ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hunting big power

Mk2 Ph2 1.2 16v
This sounds epic, ill be honest my knowledge of everything happening under the hood is minimal. Cant wait to see what this widebody CF kit is going to look like! tucking 10's FTW!

Lionel Richie
you don't seem keen on naming anyone LOL!

From memory i believe the top boys in france moved the inlet ports up in the head massivley, the stock port position just couldn't do anymore than 250beans

From memory i believe the top boys in france moved the inlet ports up in the head massivley, the stock port position just couldn't do anymore than 250beans

Do they block off the water gallery between the valves to straighten the port?

Clio 197

LOL here's a glue then. The guy that designed my cams and did the CNC port flow maching, also did the heads on the 2 x F1 world championship winning Mercedes engines while he was in charge at Ilmor 1991- 1996, I am sure that you can work out who it is from there.
He disagrees with your statment that the ports have to be moved to achive more than 250BHP. heres a link to one of his F4R heads at work, not as high a spec as mine but close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2B5Lkp0Au8

I am sure you will agree while the near 280 BHP is pretty impressive whats really inpressive is the fact its done at only 7600 RPM

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
That's quality. 280bhp 

Two fuel rails seems pretty hardcore, I wander what mpg you'll get when your driving to the shops ;)

Clio 197
That's quality. 280bhp 

Two fuel rails seems pretty hardcore, I wander what mpg you'll get when your driving to the shops ;)

1.1 litres per mile at full racing speeds:evil: or at least thats what I got when I drove a test car at Brands although it was a tad more powerful.

Last edited:
  Clio Williams & 182
The old Sodemo F7R's used to make about 300bhp iirc. Surely the more modern F4R can manage that?

Lionel Richie
1.1 litres per mile at full racing speeds:evil: or at least thats what I got when I drove a test car at Brands although it was a tad more powerful.

seems a lot? From memory F1 is "about" 1.25L per mile, we were 1.45L per mile LOL

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

LOL here's a glue then. The guy that designed my cams and did the CNC port flow maching, also did the heads on the 2 x F1 world championship winning Mercedes engines while he was in charge at Ilmor 1991- 1996, I am sure that you can work out who it is from there.
He disagrees with your statment that the ports have to be moved to achive more than 250BHP. heres a link to one of his F4R heads at work, not as high a spec as mine but close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2B5Lkp0Au8

I am sure you will agree while the near 280 BHP is pretty impressive whats really inpressive is the fact its done at only 7600 RPM

Rofl :clap:

Superb project. Any further updates? :)

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
RE the video / power figures
Is there much power to be gained from not driving an alternator (and presumably gearbox) when bench testing?

Attachments

• DSCF2016.JPG
    DSCF2016.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 278
  Clio 200
Just found this thread whilst searching for big valve heads, what did this engine finish making?

And regards who did the headwork, it says:

Well no Ilmor engines won between 91-96, it wasn't until 98 and 99 when it was under the Mercedes-Ilmor banner. Though I assume you are talking about Mario Illien maybe?? Highly unlikely he'll port me a head (Google says he's probably busy consulting for Renault F1!) but if I went to Ashford Motorsport who apparently used one of his head on that 279bhp engine linked, then I presume Ashford must be 'the' place to get a big valve head from? I'm massively sceptical of that power at those revs mind.