ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

improving cold air feeds on standard ph2 172

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
On my ongoing quest for improvement i have now looked into new caf's, purely as i could get positive gains for fewer £££ :cool: , so first question what have you guys done, got any pics? Guides?

I've had a search & read up on the acoustic valve, i get the theory behind it but just wondered if some one knows what sort of rpm this opens & if this is one more thing that gives the 172 the 5k "kick" from the increased airflow along with the engine coming on cam, as i plan only to enlarge the small caf ( one on top ) just to in theory help with breathing before the acoustic valve opens

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Been tempted into doing that, just worried of hydro lock as the uk doesn't seem to be the dry'est of places :dapprove:..

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
i told him to kiss my arse

LOL

Have heard of this happening to a few people so would prefer to avoid, planned more to put a bigger bore'd caf into the box as the top is fairly small, you got any pics of yours mate?

I have mine sicking through the grill..if it rains and there is big puddles about..I just pop it up...its normally cooler then in anycase :)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
What size cold air feed tube did you use mate? any one know the standard size cold air feed? the cloth small one on top of the airbox that is

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
since refitting my acustic valve i could swear the car apears to have gained torque midrange, but its possibly all in my head, its getting better mpg with it fitted too! ill be leaving it on

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
On my arctic blue 182 I have 76mm diameter piping going from the Vipoer kit I have to the front lower grill. Despite what most people said I couldn't get it there as standard - I had to cut out part of the side of the undertray so as to get a nice run for the piping without squashing the pipe. I get loads of comments about how good it looks - prob hasn't made a blind bit of difference to performance though!

Still got 80cm of piping (76mm) left - motorsport stuff from Merlin at Castle Coombe.

Ph1
Only really worth f**king around with it if you relocate battery to be fair but no-one really does it

Agree

There's far too much concentration on silly CAF's and daft factory airboxes when the obvious restriction most people ignore is the 90 degree inlet bend

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
panel filter and leave it alone as renault intended. they are hard enough work as it is lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not this again

IMO best left well alone

Wasn't there a thread(s) regarding the fact that changing the CAF alone won't give you any benefits - in fact it could decrease your mpgs as the ECU tries to match the extra air with extra fuel input?

I thought these things only gave benefits if you went down the route of full remaps, etc?

They do look good though. :cool:

D.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
What about ph1 172 ? I've heard it's good to replace the standard cloth pipe with something bigger in diameter.

Only really worth f**king around with it if you relocate battery to be fair but no-one really does it

Agree

There's far too much concentration on silly CAF's and daft factory airboxes when the obvious restriction most people ignore is the 90 degree inlet bend

Plus any weight you shift to the rear can only help in such a nose heavy car ;)

edit found this pic if your gunna do it do it properly!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/markmasons/bild16.jpg

Last edited:
  Ph1
Agree

Plus any weight you shift to the rear can only help in such a nose heavy car ;)

edit found this pic if your gunna do it do it properly!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/markmasons/bild16.jpg

Who's cars that?? Where's the drivers side engine mount?? lol and how have they managed to get strut brace to run ermm straight?, has the engine been lowered? :S :eek:

Yeah thats the perfect set up in terms of induction track imo

Cupracer, but it was only to emphasize the IK not the rest of the set up lol but I guess the engine is set up in a slightly different position allowing the strut brace to sit straight

Ph1
Defo looks like the engine sites lower in the bay. Can only guess the engine mount, mounts somewhere on the bulkhead?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thanks for the input guys, will just leave the feeds alone for now, If you were to change the 90 induction pipe to a similiar design to the one pictured on the cup racer would you get noticable gains? while on the subject, what do those cupracer engines put out power wise? & are there major internal diffrences between them & a road version? would it be worth relocating the batterey to the spare wheel well to get straighter induction sytem?

Ill answer it as best I can

Thanks for the input guys, will just leave the feeds alone for now, If you were to change the 90 induction pipe to a similiar design to the one pictured on the cup racer would you get noticable gains?

Better throttle response I reckon

while on the subject, what do those cupracer engines put out power wise?

Think around 185-190

& are there major internal diffrences between them & a road version?

Fred said the other day that they are blueprinted and balanced along with precise mapping, orbisound exhaust system and above induction set up.

would it be worth relocating the batterey to the spare wheel well to get straighter induction sytem?

Yes if your gunna do it, do it properly!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thanks for info mate ;) , how much work is involved in reloacating the batterey? plan to strip mine, long term plan.. could just end up being pipe dreams but would love a stripped out go-kart clio to use on the road :evil:

No probs, Yeah should be a relatively easy operation your just gunna need a bracket to hold it securely and some thick I'm gunna guess at about 4/2awg cable from under the bonnet to the boot you can just ground it onto the floorpan

If your gunna strip it then deffo got to be done really!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Cool, well hopefully get it all gutted out & since the spare wheel will no longer be there it can sit flush ( hopefully lol ) under the boot carpet, is there any good guides on doing this? sounds fairly straight forward but its always nice to see what others have done :)

Clio Sport 172 ph1
While on the subject, when relocating battery can the whole support for it be removed from under the hood ? or is it neccesary to hold other little things ;)

No probs, Yeah should be a relatively easy operation your just gunna need a bracket to hold it securely and some thick I'm gunna guess at about 4/2awg cable from under the bonnet to the boot you can just ground it onto the floorpan

Sorry to gatecrash this thread, but i was just curious to a few things.

Where would you take the wire through the engine bay bulkhead to get it through the interior and into the boot ?

And would you have to fabricate some sort of breacket to clamp it in place ?