ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’ve been put off buying a 172/Cup now

I really fancied a 172 or Cup but having read the horror stories on here i dont think i should risk it now. Saxos are susposed to have poor build quality but we dont get half the complaints on our forum like on here about knocking noises and such.

Every 172/Cup owner on here seems pissed off with their cars!:eek:

Most of the problems are common problems which are simple to fix, as mentioned in other threads no one will post to say my car didnt break down today yippee!

Theyre great cars dont let these thing put you off.

stop being a baby :D - they are no worse than any other car you will buy, especially for the money!!! my sister has an slk32 AMG and has problems with it for goddsssake - we run all sorts of Mercs, BMWs, Saabs, Audis at work and we get problems with all of them - worst being a 7 Series BMW that cost over £70k and was in the garage about 6 times in the first 3 months!

there are over 1000 of us on this forum, how many do you hear moaning?

I have never ever moaned about mine, it has had a couple of small things wrong and dealer has put them right.

We have now had 5 clios in this house in the last 2 years, 2 x 172, 1 x Cup 1 x 1.6 and 1 x diesel - and none of them has had any serious problems!!

silver valver/hybrid

one thing you might consider though, ive seen a cup after an accident and a saxo after an accident, cup held its shape well driver was ok (was on this forum) saxo not so good, didnt see driver but car was well mangled wasnt even a high speed collision.:sick:

k, but we all know the drivers are serious problem cases... tit might be attacking you from the inside outwards, rather than the cars having problems.

;-)

xx

Im not being a baby. Just dont wanna spend £12,995 on a car thats in and out of the garage!

Ive had two Saxos, a VTR and a VTS and had not one problem with them.

If you look after it, youll be fine, If you drive it to within an inch of its life everyday then expect problems (but a whole load of fun).

Abarth 595 Trufeo

I have ordered a 2nd 172.

We have had the mk1 172 for 3 years, and we are keeping it.

It has had a few little things niggle - nothing major. the car has been into the garage 4 times in 3 years - once for a service, once for a MOT and twice with warranty issues.

If it wasnt any good I would not be buying another.

I bet which ever forum you go on to they will be talking about probs with the cars - I checked out the Honda Type R forum and they were all bitching about their cars & Hondas are meant to have fantastic build quality (not)

If theres that much doubt in your head go & buy another citreon

~ H ~

Couldnt disagree more!

I had a VTS from new, in the 3 yrs i had it, it went back to 2 different Citroen garages a total of 22 times. Citroen UK had the car for 2 weeks in the first year and 2 weeks in the 2nd year, they always came back and told me there was no fault with the car! I would drive it out of the garage and the thing would then spend the next 3-4mths stalling at every 3-4th junction i came too! The revs would stick at 3000 revs, you had to turn the engine off/on to sort it out! In 3 years, i did 18,000 miles in it.

Before that i had a new Ford Fiesta 1.6si, in 2 years, it had the power steering rack replaced, 2 water pumps, 1 fuel pump, full front suspension replacement (shocks had gone), a new CAT, then full new exhaust system from the manifold back (Yes, replacing the Cat which had gone yet again!).

I have had my cup 4 mths now, and not had a single fault (touch wood) in 4000 miles of driving!

You do find i think, that people are more likely to voice dis-satisfaction with a product than satisfaction. I worked on the Epson support desk for inkjets at the start of my IT career, we took ~3000 calls a day for support/warranty issues. in 2.5yrs of working on that desk we had 1 (yes ONE) letter telling us how good the printers were, and i can count on my hand the number of times someone wrote in to thank the support agent that fixed there problem. When you think of all the calls (3000x365x2.5=~2.75million calls) it goes to prove that people like to (if youll pardon the phrase) b**ch about something being bad than living up to their expectations!

Quote: Originally posted by derv on 06 October 2003

one thing you might consider though, ive seen a cup after an accident and a saxo after an accident, cup held its shape well driver was ok (was on this forum) saxo not so good, didnt see driver but car was well mangled wasnt even a high speed collision.
Got to agree here.. i totally f*cked my clio up wen i crashed it, spun it into a ditch, rolled it and spun it through the air!

I "luckily" walked out without a scratch... car was destroyed tho :sick:

Admitadly i had probs with the 172, some costly... if it wasnt for the expense renault charge and lack of customer care, i wouldnt even have bitched about most of them!

Nippy white cup

Ralphy you really should pass one up, everytime I go for a blast in mine I cant stop smiling. Over 6000miles since the end of June and havent had a problem worth mentioning.

You werent at York on Sunday were you. What colour is your VTS as there were a few around.

Chris

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 06 October 2003

Comon kefkef not a problem at all!!?? Not rattles/excess wind noise? Not even a bloen speaker??

