ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Huge EU roaming charge.

Me and my girlfriend have just returned from prague for 3 days and while we were they we used her iphone for browsing trip advisor, using maps etc. Lightish usage. o2 have just text her with a HUGE data roaming charge. I mean huge, twice the cost of the holiday!

Ive just rang o2 and they dont have any record of the eu roaming data, and ive checked myself on the website and it only lists upto the 18th, we were there will the 20th. The fella on the phone said we should ignore the text until something shows up on the website.

presuming it does (im sure it will once the system updates) do we have a leg to stand on? can we plead ignornace? shes been with o2 for about 10 years, always paid her bill on time (which is usually £20!)

/nightmare.

There have been warnings about this all over the web, and on the tv about roaming charges for internet usage abroad.

You've used the internet, and now you'll have to pay the bill. You should never use data abroad unless you have something set up for it.

O2 charge £3 per MB in Europe.

Had similar after coming back from Egypt, £280 for browsing a few websites. This was Orange though.

LOL!!!

Why would you?

Data roaming on the iPhone is set to "off" as default, so someone would have to switch it "on" and read the warning below.

Do some of you have trouble dressing yourselves in the mornings? :D

LOL!!!

Why would you?

Data roaming on the iPhone is set to "off" as default, so someone would have to switch it "on" and read the warning below.

Do some of you have trouble dressing yourselves in the mornings? :D
Wasn't an iPhone, was a SPV, knew roaming charges were going to be higher than at home but not that high. Lesson learnt.

DB.

BMW 440i
Wow, i didn't realise it was this expensive!

Will be taking note for my holiday to Ibiza in a few weeks and make sure the missus does on her peasant blackberry

Cheers for sharing this. :approve:

Formally Clio 182
When I left the UK I actually got a text from o2 warning me about data roaming charges.

As she ignored this you probably have no leg to stand on.

When I left the UK I actually got a text from o2 warning me about data roaming charges.

As she ignored this you probably have no leg to stand on.

+1

Actually, I remember now, I got about 3 texts from O2 warning me about data charges when I went to France in May.

She had been warned, and I imagine, there's not much they will do. :(

172 Cup
It's a good job you went on holiday to somewhere in the EU. Otherwise you'd be paying a bill of £4000 not £400.

After researching these sort of problems I do feel a tad lucky that it's just £400!

When I rang o2 earlier they said it was not on the system yet so there's nothing they could do, said to ignor the txt and it if comes through online I should ring back and "we'll see if we can sort it". 400 quid equates to about 160mb, just checking previous bills my normal data usage comes to about 200mb per month! I'll just lay it on thick, can't afford to pay, no warning via txt etc etc in hope to get some money off.

when i went on holiday to greece last month i got a text from o2 telling me to turn data roaming off etc as it could cost in excess of £1 per minute

Clio 182
There was something on the radio about this people had phone bills of like £500! I heard they were capping it at £45 though...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd just say if you can't get anywhere, fine i'll pay it but thats the last penny you will ever get off me, going to orange, taking all my family and friends etc etc...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Serves you right for having an iPhone tbh

Data roaming in Jersey (where we have an office) is £7.50 a meg on T-Mobile

Count yourself lucky :p

We had a Jersey user run up a 27 thousand pound bill in a month in the US in data

1.5dci
Last time i went to Guernsey i kept getting txt messages every time i turned the phone on again stating how much per MB i'd get charged if i did go online. Have a feeling it even told me that i had a smartphone and that it may automatically go online if i leave it connected to the network.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Last time i went to Guernsey i kept getting txt messages every time i turned the phone on again stating how much per MB i'd get charged if i did go online. Have a feeling it even told me that i had a smartphone and that it may automatically go online if i leave it connected to the network.

Most smartphones have data roaming disabled by default, for good reason ;)

Mini Cooper S sport
Didn't you get texts warning about data charges when you turned the phone back on after the plane landed? I'm on O2 and I got lots of warning texts in Crete. I switched off all the data roaming before I left. No twitter/internet for a week was quite nice.

Lupo GTI
Glad I seen this before I go abroad next week.
Although I've just looked an my iPhone has it already turned off and it will be staying like that!

i was in the internet cafe in the alps connected to the wifi whilst i was uploading pictures from my phone. the wifi signal cut off bye bye £160 :eek: next time i go abroad im taking a cheapo phone that does sod all