ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If you own a modern Clio, it's likely you are a crap driver. Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio Williams & 182
Now I realise that some of you may not understand what the subject line may be asking, so I’ll say it straight: Are more modern cars like your 197’s and newer Clio models with safety crap actually hampering your ability to learn how to drive in conditions like snow? I would say yes, probably.

Most of the oldschool drivers I know, and a lot of the cars I drove back in day when we saw REAL (and not the media hyped crybaby stuff we’ve had recently)bad weather never had the ‘benefit’ of ABS, and certainly not stability control or whatever you have nowadays. REAL men and women, the oldschool hardcore, learned how to drive by not being molly-coddled by software and assisted driving aids that many of the younger generations have now. Apologies if you are a younger driver with skills, I am generalising I know.

Now, I have a Williams and have had a shedload of good old cars that really teach a driver what to do in the event of a slide or oversteer situation. Driving this kind of real mans/womans car can teach you not to panic, but do things which modern cars do not encourage you to do. They certainly don’t teach you how to power slide out of corners when you are losing the back end on black ice at learner school do they? That’s because the modern era of cars is expected to do it for you. Thus I put it to you: Modern Clio’s (and other cars)are flawed and not real drivers cars. Yes, they may be fast, yes, they may not break down so much (for now), but let’s face it: A real mans performance car is one you can drive and know if you f**k it up, you’re gonna die (but at least you’re learning something from the experience, eh?)

Now, I remember my old R5 GTT Raider. I had it at the same time as my old Series McRae Impreza which had ABS and sure was a hoot to drive about like a loon on an empty snow filled airfield, but even the Scoob had ABS which annoyed me a bit (though you could do some amazing powerslides). With the R5, which let’s face it, is about as manly as you can get, with just 0.1 mm of papier-mâché protecting you from a terminal impact, you HAD to learn how to drive hard in all conditions. Cars like the 172, 182 and 197 are just, well, a bit limp wristed?

Now I realise it’s not the fault of the younger drivers, you have no choice as you have been brought up with these cars as your icons, but you’ll never know true driving with cars like these as they are compromised for learning how to cope in potentially difficult situations like a bit of snow.

Dare I say that some of you crashing into things out in the snow recently are merely victims of our society and its ever increasing efforts to wrap us in bubble wrap. I mean, most of the kids I know nowadays think it’s time to call in the NSPCC because mum or dad makes them cook their own dinner for once. Wimps.

When you start a slide and you feel out of control, many drivers, especially the younger ones not familiar with snow or black ice panic and hope their ABS, ESP, ISUCK or whatever it’s called bails them out. Well, HEADS UP KIDS: It won’t. You’re going to crash. All these driver ‘aids’ do, (unless you have a good understanding of the car and react accordingly), is make your crash less likely to kill you or kill anyone else. If you’re really crap, you’ll total the car and smash yourself to bits anyway in your ham-fisted panic.

I am not saying you cannot learn to drive like a real man/woman in a modern car, but what I am saying is that modern cars which feature on this site a fair deal do not encourage you to do so. They make you feel so safe and reassured by the computer’s ability to stop you locking up that there is no normal reason for you to learn how to drive properly, so when the s**t really hits the fan and something strange happens you sit there praying the Holy ECU to bail you out but it’s all out of idea’s, and by the time you realise this, your either in a ditch or buried in someone’s living room under a pile of rubble.

In the bygone era, when cars were not made to consider the overall poor driving standards of today’s drivers, you had to learn using skill and a good understanding of a cars dynamics, when to apply power to get yourself out of trouble, or even use the handbrake to make emergency manoeuvres.

It’s for these reasons I would choose a car without assisted driving aids over one with, certainly in the case of a performance car like the Impreza RA which didn’t have anything including ABS or my R5 or the Williams, my current champion.

Discuss.

Dynamique Flamer
I agree i went sliding all over the place the last two days and didnt have a clue what to do :(

Maybe some people just want a nice motor that goes well? Maybe they dont want to be the next McRae? Doesnt make them bad drivers IMO.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What happens if you own a car just to get to work and don't really care about being able to drive on snow for 2 days out 365?

Clio Williams & 182
Maybe some people just want a nice motor that goes well? Maybe they dont want to be the next McRae? Doesnt make them bad drivers IMO.

