ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to stop brakes screetching

Just fitted new pads to my 02 Dynamique. Even though I plastered the back of the pads in copper grease they are making really bad noises when braking.

Any ideas how to stop this??

Rik

When i fitted mine they did that for a couple of days. They sometimes squeal bit when cold too. Remember to bed them in..they have to de-glaze.

-Rob

another handy tip.. take the pads back out adn coat the side that sits against the caliper ( NOT THE BRAKE DISC !! !!!! ) with copper ease and put them back in, making sure not to get it on your brake discs, or your car wont stop !!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Did you put them in the right way round. :p

Seriously though, check the are situated properly, check your disks for damage and if not try and bed them in slowly, no hard braking unless you cant help it.

How to solve squeeky brakes:

Take pads out and with a grinder make a small (few millimetres) campher on leading edge of each pad. Reassemble with copaslip and bingo! cures 90% of these problems

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

take the pads back

i fitted some mintex ones to mine which did not have a metal plate on the back and they squealed like f**k.

i replaced them with bendix ones (with the metal pad) and they didnt squeak.

job done.

I did use copper grease. Also they came with no metal shims.

Discs seem to be fine, the noises seem to only be when braking at slow speeds, although even that isnt as bad as it was at first.

Daft question, do the pads have a set for the drivers side and a set for the passenger side or are they all the same??

Will see how it goes, thanks.

all the same, but some pads are directional, in that they need to be fitted to a specific side of the caliper.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by rik_trendell on 01 March 2004

I did use copper grease. Also they came with no metal shims.

Discs seem to be fine, the noises seem to only be when braking at slow speeds, although even that isnt as bad as it was at first.

Daft question, do the pads have a set for the drivers side and a set for the passenger side or are they all the same??

Will see how it goes, thanks.

some pads are directional but they would be marked so you know which way.a lot of genuine renault pads are directional now.