ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I wish I hadnt sold my cup!

I had a dream about it last night! It may have caused my constant heartache as bits kept falling off it, but it was my first performance car and now I have a crappy new Mazda 2! :dapprove:

Dont get me wrong its a good car and suitable for using for everyday driving for my work, but it just lacks everything the clio had!

Some good memories of my car..

DSC00554.jpg

speedmachine2.jpg

speedmachine1.jpg

Front.jpg

Conditionofpaint.jpg

Back.jpg

172cup.gif

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
I sympathise with you, I know a bloke who now owns a Honda powered Lotus Exige but still misses his 172.
Other people should learn from this...the grass is not always greener. Keep hold of your Sport beyond the 3 year itch when you think it is agood idea to trade it in for something else. Techology and design may move on but it is difficult to find a drivers car like the 1*2.
Evo mag used to wet their pants about the Sport and there haven't been any cars until the lastest Megane that they have liked with the same passion (at everyday oney anyway) that tells me something.

tiTTy & SV650
if it was a bad one with bits falling off then you can always come back to it later when they're cheaper and might even get a good un.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
cant believe you sold it for that random mazda 2 :S

Im going out in my cup soon and i know im going to love it :rasp: couldnt help it ;)

if it was a bad one with bits falling off then you can always come back to it later when they're cheaper and might even get a good un.
Yeah thats what I was thinking... I could get another cup or one of these for £9k-£9.5k..

Lotus 135r, 40,000 miles, sports exhaust, removable steering wheel, 0-60 5.4 secs, 0-100 14 secs 130mph. Always wanted one of these as well..

lotus135r2-1.jpg

lotus135r.jpg

Opinions?

cant believe you sold it for that random mazda 2 :S

Im going out in my cup soon and i know im going to love it :rasp: couldnt help it ;)

It seemed like the right idea at the time.. I use my car everyday and put quite a bit of mileage on it, im saving a fair whack in fuel, tax and insurance at the mo. I just couldnt handle putting that mileage on my cup

tiTTy & SV650
nice lotus, i only punted my 182 to get a mortgage. Phase 1 172s are very tempting now I've settled into the flat.

172 doesnt warrant needing a runaround IMO, its not that bad as a daily runner.

The reason why I quite like that lotus is that it has a removable steering wheel. Allows me to get my lanky frame in and out the car easily. One thing I dont miss about my cup was the bloody engine mounts knocking!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Exactly, really can't see the point with a 172 in shelling out for running another car. They are relatively good on fuel for the performance, insurance isn't scandelous, and just the running costs in general I've found to be pretty good.

Exactly, really can't see the point with a 172 in shelling out for running another car. They are relatively good on fuel for the performance, insurance isn't scandelous, and just the running costs in general I've found to be pretty good.

Yeah the clio less so than the elise but my clio didnt seem to handle higher mileages. 54k miles and it was falling appart!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Mine ticked over 85k last night and touch wood it's been fine (only had mot and 84k service about 2 weeks ago).

Megane R26
Your Mazda 2 will depreciate like mad though, so you might be saving in some ways, but losing in others :(

I have learnt my lesson with new cars with my ST, it has lost about £5k in two years... I could have bought a 172 with that!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Sometimes wished i'd bought a cup.

How come the front end was resprayed?

C63 AMG
I saw an 03 plate Cup the other day. A mint example and stunning to look at. The driver was fit as well.

You were really quite daft to sell it lol.

320d
On the other hand I do think the mazda 2 is a very good looking car for just a normal supermini. Suposed to be the best drive out of its group aswell because its lighter than the rest, only weights around 950kg's.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
hope you get one! i dont know if i want another one tbh! may be an exige if i ever did! but as we have spoke before if you can its one of those cars thats a must have ;)

hope you get one! i dont know if i want another one tbh! may be an exige if i ever did! but as we have spoke before if you can its one of those cars thats a must have ;)

The exige is nice as well but i think it would be even harder to live with! I like the idea of the removable steering wheel, makes it easier for a 6ft 6 guy to get in and out!

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
it wont be any hard to live with than an elise the exige s2 is very simular to the s2 elise imo! yeah removable s/w is good and for security too always would make me laugh carrying that in to a pub! LOL