It makes their understanding of car dynamics limited, thus a flawed driver. You don't need to be a wannabe McRae (RIP) but one should make the effort to learn, both for fun and safety. I say, modern cars limit the experience of a driver.

Bumder With A Buffer
Well personally I think the level of driving nowadays is shocking. Whether its down to people thinking the ABS or Traction control will keep them on the roads I dont know.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
I own a 2008 Clio but I have been driving for 15 years and learned to drive in cars without ABS. My first car was a Renault 19 and the only "driver aid" was power steering. So, I will have to disagree from my own point of view, but I can see where you are coming from with the younger less experienced drivers. Count yourselves lucky that with the UK driving test you guys are at least taught how to control a car in emergency braking situations!! No such luck in Ireland.

I firmly believe that the driving standards of both the UK and Ireland should be fully and completely overhauled. In America, kids have the opportunity to go to drivers ed in school, and I think that needs to be brought in. Our young people get behind the wheels of expensive and extremely powerful cars lacking the experience and knowledge to be able to properly control such a car and then wonder why they either end up with points, in serious accidents or dead.

I dont claim to be the worlds greatest driver and have been in a few accidents over the last 15 years but after driving over 300,000 miles collectively in my cars thats not really surprising. However, I have no convictions, and no points on my licence.

Just my tuppence really.

Cheers

Andrew

Common sense goes a long way in these conditions. If you don't know how to correct a slide or use engine braking, you shouldn't be behind a wheel tbh.

Even my mum knows how to correct a slide! (although she refuses to take the car out in these conditions, quite sensibly imo)

i hate all this 'real man's car' sh*t; it's just embarrassing

anyway, driver aids are good. they're safety systems designed to give the average user more chance of successfully dealing with an emergency situation. and that's good. it's inevitable technological progress.

none of the cars i've ever owned long term have had ABS but, as a road car, i would rather this particular one had it.

you'll always have options if you don't want a car with any driver aids and there are plenty about.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It makes their understanding of car dynamics limited, thus a flawed driver. You don't need to be a wannabe McRae (RIP) but one should make the effort to learn, both for fun and safety. I say, modern cars limit the experience of a driver.

If you don't provoke the car into such a situation in the first place why would you even care about learning how to drive in snow?

So much crap on the news today about how the UK is un-prepared for this day of snow we've had in god knows how long. Now it's on here...

And wtf, 30 posts in 3 years?

J

joker182

I was driving Capri 3000s & tuned MG V8s back in the late 70s and early 80s, although powerful rear wheel drive they had much narrower tyres which seemed to bite through the snow. I remember taking my Capri 3000s up to Andover during a period of snow worse than the current one in the early 80s and coming home, we did OK.
I do see people driving far too fast in snow, usually the invincible people carriers and 4x4s-- they dont realise with all the gizmos slowing down and control loss is still a big problem. Some of them have been driving around our estate and losing it big time, crashing into other cars etc.
My best snow drive was in the mid 90s when marshalling on the RAC rally , we did a night stage at MIRA in the Midlands and then drove through the snow covered night to Myherin in Mid Wales mountains covered in snow and had to get to our Marshall post for 6.00am on the stage covered in snow with 500ft drops off some sections, it was minus 13C. We did it on road tyres but it was f**king scary.
MIRA was fantastic at night in heavy snow--- Juha Kannkinen driving the works Toyota was driving so hard in the snow all his brake disc were glowing bright orange!
I think many modern cars have so much grip in the dry and wet that it comes as a huge shock to the driver when this goes in the snow.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I heard that ABS/ESP... and the rest were a disadvantage in the snow. Therefore surly it must take more skill to to keep a modern car on the road in these conditions?

M2 Competition
Now I realise that some of you may not understand what the subject line may be asking, so I’ll say it straight: Are more modern cars like your 197’s and newer Clio models with safety crap actually hampering your ability to learn how to drive in conditions like snow? I would say yes, probably.

Most of the oldschool drivers I know, and a lot of the cars I drove back in day when we saw REAL (and not the media hyped crybaby stuff we’ve had recently)bad weather never had the ‘benefit’ of ABS, and certainly not stability control or whatever you have nowadays. REAL men and women, the oldschool hardcore, learned how to drive by not being molly-coddled by software and assisted driving aids that many of the younger generations have now. Apologies if you are a younger driver with skills, I am generalising I know.

