ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to shatter a locking wheel nut?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Basically, got a puncture this morning and I think I may have thrown my locking wheel nut key away by accident during a move, what's the best option?

The nearest Renault garage to me said it can take up to 14 days for a replacement and obviously I cannot wait that long as I need the car for work.

Cheers

dan's cast offs.
find someone with a proper removal tool, will get it off with pretty much no damage so it will be re usable.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Cheers guys. Bought a laser locking wheel nut removal tool. Gonna pump tyre up and get it to work early. Going to remove locking wheel nut at work then use bosses car to buy a new set. Got a mobile tyre fitter coming to my work to change the tyre.

Then em break the remaining 3 nuts off and replace with the new ones.

Such a ballache!

275 Trophy
I snapped my wheel nut key a few keys ago. Ads gave me the number to call Ren retail and they supplied a new one in around 5 days. It was £20.50 delivered if that helps.

Van
If using the socket method (or cheap tool) remember to tighten the rest of the bolts a little first.

Or if you are still mobile just drive to your local friendly breakers yard, they will more than likely have a big box of locking nut keys.

There's a guy on ebay who can send you a new one next day for about 30 quid. Just send him a photo of your locking nut.
Dunno how he does it but worked for me.

Arctic Blue 182
I went to my local Renault and after the realised I hadn't disappeared to parts to buy a replacement like a good boy they went and got an apprentice who brought with him a large tray of about 100 of the damn things! Nailed it on the 4th try :)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Basically, got a puncture this morning and I think I may have thrown my locking wheel nut key away by accident during a move, what's the best option?

The nearest Renault garage to me said it can take up to 14 days for a replacement and obviously I cannot wait that long as I need the car for work.

Cheers

Use a smaller 12 point socket that is a very tight fit. You'll need to smack it on with a hammer so it is proper tight. Loosen the bolt at the opposite side of the bolt patter and tighten the 2 closest. If possible use an impact gun as it will slip less but if you don't have one just use what you have. Should come off and has worked for me a couple of times. Socket is still useable after it as well.

find someone with a proper removal tool, will get it off with pretty much no damage so it will be re usable.

Why would you want it to be reusable if you haven't got the correct socket anymore?

Just what I was thinking. Great as a paper weight.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Haha, cheers for all the tips guys. Going to try and get it off in a minute with a torque wrench and the removal tool from Halfords although I've heard (after purchasing one) that it can be a pain in the arse.

Got the mobile tyre dude coming to my work mid morning so hopefully it's off by then! :p

Will just buy a new set of locking wheel nuts then the fun begins of removing the remaining 3!

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
If you can wait buy a matching one off ebay, that's what I did, saved a fortune and my locking wheel nuts!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I wonder how necessary they are in reality, then I do live in the sticks. I can't see anyone stealing wheels off a ten year old car, tempting fate there maybe?

I don't think they are necessary tbh, when was the last time you saw a car sitting on bricks?
the reality is even with locking wheel nuts if someone wants the wheels they will take them, its fairly easy to remove locking wheel nuts tbh - just read above!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think they are necessary tbh, when was the last time you saw a car sitting on bricks?
the reality is even with locking wheel nuts if someone wants the wheels they will take them, its fairly easy to remove locking wheel nuts tbh - just read above!

I agree - if they want them, those alloys will be gone. One of the reasons why I would never spend silly amounts of money on alloys.
At best, locking wheel-nuts are a mere deterrent.

D.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Halfords set locking wheel nut removal tools, £18 for 3 different sizes.
they're normally on the shelf next to the locking wheel nuts.

At best, locking wheel-nuts are a mere deterrent.

That's just it though. Almost all anti-theft devices are essentially just a deterrent. Locking wheel nuts don't exactly cost a mint for a set. Using an impact gun and hammering a socket on aren't exactly quiet either whilst a tea leaf is doing it and it does make the process longer, albeit a small difference! Personally it's a no brainer if you've got aftermarket alloys.