ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I'm a little lost about suspension for my clio 197...

CRS 197
So... I have been searching a bit on the internet and it doesn't seem like there is much info for the 197, or at least i didn't found it.

I want to make my 197 a trackday car (although road friendly) and i've set what thing I am going to do with everything except the suspension.

I know I am going to get KW V3's (or if there's a better choice for the same price let me know) but I find some problems with it.

With the stock suspension, everytime I get into a track, I DESTROY (literally) the sidewalls of my front tyres, and even though I have enought thread on the inside, the outside of the tyre is worn out so I have to replace it.

I know it's because of the camber, but the point is that I don't know If I'm going to be able to correct it with the standard camber adjustment. Is there ant other wat to correct camber? I looked at AST camber adjustable top mounts but I saw Ben-R1 trien to put them into his car with KW's and didn't work, so now I'm lost.

Any other ways to correct the camber?

Also, when I get the KW's I want to lower the car, and that will mess up the suspension geometry. I saw that for the clio 1x2 is there a bump steer correction kit that allow the lower suspension arm to go lower and return to a near as stock possible location this arm. Is there something for the 197?

Cheers

What tyres are you running? Some, like the T1-R have soft sidewalls compared to others and so you need to add some extra pressure on track to help keep the outside edges from disintegrating.

Of course, you may not have enough camber for the amount of roll allowed by the springs/ARBs, but your new suspension will have stiffer springs increasing roll stiffness and lowering the car will naturally add negative camber.

What you want though, is the ability for the camber to be adjusted to suit your new set-up. I'm not sure whether the KWs have camber control on the strut mounting like some other kits.

HTH
Phil

M2 Competition
What tyre pressures are you running, what tracks and what outside temperature?

If you're ruining all of the sidewall, put more air in (its free... well, 20p)

CRS 197
I am running stock contiSport contact's at the moment.I just ruined them all as there's meat inside, but the outside is shot. Maybe is just because the Continental tyres have soft sidewalls, but you guys can see what happens in this picture:

_1018115.jpg

If you look at the tyre (not the bodyroll, stock non cup suspension can't cope with circuits) you can just see how the sidewall flexes. I was doing 2.2 bar (31 psi) of pressure front and 2 rear.

Las trackday I upped the front tyre pressure to 2.5 (35 psi) and the same happened. I put 2.7 bar (38 psi) and it started to feel weird, so I guessed maybe that was too much pressure.

I'm worried because I'm going to spend 450 pounds in Toyo R888's and 1200 pounds on suspension, and if its going to be doing the same I prefer to stay like it is now.