I think you must be the only 1!!

Nope, cant say i notice any of the above! I hardly listen to the radio/cd (only when the girlfriend is in, and thats only to drown out the screams of Slow Down from the passenger seat), but all 4 speakers work ok. Got no rattles i have noticed.

dont get me wrong, there are a few annoyances, such as the indicator noise! Whoever thought that slow terrible click was needed i think should be shot, its a far nicer noise in my friends megane. The gear change light could be more prominant etc...... but these are more design issues not faults, as they are the same on every cup ive been in, and are more to do with my personal taste than an actual mechanical fault.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

going on 18000 miles, and I had the air-con recharged under warranty. and a bit of paint resprayed under warranty in the wheel arch.

Ralphy - Ive complained about the 4k rattle and some ofthe noises coming from the car, however that really does pale into insignificance once you start thinking of the overall deal.

the car is a cracker and shouldnt be passed up. Mate has just bought a brand new Mercedes and thats got a bit of a rattle in the sun roof. these things just happen though.

It really is the case that every time i get in the car i get a smile on my face. the only other car i used to have this in was my mates EVO 6. Now id take that and a few rattles if I had too!!!!!!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Mine was perfect for 9 months no rattles and no problems, it was increadibly fun and with all the toys an excellent bargin. Then the bloody thing turned and tried to kill me by deploying an airbag whilst I was over taking a truck causng the engine to switch off and me to swerve in front of the truck as visability with all the smoke was nil and park it on the bloody grass behind a crash barrior where it proceeded to get a flat due to a piece of metal sticking in the tyre that was behind the barrior. AHHHH!!

5 weeks without a car (no courtisy one offered) and Camden Renault trying to charge me £3000 for a seat, I gave up on the car and sold it, the amount of trouble I had getting it fixed under warranty over shadowed the 9 months of driving pleasure, no more French cars for me ever, it will have to be Geman or Jap.

Ralph - they are excellent little cars but IMHO their build quality is crap and the after sales service is worse.

a mate of mine has a new Merc CLK 500, he says its the worst thing he has ever bought, rattles, blown speakers, it constantly pulls to the left etc.. the dealer doesnt want to know. puts its into perspective a little.......

If youre into cars reliability should be well down the list of priorities, if it looks good and goes well then who cares! You have 3 years warranty..

Perfection is boring!

-Rob

I owned a 16v before which rattled, bitched, moaned, clonked, farted, squeeked, bumpd and broke down. Which makes my Cup feel even more special...

Moral of Story - Go by a sh*tter, spend ££££ on keeping it on the road for 6 months, Then buy a new car, use the warrenty and realise how lucky you are...!!

Oh and get on with it and buy a GodDam 172/Cup!!

I was very nearly put off buying one by the forum too, but eventually I thought WTF, at least reading up on it 1st I know what the problems are.

The bottom line is that there are a few very vocal people repleatedly bleating on about a handfull of relatively insignificant rattles etc - you dont read stories of blown engines (get across to the scoobie forum for that:))

I have the 4k rattle and a drivers door rattle, they will be fixed under warrenty, whats the big deal about that? the car is booked in. I am probably going to get a performance zorst anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 06 October 2003

Ralphy you really should pass one up, everytime I go for a blast in mine I cant stop smiling. Over 6000miles since the end of June and havent had a problem worth mentioning.

You werent at York on Sunday were you. What colour is your VTS as there were a few around.

Chris
No i wasnt at York mate, abit far for me cos i live in Oxfordshire.

My VTS is black like Craggys.

Kefkef, the problem with your VTS was the engine mangement system. Its a common fault on 106s and Saxos, did it stall at junctions and traffic lights? Just needed taking to your dealer and putting on the diganostic machine.

Cant stop smiling.

The cup is meant to eminate the clio cup racers - are you telling me these dont squeak and rattle? I bet they do and even more than ours!

I think it gives the car character and i only officially have another 17mths with mine. I am already not looking forward to selling it. I dont think I could bring myself to do it.

If the squeaks and rattles p!ss you off that much just turn the radio up or accelerate harder, i wish people would please stop moaning and appreciate what a bargain old style hot hatch they are in ownership of:D

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 06 October 2003

I really fancied a 172 or Cup but having read the horror stories on here i dont think i should risk it now. Saxos are susposed to have poor build quality but we dont get half the complaints on our forum like on here about knocking noises and such.

Every 172/Cup owner on here seems pissed off with their cars!:eek:

I owned a 172 for about a year and only sold it cause I was only using it 1 or 2 days a month. I had only 1 thing go wrong and that was the back wheel scrubbed on the inner mudguard due to a loose nut on the inner guard. They replaced the guard and fitted back on and thats it. No more problems.

