ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to increase traction on 172 cup?

BMW 330d :)
Ive got a 172 cup and I find its fast but its let down by wheelspin in 1st-3rd gears when driving hard in the dry. I even get a chirp in 4th as I change up off the limiter in the dry! Ive ordered 205's to replace the 195's which should help, but what other things can I do? Im running 32 psi, (down from the recommended 34) on the front. Appart from forking out for a lsd what else could I do?

Am I right in think in thinking that the more aggressive camber settings of the 172 cup would increase cornering speed but decrease the basic grip off the line due to the angle of the tyres on the road?

Cheers

Fraser

Well if you shift hard theres a knock which sounds like the tyres have lost traction. Im talking about going from the red line in 3rd, hard into 4th.

VaVa
No. f**king. Chance.

If you're spinning the wheels up in fourth gear you either have
a)300 bhp
b) Copletely fucked tyres

Turbos.
Remember that the 182 has different geometry to compensate for the wider tyres, which will dull feedback on your Cup.

Are you flat shifting?

If you really are losing traction in the first three gears in the dry! perhaps you need to use a bit more finesse being to aggressive does not mean you go faster in fact the opposite.

Well if it isnt wheelspin it might be engine or gearbox mounts, but it doesnt happen every time, only when you shift hard and are aggressive with the clutch. And as for the 300bhp comment I might just have a healthy cup! ;) lol

Dave3141 said:
is this straight line traction? or going round corners, as I always spin one wheel when cornering.

he does too .................:eek: nah believe he means straight line , but i believe theres summert wrong imo :eek:

Tangoed Works
HAHA, mine does the mildest of chirps from 1st to 2nd then thats your lot. Get a 182 with toys if you want traction, or get some exalto 2's and get the suspension set up geometry checked professionally.

Even my mates Ph Quick doesnt chirp after 2nd and he has 15"'s

172cup
got 205's all round on my cup... and i still wheelspin going from 1st straight to 5th

no... seriously... anyone can keep a car wheelspinning if they change gear while spinning, but spinning in 4th? Come on be realistic. I don't even spin going into 2nd when putting it at the redline every gear change. You're doing something wrong... or your tires are shot to f**k... or you indeed have 300bhp

Don't worry... sometimes... just sometimes... i wish i hadn't started threads as well lmfao

lei69gh said:
A chirp from 3rd to 4th....jesus christ my cup must be shot!

alot of us thinking the same.....hehe probably the other way really , all ours ok , problem with his car ???

Honda Civic Type R
do you ever get wheel hop when pulling off the line too fast. i used to get it in my ctr and the whole car would judder. sometime the cd i'm playing would cut off momentarily. this is caused by the wheels literally bouncing, or hopping when trying to gain traction in 1st. only talking millimetres of course.

I solved this by putting in uprated polyurethane stiffer engine mounts. they basically cut out wheel hop by reducing engine movement. normally the engine will move back and forth, side to side depending ion the load you put on the car. with stiffer engine mounts in place, this is reduced.

I noticed a instant improvement on the turn in and handling in general. definitely more go kart like because you haven't got a big heavy engine swinging side to side anymore so eveything feels tighter and sharper. and wheel hop is non existent now. it's still easy to spin off the line in 1st but the wheels stay firmly on the ground so gain traction slightly quicker than before. you do notice a little more vibration in the cabin but not a lot. you soon forget about it.

they cost me 30 quid form energy suspension. took ages to fit though. lei69gh on this forum helped me do it and they took hours. of course, i'm using my type r as an example but surely some sort of stiffer engine mount is available for clios. it's worth looking into imo

LMFAO @ a Clio spiining its wheels in 4th. I doubt even Matts 400+bhp Clio TT would have managed that. Have a look under the bonnet, you might have a Veyron engine under there :D

^^ Funny people you are.... ;) I've checked the pressures and they were at 34 psi on the front, so ive lowered the pressures to 30psi which seems to have helped a bit but traction is still a prob. The handling seems to have suffered though do the softer sidewalls.Im going to try fitting 205's on the front and see if that makes a difference. I think its either sh!te tyres or a loose mount causing the 4th gear thing.

Last edited:
And the forth gear thing is with a sharp lift of the clutch changing from 3rd to 4th. May be a gearbox or engine mount.

R35 GTR
Its so funny, I hear this all the time from a few guys in here. "My 172 spins wheels all the way upto third" hmmmmmm, as if...

I reckon you either have a very fast one or something isnt right.

I very much doubt it's anything to do with tyres. I think a clio would struggle to spin in 4th if you took the tyres off. Most likely you've got a problem somewhere, but it's not wheelspin. Unless you like to drive on ice rinks. With no tyres.

Does anyone then get what feels like wheelspin going into 4th when the road is wet or damp? From recollection it only happens in 4th when the road is greasy or very wet, and only with aggressive shifting.

Dave3141 said:
Its so funny, I hear this all the time from a few guys in here. "My 172 spins wheels all the way upto third" hmmmmmm, as if...

I reckon you either have a very fast one or something isnt right.

I managed to get my 182 to spin up in 3rd once. However this was in a torrential downpour, going up a steep country lane, with leaves and bits of twigs washing down the hill. If any Clio can spin in 4th on a dry road I'll run down the street naked with an iron hanging from my balls.

R35 GTR
Frasers Cup said:
Does anyone then get what feels like wheelspin going into 4th when the road is wet or damp? From recollection it only happens in 4th when the road is greasy or very wet, and only with aggressive shifting.

I never get loss of traction in second in the wet, i use good clutch control and throttle.:rasp:

The only time i get major loss of traction is when I am going side ways....

Oh ive just noticed you have the slower 172 dave thats why you never experience wheelspin. Too much weight to shift about! ;)

Roy Munson said:
I managed to get my 182 to spin up in 3rd once. However this was in a torrential downpour, going up a steep country lane, with leaves and bits of twigs washing down the hill. If any Clio can spin in 4th on a dry road I'll run down the street naked with an iron hanging from my balls.

I've just said above that the road was wet at the time. You better get running then! ;)

Im just wondering whether this is linked to the steering wheel wobble I get at exactly 70mph, and I've been to 3 tyre places that say my wheels are perfectly balanced! :(

Roy Munson said:

The 182 is heavier and has wider tyres... ;) Could make all the difference. Depends how heavy the driver is as well ;)

Frasers Cup said:
The 182 is heavier and has wider tyres... ;) Could make all the difference. Depends how heavy the driver is as well ;)

No not really, this was an extreme example going up a very wet, very bumpy, very slippery country lane. Normally it won't spin in 2nd, let alone 3rd or 4th.

I'm willing to bet my right nut that you are not experiencing wheel spin in 4th gear :D

Frasers Cup said:
I've just said above that the road was wet at the time. You better get running then! ;)

I think you'll find in your first post you actually said;

"wheelspin in 1st-3rd gears when driving hard in the dry. I even get a chirp in 4th as I change up off the limiter in the dry!" ;)

Sorry I was mistaken about the 4th in the dry. Not a chance, only if the road is greasy. But as has been said b4 it might be a mount or something that is causing it. Sounds like a knock but similar to when the front wheels lose traction.

R35 GTR
Frasers Cup said:
Oh ive just noticed you have the slower 172 dave thats why you never experience wheelspin. Too much weight to shift about! ;)
Mate , my car would kill yours.:rasp: Nothing in the back and a few mods....

oh and less weight would mean less wheelspin, so there...ner ner na ner ner