ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need Harness Mounting Help (pictures)

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,
I have been looking through the forum and there's lots of questions about mounting harnesses but I haven't seen may with pictures how people have mounted them. I am currently looking at buying some 6 point schroth harnesses and wanted to see how people have mounted them. This is my cage
image.jpeg

I will be running a passenger seat and the subframes are the VBD subframes. The shoulder straps I was going to go from the bar that goes from the rear suspension top mounts but am struggling to find the best place to have the lap belt and what not.
Just for ref these are the harnesses I am getting
image.png

Any help and pictures of what people have done would be great
Thank you very much
Ben

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Use the existing outside lap mounting point with an M10 eyebolt in and for the inside straps and crotch straps get some eyebolt plates welded to the floor.

Clio 220 PH2
I'll get a picture for you...I run 4 point harnesses so use the OEM seat belt rail for one side and a Schroth B23A for the other side (exhuast tunnel side)
Beautiful thank you very much. They look a good idea. The side with the B23A how have you fitted is it attached the the seat subframe where the bolt goes through the floor ?

Clio 220 PH2
If you have any questions

I'll try and take some pics of mine for you as well mate.
If you could mate that would be amazing. Are you running a 6 point harness ?
For a 6 point harness will I have to weld eyelets under the seat or are there other options ?
Many thanks
Ben

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If you could mate that would be amazing. Are you running a 6 point harness ?
For a 6 point harness will I have to weld eyelets under the seat or are there other options ?
Many thanks
Ben
Yes mate. I'm running the full on 6 point knacker wreckers! Lol!
You'll need some of the plates with the nut welded on them mate yeah. Can't remember wtf they're called! You're welcome to pop over if you want to take a look at how mine are.

Clio 220 PH2
Yes mate. I'm running the full on 6 point knacker wreckers! Lol!
You'll need some of the plates with the nut welded on them mate yeah. Can't remember wtf they're called! You're welcome to pop over if you want to take a look at how mine are.
Haha I can imagine there not the most comfortable things lol
Is it these I will need ?
image.png

Will these need welding to the car or can I get around welding them to the floor. Only reason I am worrying about welding them is I have just had the inside painted and it looks really nice lol
Thank you very much when I get some free time I will pop over if that's ok :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Haha I can imagine there not the most comfortable things lol
Is it these I will need ?
View attachment 151027
Will these need welding to the car or can I get around welding them to the floor. Only reason I am worrying about welding them is I have just had the inside painted and it looks really nice lol
Thank you very much when I get some free time I will pop over if that's ok :smile:
Yeah they'll do it mate. Just bond them on the underside with silicone sealant.

Clio 220 PH2
Yeah they'll do it mate. Just bond them on the underside with silicone sealant.
Perfect so I am guessing drill a hole through the floor silicone that plate underneath get an eyelet screw from in the inside of the car and that will clamp it down enough for it to be safe ? Or have I got that completely wrong lol
Will I need two for each seat or will I get away with one ?
Many thanks :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Perfect so I am guessing drill a hole through the floor silicone that plate underneath get an eyelet screw from in the inside of the car and that will clamp it down enough for it to be safe ? Or have I got that completely wrong lol
Will I need two for each seat or will I get away with one ?
Many thanks :smile:
Yeah that's it mate. You'll need 4 of those spreader plates if your on a 6 point harness mate. Assuming you are doing the lap belts as well of course.

Clio 220 PH2
Yeah that's it mate. You'll need 4 of those spreader plates if your on a 6 point harness mate. Assuming you are doing the lap belts as well of course.
Perfect thank you so much :)
The fun will begin finding the best place to drill so it doesn't hit the subframe or seat. Would the best place for it be in the middle of the original seat frames bolted directly to the floor ?

Clio 172 (CUP)
This is where I placed the spreader plates for my 6 point harnesses if it helps (messy wiring as it was mid battery relocation)....

pic 1.jpg

Clio 172 (CUP)
A bit of both if remember right. Followed the MSA bluebook best I could, don't remember anything specifying the distance between the crotch straps though. There's two straps so don't see the point in having them next to each other. Has never been brought up in scrutineering as yet ;)

Worth pointing out the difference between these two:
View attachment 150996

View attachment 151027

One is fully welded, the other is just stitched. Either is ok installed as they should be, under the car and through the panel, but installing the second plates as the first are shown would be fairly dangerous, especially for the main lap belts (I appreciate the ones shown are just the crotch straps).
A harness bar was a fairly major oversight in the design of that cage IMHO given the amount of tube involved. Check the angle to the rear cross bar carefully against the guidance in the schroth installation doc.

Clio 220 PH2
Not sure on the official spacing, the Schroth guide will say for definite.

But i personally wouldn't have them that far apart. Prefer the setup in the picture i posted earlier in the thread.
Ideally I would weld them like you said however I can not weld and I am not sure who could weld them in for me so I am trying things that I can do if you know what I mean

Clio 220 PH2
View attachment 150996

View attachment 151027

One is fully welded, the other is just stitched. Either is ok installed as they should be, under the car and through the panel, but installing the second plates as the first are shown would be fairly dangerous, especially for the main lap belts (I appreciate the ones shown are just the crotch straps).
A harness bar was a fairly major oversight in the design of that cage IMHO given the amount of tube involved. Check the angle to the rear cross bar carefully against the guidance in the schroth installation doc.
Yes when I was searching there was an option for a fully welded in one
I know you would think they would add a harness bar in especially as it has pretty much every bar you could think of for a cage

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 150996

View attachment 151027

Yeah, we have the 2nd ones pictured as the inside lap mouting point. You need to drill a hole in the floor large enough for the nut of the plate to fit in, then flip the plate over and then weld the plate to the floor. The force is then pulling up on the plate in the event of a crash.