB mirroring it. Good sync pro keeps everything backed up

A 2TB HDD can be had for £50-£60, it's worth keeping back ups.