ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HTC Wildfire - Android 2.2 software Update help?

I've recently got a HTC Wildfire.
Looking on the web, I understand the Froyo update (2.2) is available for the Wildfire.

However I've checked and only have 2.1 installed, and when I click to see if there are any updates it says there aren't?

My Wildfire is unlocked, and I'm using it on o2, but I think it originally may have been on vodafone, as I get the vodafone logo on startup. Could this be the reason why I can't see the update?

If so, how would I go around this problem, and update it to Froyo?

Thanks.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Vodafone should have 2.2 now, they were one of the first

you need to debrand the handset, Google it, basically install a fresh generic version of Android 2.2 on there

Yea, I remember doing a similar thing on my old N95.
I just checked Vodafone's website, and according to the forum's they still haven't released 2.2 on the Wildfire!

Thing is I know its unlocked, and the only hint that its a vodafone phone is the logo on startup, there's nothing on the menu's or anything?

Is debranding the same as rooting?

ITB'd MK1
Yea, I remember doing a similar thing on my old N95.
I just checked Vodafone's website, and according to the forum's they still haven't released 2.2 on the Wildfire!

Thing is I know its unlocked, and the only hint that its a vodafone phone is the logo on startup, there's nothing on the menu's or anything?

Is debranding the same as rooting?

yes, you'll need to root the phone.

non branded wildfires will have 2.2 so get your phone rooted and then install a 2.2 generic rom :)
google xda developers forum they should have a guide for your phone, if not just ask on there or search youtube. the phone is so much better rooted and i think the villainrom team has made a rom for the wildfire which will be the one to get :approve:

It's not even been confirmed yet if the Wildfire will get Froyo has it?

If you search on google, there seem to be a lot of sites suggesting that it is on the Wildfire, at a similar time to the desire, but obviously with delays for carrier versions.

I've been on the XDA developer forum, and found a few tips, from what I understand its exactly as dajones says. Rooting then loading a generic rom. it all seems a bit complicated though!

So If I root my wildfire using the guide on the following link:
XDA Dev. Wildfire Root Guide

Then create a gold card?

Then load it with the most up to date rom from here:
http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Buzz/
I think it's this one:
RUU_Buzz_HTC_WWE_1.37.405.1_Radio_13.53.55.24H_..> 13-Oct-2010 20:57 133867421 ?

Then that will mean I have a generic unbranded android on there, and then will be able to get the Froyo update OTA - If its out?

I think I've got that right?!