Now, I have a Williams and have had a shedload of good old cars that really teach a driver what to do in the event of a slide or oversteer situation. Driving this kind of real mans/womans car can teach you not to panic, but do things which modern cars do not encourage you to do. They certainly don’t teach you how to power slide out of corners when you are losing the back end on black ice at learner school do they? That’s because the modern era of cars is expected to do it for you. Thus I put it to you: Modern Clio’s (and other cars)are flawed and not real drivers cars. Yes, they may be fast, yes, they may not break down so much (for now), but let’s face it: A real mans performance car is one you can drive and know if you f**k it up, you’re gonna die (but at least you’re learning something from the experience, eh?)

Now, I remember my old R5 GTT Raider. I had it at the same time as my old Series McRae Impreza which had ABS and sure was a hoot to drive about like a loon on an empty snow filled airfield, but even the Scoob had ABS which annoyed me a bit (though you could do some amazing powerslides). With the R5, which let’s face it, is about as manly as you can get, with just 0.1 mm of papier-mâché protecting you from a terminal impact, you HAD to learn how to drive hard in all conditions. Cars like the 172, 182 and 197 are just, well, a bit limp wristed?

Now I realise it’s not the fault of the younger drivers, you have no choice as you have been brought up with these cars as your icons, but you’ll never know true driving with cars like these as they are compromised for learning how to cope in potentially difficult situations like a bit of snow.

Dare I say that some of you crashing into things out in the snow recently are merely victims of our society and its ever increasing efforts to wrap us in bubble wrap. I mean, most of the kids I know nowadays think it’s time to call in the NSPCC because mum or dad makes them cook their own dinner for once. Wimps.

When you start a slide and you feel out of control, many drivers, especially the younger ones not familiar with snow or black ice panic and hope their ABS, ESP, ISUCK or whatever it’s called bails them out. Well, HEADS UP KIDS: It won’t. You’re going to crash. All these driver ‘aids’ do, (unless you have a good understanding of the car and react accordingly), is make your crash less likely to kill you or kill anyone else. If you’re really crap, you’ll total the car and smash yourself to bits anyway in your ham-fisted panic.

I am not saying you cannot learn to drive like a real man/woman in a modern car, but what I am saying is that modern cars which feature on this site a fair deal do not encourage you to do so. They make you feel so safe and reassured by the computer’s ability to stop you locking up that there is no normal reason for you to learn how to drive properly, so when the s**t really hits the fan and something strange happens you sit there praying the Holy ECU to bail you out but it’s all out of idea’s, and by the time you realise this, your either in a ditch or buried in someone’s living room under a pile of rubble.

In the bygone era, when cars were not made to consider the overall poor driving standards of today’s drivers, you had to learn using skill and a good understanding of a cars dynamics, when to apply power to get yourself out of trouble, or even use the handbrake to make emergency manoeuvres.

It’s for these reasons I would choose a car without assisted driving aids over one with, certainly in the case of a performance car like the Impreza RA which didn’t have anything including ABS or my R5 or the Williams, my current champion.

Discuss.

Driving like a 'real man/ woman'

What does one of those drive like?

You sound like the average 'advanced motorist' that drives around with a massive chip on their shoulders, thinks theyre gods gift to 'real cars', but is in fact no better than anyone else.

Bear in mind it might make you feel like a real man driving your performance car that might end up in death should you f*ck it up, but it might not just be you that you kill...

Clio Williams & 182
If you don't provoke the car into such a situation in the first place why would you even care about learning how to drive in snow?

And wtf, 30 posts in 3 years?

The accidents you are seeing on the news are not caused by people deliberately provoking cars, but the unpredictability of the snow, so yes you should care about learning how to drive in adverse conditions unless you're a moron.

30 posts. I made posts before now? God, must have been important posts then.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ive owned

1.2 Nova (no driver aids)
1.4 Nova (no driver aids)
1.2 16v Punto Sporting (no driver aids)
1.4 Punto GT (circa 170bhp) (ABS)
172 Cup (No driver aids)
182 ESP/ABS
197 ESP/ABS

I feel the ESP gets in the way. Had a wee blatt with a 172 Cup off here the other week. The Traction control totally killed my car off one roundabout, no need.

