ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I think i’ve blown them!

I took my Alpine HU out of my W plate 1.2 the other day to fit the steering column remote wires from Autoleads. They didnt work so i sent them back. When i re-fitted my stereo & switched it on all settings were back to factory set. When i turned the bass up to its previous position the sound is awfull,totally distorted! Checked the wiring at the back & they are exactly the same as before.

They are Sony XSF 1323 5.25" front & back.

anybody?
should i just ditch the sonys & get components & amp them?
any suggestions,ive got £100 to spend.

i was thinking of getting a sub but ive heard its best to get good comps & amp them.

Saxo VTS

Well i doubt you can blow them up from just taking the HU out, but suppose they are Xplods.

As for front speakers, well I have a pair of Infinity 500cs Components upfront in my Clio and they deffo sound better than cheap coax.

Probably best off getting down to your local Halfords/Car audio centre and having a look and ultimately a listen to what they have. All well and good so and so sayin "yeah these speakers are ace blah blah" because at the end of the day its down to personal listening prefrence and what you like. But yeah, comps and amp would be the way to go, although with only $100 your only going to get some decent front speakers for that.

Hope that helps.

What sort of set up have u got FincH?
Do u have rear speakers & a sub? Im hopeless with these types of things & any advice would be appreciated.

Just come into a bit of money so Ive got about £200-£300
I dont wanna go over the top I just want some quality sounds in my little car.

any ideas?

Saxo VTS

In my car ive got Infinity Componenets up front and Infinity 6*9s in the back. Both running of the HU at the moment, although I did have an Alpine amp for the Infinitys but it was my brothers.

Anyway, the thing I hear most people doing is Buying a decent set of front speakers, amping them and then buying a sub for the boot. Because bass is no directional it will fill the whole car with sound and having the componenets up front will give YOU some nice mid range sounds.

Most people buy 6*9s and may later get a sub, this is a bad idea because 1) the 6*9s sit behind you so you cant hear them properly and 2) the sub is sharing the same boot space as the 6*9s and will basicly kill them.

So yeah have a look around at some stuff you like and spend your money wisley. Just because something says 1000W doesnt mean its going to sound uber good. Just slowly build up your system with decent stuff rather than £300 of crap.

But with your £300 id recommend buying a decent Sub/Amp package. You could get something like a 10" Amped Vibe sub for £200 and have £100 for compenets, but tbh I dont really know what subs are good and suck. But makes to stay away from would be Sony and anything that looks cheap. Try sticking to the likes of Alpine, Infinity, Phoienx Gold, Rockford Fostgate and Pioneer.

Anyways hope that helps.

if your looking for good comps at a nice price, try the Focal 130A access 5/14" components...sound fantastic for the price @ £129 n work well in a small car like clio. Will work well off a head unit, but then will come alive off an amplifier, something like a Genesis P2 or JL Audio e2150.....

Rear speakers, wouldnt bother if its a good sound stage your after, most good sounding cars have front speakers and sub/amp....Depending what music you listen too, if its all dance a 10" if its R&B / Rap / That sort of thing then a 12" is better cos itll drop more......Cant do wrong by bying a JL Audio 12w0 sub at £135 ish n then £199 for the amp to power it...Finch is right, an amp that says 1000w aint necessarily so, specially if its a sh*t sony or big purple throbbing monster thats Mosfet.......

Good luck....