ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to get locking nut out? (without the key!)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
went to do my brakes on my dci today, not removed the wheel since i got it and it appears the locking nut on one of the wheel has been badly damaged by a previous owner/garage so basically the key doesnt fit in it! so looks like im going to need to drill it out or something? never done it before so any tips/tricks?

cheers

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
hey mate. This might work depending on your locking nuts, but it worked for me.

You can buy these sockets which come in alot of sizes and they have pine in the end. And when you put them round a bolt, it sorta moulds the shape.

Heres what they look like.
Universal_Socket_Wrench.jpg

Hopes this helps. Sam!

I had some locking nuts off eBay, look like a normal bolt only chrome coloured and the head is round with 4 slots cut out around it.

I lost my key for these and a normal 20mm socket went straight on and putting a bit of pressure downwards on the bolt twist it out. Hope this helps

Clio 172 Cup, Volvo
When we bought our 172 Cup recently we had no locking wheel nut key for the standard renault locks. I drilled them out, but it took ages and about 5 drill bits per nut as they are so hard. The desing of the wheel and the nut doesnt lend itself to many of the other solutions on the net

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
that socket is a gator-grip. I've tried them for this and the pins came out like a nail bomb going off.

Black Sheep
The Renault locking nut and socket are f**king terrible. I replace them and bin them pronto. I was shocked when I was looking at a brand new 200 and there was a brand new box of them in the boot.

Clio 200 & Golf GTD
Hi all. Got them all removed in 5 minutes by a company in castleford near xscape called dynoMec they supply a kit to the RAC that removes any kind of locking nut but you cannot buy this kit unless trade. Cost me £10 per wheel so not bad but it broke 2 of the blades so got my money's worth lol. Anyone who has a locking nut problem who is north of Manchester and south of Newcastle won't have too long a journey to them. For address just google them. Hope this helps.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
We weld old wheel bolts to them and then just undo them. Takes 2 minutes.