ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to do a full oil change?

Clio1.2, C2 VTR, 1.9 MJet
cant seem to find a guide on this and search is not looking good, is there a guide to do an oil change anywer, thanks peeps

Sump plug is on the bottom, square plug IIRC, filter is on the front as well, should be easy to spot. Unplug sump let oil out, change filter, refit filter, refit plug, fill engine with oil.

Rough but effective.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Under the screw in the sump. Oil poors out, put screw back on with no crush washer, replace oil filter. Fill up with oil.

Sump plug is on the bottom, square plug IIRC, filter is on the front as well, should be easy to spot. Unplug sump let oil out, change filter, refit filter, refit plug, fill engine with oil.

Rough but effective.

thanks beef, thts a proper reply, can i just use a shitty new filter from halfords, and how much oil needs to go back in, as i have no dipstick, besides me of course

Suzuki Ignis
Take car for spin to warm oil up, not till really hot though. Big pan under sump plug, undo sump plug, drain it out, take off old filter, sump plug back in with new washer, fill up new filter with new oil, put filled filter on, fill up, check with stick, top up if needs, take for drive, check again, check for leaks from sump. Pretty much.

It's A Reno
thanks beef, thts a proper reply, can i just use a s**tty new filter from halfords, and how much oil needs to go back in, as i have no dipstick, besides me of course

You need a dipstick first then.
You need to warm the engine up first too, to lower the viscosity and help as much as possible drain out. Let it drain for a good 10 minutes too.

Suzuki Ignis
thanks beef, thts a proper reply, can i just use a s**tty new filter from halfords, and how much oil needs to go back in, as i have no dipstick, besides me of course

Get a dipstick from scrap yard or maybe halfrauds.
You dont want a shitty filter, you want an oil filter, ask in Halfrauds or have a look in the book for your model.

Westy. MX5
I assume you mean the engine oil.
Run engine until oil is hot
Lift one front corner of car so you can get to the drain plug
Using a 8mm. square key to undo the drain plug with a recepticle to catch the oil
Allow oil to drain completly, about 20mins.
Undo the oil filter and move the recepticle to catch the oil from both the sump and the filter or use a second receptical
Lower the car so it is level and allow the oil to continue to drain for another 10mins.
Whilst doing this clean up the sump plug and fit a new copper washer and on the new oil filter remove the rubber washer and smear a little engine oil on both sides, replace rubber washer on filter.
When you are happy all the oil has drained lift the car again and refit the sump plug and new oil filter, hand tight.
Lower the car
Refill with the new oil, checking the dip stick level as you go.
Start engine allow to idle until oil gets hot again and check for leaks at the filter and sump plug.
Turn off engine and check dipstick again, top up as necessary.
Drive car normally.
Next day check oil level and for leaks.
Job done.

thanks every1 ill go upto scrappies soon, is there such thing as a universal one or do i need my exact model

Golf GTD Mk7
Using a 8mm. square key to undo the drain plug with a recepticle to catch the oil
Undo the oil filter and move the recepticle to catch the oil from both the sump and the filter or use a second receptical
Lower the car so it is level and allow the oil to continue to drain for another 10mins.
Whilst doing this clean up the sump plug and fit a new copper washer and on the new oil filter remove the rubber washer and smear a little engine oil on both sides, replace rubber washer on filter.
When you are happy all the oil has drained lift the car again and refit the sump plug and new oil filter, hand tight.
Lower the car
Start engine allow to idle until oil gets hot again and check for leaks at the filter and sump plug.
Drive car normally.
Job done.

Bit OOT surely. Never done this/seen it done

Westy. MX5
Jonny, I'm surprised you never done an oil change, how old are you?

If someone has never done this before my little guide is good for an oil change on their driveway without garage equiptment.

Golf GTD Mk7
Jonny, I'm surprised you never done an oil change, how old are you?

If someone has never done this before my little guide is good for an oil change on their driveway without garage equiptment.

I've done a few mate, but never removed the ring from the filter and oiled the back of it. Obviously do the front. Maybe i'm not as picky ;)

RS200 Cup
Lower the car

Drive car normally.
Job done.

Nobody else even mentioned it so good on ya! :rasp:

Should surely leave it after running before checking it again though, otherwise too much will be put in...

Golf GTD Mk7
Yeah probably about 10-20min to let it all drain to the sump.

ps. we're not usually this picky on here btw Scoot1e ;)

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I've never replaced the copper washer and none of mine have ever leaked. I always oil the front and back of the rubber washer on the filter though. I'd get a new dipstick from Renault, bought one for my van, was sub £20

DMS

A thirsty 172
Does anyone else find getting to the filter an absolute nightmare?
I've got fat hands and can never get to it, so I usually end up taking the front bumper off to give me more room :eek:

Golf GTD Mk7
Does anyone else find getting to the filter an absolute nightmare?
I've got fat hands and can never get to it, so I usually end up taking the front bumper off to give me more room :eek:

Yeah it's a b**ch to remove imo. I used one of those chain grippy things and it was hard work. I'm hoping that when I put my oil cooler sandwich plate on it might make it a bit easier to get to.