ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I have an R Sport ECU!

Nissan R35 GT-R

Had the R Sport ECU fitted today. I was expecting little improvements here and there, but the results are much better than expected.

The car is really strong when pulling away (even just driving in traffic) and you dont have to rev the car loads just to get it moving now like you did before.

The torque comes rushing in just that little bit sooner, and feels quicker in every situation. Best of all, it now revs to 8,000 rpm and doesnt feel one bit asthmatic until about 7,800 rpm. Its not been on the rollers as I dont see the point because re-maps are all about driveability, and the ECU is worth every bit of the money it costed.

The ECU is a Renault part and is fully approved in all warranty aspects.

Laurence (still smiling) :D

Nissan R35 GT-R

I got it done at R-Sport this morning. Costed about £280.00 after VAT and labour.

I dont think the rolling road will do it justice and show just how good it really is. The throttle response is just something else!

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

would love to go for a blast in a cup, never been in one. especialy a chipped one.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 21 March 2003

The ECU is a Renault part and is fully approved in all warranty aspects.

Will be interesting if an engine goes bang at 8K RPM!!!!

please post total price, phone no and website....I think they are going to be busy!!!!!!

Do they quote any figures on performance gain???

yea, mine goes to 8k, is completely happy and no worries for the entire time ive run the chip.....but the crank and fly isnt the best balanced item, and you go get a few vibes extra....

Nissan R35 GT-R

The exact cost all in all was £280.35.

You can contact them on 0208 540 9991. There is no website that I know of.

The performance they quote is around 5% increase in torque. I havent noticed any difference in fuel consumption yet, but have not driven it much since having it done.

Im sure the major changes were on ignition curves (as BenR said) and not on injection curves.

As I said before, 5% seems a great deal more when you actually drive the car.

Also the top speed of the car will be significantly higher unless they have limited the 5th gear revs electronically.

Note: The ECU is only for Cups, not standard 172s, although there is one in the pipeline so I am told. Dont know about warranty for this though.

the ecu does not work in a mk2 2 172 still.

They have tried it and it f*cks up the engine.

WHy i do not know.

Also the rsport ecu does not take into account a sports exhaust or induction. which is poor.

The cup defo has fbw throttle, not sure i like it and the clutch is a pain in the arse. It seems to have two biting points just when you think your going you let the clutch out a bit more and it bites even harder. With the throttle you dont seem to have as much control when holding on the clutch, it either revs its tits off or stalls. Maybe down to me driving totally different cars, cup not too bad after a few miles

Quote: Originally posted by ak_uk on 21 March 2003

Funny you say that BenR cos thats sort of what Nick at HP was saying.....about the balancing....

Really?

what did he say about it?

Seems like something they skimped on, with the flywheel weights being crap.

PM me

Alfa Mito 155TB

The Renault ECU upgrade is not exclusive to the Cup owners since both cup and 172 have same engine. My friend has fitted the new Renault ECU to his Mk2 172 without any problems.

I am waiting until all tune upgrades are out for the CUP before fitting them to my mk2 172

The cup defo has a fbw throttle as Reno told me so on the phone...a few interesting points about the cluth I can still stall mine if i dont rev it slightly on take off....

Frosty who did you get to fit the ECU was it a reno garage or the boys down at r-sport?

Think Ill be ordering one nxt week after pay day!!!

CTR EK9 turbo

Save yourself the fitting fee and do it yourself, its quite easy. Unless theyve got to plug it in or something?

But if you do decide to DIY heres a tip: slide the battery back a bit before you do anything.....took me ages to undo those bloody nuts on the ecu case with the battery in the way!

Nissan R35 GT-R

The ECU MUST be fitted by a Renault dealer or R-Sport themselves (like they did for me) for warranty approval!

They told me it didnt fit the standard 172. They are the ones who developed it, so I would have thought they would know more than anyone.

Frosty - since the 172 and Cup engines are identical, it makes a nonsense out of the statement that the R-Sport ECU wont fit a Mk2 172!! Sounds like a marketing ploy by R-Sport to make 172 owners wait, then charge them more for the same part!

BTW, anyone know just how much is stored in the ECU i.e. alarm settings, codes etc? Are there any issues in swapping ECUs if this is the case?

The sooner someone gets one of their chipped cars on the RR, the better, so we can all see the power gains!

Nissan R35 GT-R

Well the ECU does a lot more than just the engine management. It also manages airbags (172 has four, cup has 2), climate control (cup doesnt have it), rain sensitive wipers (cup doesnt have them). The list goes on. All these features are ECU-controlled and not implemented in the Cup ECU.

Im gonna get my car on the rollers soon so we can visualise whats going on.

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 23 March 2003

The ECU MUST be fitted by a Renault dealer or R-Sport themselves (like they did for me) for warranty approval!

They told me it didnt fit the standard 172. They are the ones who developed it, so I would have thought they would know more than anyone.

How would they know they fitted it?

What i would like to know is if you make other mods wont it f**k it up?