ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HP mods..

My car is at HP for some mods and I wondered if anyone else has tried anything similar.....lots asking nobody doing!

40mm drop (if mk1 lowering kit works on mk2)
Cat back exhaust - HP custom - assuming its at least as good as a Magnex
HP induction kit - front fog air intake leading to a heatshielded RamAir induction kit
Tarox pads - standard discs

Aiming to reduce roll whille cornering, increase torque and power - nothing unusual then! The RR2 day should help confirm what has happened - if anything.

Arjun

Dont think Nick does custom exhausts anymore does he?

Oh yeah and if you see him can you ask if hes got my annodised engine caps that I ordered last October yet!!

Dont know what exhaust is on it, it says Power ???? on the silencer......he said he has a bloke that does them and he fits them...

ak

At the RR day, the car sounded awesome...much improved but not offensive

Power was a little disappointing but then some were...it was a strange day..some figures spot on, some up, others down...

Ta
J

The lowering has had a big impact on body roll - it always feels solidly planted now, although I need to do a few more miles; firm but fair is how I would describe it now..

The RamAir induction kit, HP heat shielding/twin air scoop and exhaust - The car revs much more smoothly to the limiter and now is more vocal with a real *rasp*.

Over a known distance I have been able to see a speed increase of around 10mph.

Petrol economy is down from average 28-29 to 26-27.

The rolling road figures show a small increase in power and torque, but the difference can be really *felt*. I can smoothly cruise @ 30mph in 5th, in fact 5th in slow moving traffic provides enough grunt to keep you on your toes unless the traffic is very free flowing.

At the rolling road, it apparently shows the engine running lean at 6k+ rpm (0.05% co - plus/minus??), although I spoke to Middlesex Tuning and they reckoned that was within MOT range, mentioned NOS-Nicks fuel regulator but they thought the lama sensor would cause the ECU to back off the fuel to keep the emissions right, not sure about all this and will try and speak to HP as fuel remapping has been mentioned as the only way round all of this.........any input appreciated...!

ak

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

The car sounds nice.
I think like you said chiping is the way to go. This should work well with your other mods. And give a bit more poke

The only problem with chipping is the cost. Called Power Engineering just to enquire what a Unichip costs and its around £500+, including the RR sessions to set it up, which is quite a lot really, Superchips is around £300+, not icluding the RR sessions. Power boost valve is around £75+, plus fitting and the RR session but its not linear in operation as I though so could be the cheaper viable option...

Have to admit, I would prefer the Unichip though...

Still need to talk to NH@HP to decide as France beckons!

BMW 320d Sport

your 172 was quality Arjun, I was well impressed, at last someone actually getting cracking on their brand new motor.

in theory, if you adjust the fuel pressure the ECU will detect the extra fuel through the lama sensor and shorten the injector duration to compensate and lean out the mix again.

In practice (in my 16v), the ECU can only control the fuel mix within certain limits, it cannot adjust the duration as much as it would need to, to keep the mix right at different revs, so tries its best and fails. This means the adjustable fuel pressure regulator *will* have an appreciable effect on the fuel mixture.

Thanks Nick. Ive been trying to get through to NH today but I think hes busy....I definitely want to get this done ASAP as I hate the thought doing any possible damage to the engine!

And Ill be trying to get it past Eagle Star, after all, according to the RR print, the car is performing *below* the manufacturers spec - surely I should get a discount?

BTW, do the prices I mentioned sound about the norm?

Arjun

BMW 320d Sport

The prices sound about right. I know some people have found places that do the Unichip for £300 all in, but theres nowhere I know of near me that does, £500 is the going rate.

Only do the power boost valve if you dont mind having fuel pipes running all over your engine bay!

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I was gona say there I heard there where some places you could get it done for around £350 (again not sure where).
But dont go to superchip.
If Hillpower do get round to doing one then I would stick to that. should be pretty cheap as well seeing as the current chips are around £150.