I had my VTR for 3 years and it had 90,000 on the clock when I sold it and never had a problem. Overall, a good cheap, fun car..

Ive had the 172 since Feb and have had the normal airbag, rattle, etc..... problems but they have all been sorted under warranty.

In my opinion, if you want no sqeaks, rattles then buy a Toyota!! If you want a car that will blow any Citreon into the weeds then buy a 172/Cup.

At the money there are at the moment you cant get better!

Oh and by the way. My boss has had his brand new CL55 AMG merc into the garage last week because all the electronics failed. Good old German build quality and a lovely way for your £93,000 car to treat you.

Buy a 172 and buy one now!!!

Moose

Revels Mum & Sister

I would live with a few rattles for the Performance.

But in the same breath I wouldnt buy a 172 or Cup to be honest.

Driven a few and the Valver is far more fun to drive IMHO. Not starting a a slanging match. As the 172/Cup are swesome. Just what I think. Couldnt warrant spending £13000 if it isnt nay more fun than my £3000 Valver

Try one out mate!

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 06 October 2003

Im not being a baby. Just dont wanna spend £12,995 on a car thats in and out of the garage!

Ive had two Saxos, a VTR and a VTS and had not one problem with them.
I had 3 VTSs and they where never out of the garage. Theres good and bad with every make I guess.

My 172 had all the common niggles, but sorted.

My Lexus had a squeek in the dash somewhere Grrrrrr!

My Clio V6 has so many weird noises I am thinking of recording them and selling the sounds for the next Dr Who series.

My new £37K MPV has a clonking spare wheel but dont notice it above Shirely Bassey at full volume :)

Thats cars, whatever the make or cost it would seem .........

Quote: Originally posted by Liquid_ICE on 07 October 2003

I would live with a few rattles for the Performance.

Driven a few and the Valver is far more fun to drive IMHO. Not starting a a slanging match. As the 172/Cup are swesome.
Have to agree there. My valver was soo much more fun, But thats only because i was throwing a 3k car around instead of a 13k car. Im a lot more carefull with my Cup, and have done 3k in a month, few rattles but hey...its what you get. but needless to say, if you buy any performance car, they will all rattle. Mates Dad owns a GT2, that has a few. Bosses Lambo also has some character already...its just what you get when you buy a car thats lives most its life at 6000rpm and gets thrown into corners.

Ralf, have you driven a 172/Cup yet?

I have just cleared 10000m. feels like it has loosend up now, no problems apart from the 4k rattle which is more of a vibration noise, this is not really an issue, for me it only seems to vibrate when i am coming down the revs. i will propably be replacing it with a performance item aswell.

I cant comment on the support from Renault yet as I have not had to deal with them.

I love the thing, it is a modern car with an element of the old school GTI rawness. it is great to be able to compete with cars well above its price.

If you look after a car it will last as long as u want it to, regular ontime services, dont thrash it within an inch of its life all the time;)

Mondeo STTDCI

I would never, EVER buy another car from Reno. Mine is only the 1.2 Extreme.

As far as the car goes, it certainly has got some character. It rattles like f**k (and Ive dynamated the door panels!). The sun roof pisses me off.

After a few thousand miles, my steering wheel started clicking when i turned it. Not loud but noticeable, Reno didnt wanna know and said it was normal ( if its normal why wasnt it there before ). Rear seatbelt also had to be fixed on warranty.

But most importantly i wont touch a Reno cos the after sales service is completely, and utterly SHOCKING. I had a car hit me on my wing and had my insurance job at the garage I bought my car. I went to pick it up and found that the interior wasnt grubby, it wasnt dirty, it was bloody FILTHY. Extreme interiors (the first ones) were notorious for getting stained easily but mine was MINT when I took it in. The monkees at Reno took it back to try to clean it and did a sh*t job. In the end I had to get a Valet.

The wishbone was also f**ked, and a year on has started making f**ked up noises again. Its bollox. Cant wait to sell the b**ch.

Also had numerous problems when booking it in to get stuff done. Basically they havent a clue what they are doing at my 2 local dealerships.

2012 WRX Waggon

Quote: Originally posted by Mitsi on 07 October 2003

dash are u loaded?

Well to quote Shirley Bassey "The minute he walked in the joint...I could see he was of man of distinction....a real BIG spender";)

Ive driven a MK1 172 which was X reg and when accelerating the exhaust rattled like f**k! I have also driven a 172 Cup twice. Loved the Cup.

Clio 172 Cup

just get a cup, wack a noisy air filter and an exhaust and then u wont hear any of the rattles. Then hope 4 the best that u dont run into any other problems.