172 Cup all the way imo. I'm still here to tell the tale lol. What did we all do before all these 'driver aids'?

Clio Williams & 182
Driving like a 'real man/ woman'

What does one of those drive like?

You sound like the average 'advanced motorist' that drives around with a massive chip on their shoulders, thinks theyre gods gift to 'real cars', but is in fact no better than anyone else.

Bear in mind it might make you feel like a real man driving your performance car that might end up in death should you f*ck it up, but it might not just be you that you kill...

A real man or woman drives they way you'll probably not understand yet, if ever.

You're on L plates right?

This is a discussion, not a personal crusade where you can s**t talk your crap life onto others. Keep to the topic.

Oh, and I am a real man btw, I just checked...

Seriously... all this talk of driver aids. None of them help at all in these conditions!

Which puts everyone in the same boat... whether or not your car is new or old. Period!

M2 Competition
A real man or woman drives they way you'll probably not understand yet, if ever.

This is a discussion, not a personal crusade where you can s**t talk your crap life onto others. Keep to the topic.

Lol! I think that shows how naive you really are fella.

where do you get off talking to people like that?

was Dan rude to you? No.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Good discussion. I must say the Clio is very very easy car to understand/drive/control on normal roads without the adverse weather and if unprovoked its a delight to drive in snow. (Can be a laugh too!)
I've been driving 5 years with a clean license, I learnt in the winter; having a slight understanding of car control, and my driving instructor was a legend. I just wish everyone had the option of doing this.
IMO I think driver aids are excellent, as a one off drive the sheer lack of driver aids on a my old man's Mk1 Golf bring the most enjoyment and add to experience.

BMW 320d M-Sport
An upbringing involving all-weather go-karts, driving on private land before turning 17 and a switch to turn the ESP off - somewhat of a help. I understand where you're coming from; the driving aids can make average drivers look good whilst also limiting a car rather than improving it. An understanding of cars both with and without aids during learning would be a great advantage I feel. Tho if driver aids save lives and can prevent accidents then it's for the best really.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Seriously, who is this guy?

I haven't read so much s**t since MOFO.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Although the majority of your points are highly valid...

The whole real men drive such and such a car with no driver aids, a point you make several times in your post, is b****cks.

Your car doesn't make you a real man, only people with small willys think that.

Breaking mk2 DCI
i put my clio into a fence due to abs, i tried the old let off reapply but the abs kicked in way to soon then it was too late, paint scuffed

Clio Williams & 182
lol, Peps on P plates ...

he has a blue light as well ;)

Sorry, I am not familiar with the 'in-crowd' on CS, so have no reservations about saying what I think to who I like. He made a s**t reply, he got one in return. Touché.

As for blue lights, how many deaths are caused by police or emergency services drivers every year? Go look it up if you don't know...makes interesting reading. Kinda makes my original post even more valid...

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The way you talk about driver aids is though they are an absolute get out clause. If you are going to crash because you are driving beyond any given limit these aids wont magically come down and help you out, not like that guy in VAT's anyway. Controling any sort of off on a public road is very tough as you have so little run off. I also think if your powersliding out of corners on public roads its a bit much, well tbh even on a track day marshalls dont like to see anyone f**king about to that extent!

I have owned a Williams and my 172 and I haven't noticed any differences day to day driving. The only thing I would say is that in the Williams you had to be careful not to light up the tyres but you can always turn the traction control off if you want in the 172.

Last edited:
J

joker182

How about calm down girls and boyz! Many younger drivers have not had any opportunity to drive in the current adverse conditions, they just need a few weeks of driving in snow and ice and they will be fine and adjust OK.
I agree that a lot of so called driver aids ABS, ESP etc in snow are of little use.
As a car driving club I would have thought the best thing to do would be to encourage our younger/ less experienced drivers and pass on skills and knowledge---- not rubbish them.
MY simple advise for driving on the snow is:-
  • Not too fast , but not too slow either
  • Look ahead and plan braking and turns
  • Look aheads and plans braking and turns-- worth repeating
  • Easy on the brakes and throttle
  • If you get a chance on a deserted snow covered car park provoke your car a bit--- feel what happens when it gets out of control
  • Feel the warning signs of loss of control-- light steering, vibration of wheels losing traction
  • Going up hill--- keep going where possible
  • Down hill slow down well before, 1st gear to get maximum engine braking

Status
Not open for further replies.