ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idle Rattle

Clio 182
2004 Clio 182
The car has developed a rattle on idle, it happens when the car has reached temperature. At first I thought it was the exhaust heat shield. I discovered yesterday that if I engage the clutch the rattle disappears. Could it be the clutch release bearing? Or a worn mount?

Many thanks.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had similar, the rattle was very quiet though, but yeah new clutch fixed it.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I bought a Valeo clutch kit from GSF/ECP with a discount code for £70 iirc, and then paid a local garage £200-£250 to fit it.

I had the rattle for quite a while before I got it changed as it does no damage etc, just a bit annoying.

Clio 182
I bought a Valeo clutch kit from GSF/ECP with a discount code for £70 iirc, and then paid a local garage £200-£250 to fit it.

I had the rattle for quite a while before I got it changed as it does no damage etc, just a bit annoying.

I have two options with ECP at the moment, Transmech £131 or Sachs £152, a 30% off discount code can be added when checking out. Are either of these brands worth checking out?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That's the premium one, which 9/10 is Valeo iirc. Wait til the weekend and there is usually a 40% code.

Clio 182
Ch
That's the premium one, which 9/10 is Valeo iirc. Wait til the weekend and there is usually a 40% code.
Cheers, as I said earlier the car is driving as it should at the moment it's just that annoying rattling sound so I'm no big rush, I'll wait for discount.

Clio 182
Manage to pinpoint the rattle coming from clutch this evening, it's definitely the clutch.
Took the car out for about a 20 minute drive, the rattle has now disappeared but my guess is it will return when it cools down. Does this sound like a typical clutch problem?

I read this earlier,

A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing.

Canary172

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Have you experienced clutch judder at all? I endured this when the clutch release bearing in my Cup was on it's last legs.

Canary172

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Have you experienced clutch judder at all? I endured this when the clutch release bearing in my Cup was on it's last legs.

monaco 172
It's not the fork vibrating around the gearbox is It?

Take the cable off the fork and lightly put your finger on it and see if the vibration is still there

monaco 172
If it is the fork then it's probably just a little looser in its housing than it used to be so is vibrating on the gearbox.
It might not be that but it's worth checking if the rattle goes away when you press the clutch down.

It could be the release bearing rattling while there is no pressure on It, which if it is you will need to take the box off to investigate.

monaco 172
If it is the fork then it's probably just a little looser in its housing than it used to be so is vibrating on the gearbox.
It might not be that but it's worth checking if the rattle goes away when you press the clutch down.

It could be the release bearing rattling while there is no pressure on It, which if it is you will need to take the box off to investigate.

Clio 182

I will be checking out the fork first out of those two, is it easy to adjust the fork, tighten it back up?

monaco 172
Don't think so. It just slots in and sits behind the bearing. Clutch cable been a little slack might cause the fork the resonate a little more.

Clio 182
Don't think so. It just slots in and sits behind the bearing. Clutch cable been a little slack might cause the fork the resonate a little more.

So my options are to just put up with the noise or else get the while clutch replaced? The car has recently just hit 80k and there is no evidence of a clutch replacement in those 80k miles.

monaco 172
If thats where the noise is coming from then yeh. You don't have to change the clutch you can just change the bearing but you'd be daft to have the box off and not do the clutch.

80k is young for a clutch on one of these h
Unless it's been abused

Clio 182
If thats where the noise is coming from then yeh. You don't have to change the clutch you can just change the bearing but you'd be daft to have the box off and not do the clutch.

80k is young for a clutch on one of these h
Unless it's been abused

That's what I was thinking might as well replace the whole clutch when the box is off.
I've owned the car for the past two months, so it hasn't been me abusing it lol