ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Improving rear brake performance on 172 Cup

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
This is not another thread about the MOT failure issue, that's well documented and understood within the forum.

However, as a consequence of Renault's set up the rear brakes of the Cup, I am convinced that the car is capable of withstanding more braking effort to the rear to improve its overall braking performance but no so much as to make the car dangerous by easily locking up at the rear.

I see that some forum members have cable tied the arm of the valve against the chassis to help it pass the MOT and the fact that this then creates maximum possible braking effort at the rear, is considered too dangerous for norma road use. There must be a middle ground here.

Is anyone aware of a part/modification that can be reliably made to the brake valve to improve the rear braking performance while not turning the car into a potential widow maker? What about fitting the vale from the standard RS 172, would that work on the 172 Cup?

Evo 8 MR
don't mess with perfection!

lol, I wouldn't mess with it either, theres really no need to.

Mine passed it's MOT without any issues. The problem you speak of shouldn't happen anymore.

If you want better braking get some better pads/discs for the fronts.

182 Trophy 019/500
I would leave it. Surely if you started to play with the rear bias you'll run the risk of the arse overtaking the front??

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
just got mine through an mot by cable tying the bias valve, but have cut it off now, never had a problem with breakning performance neway relly, imo id just leave it as it is!

Stripped yozza'd cup
Rear brakes are really only for balance and stability under braking.... What makes you think that changing the bias would improve your braking performance??

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
I hear what you're all saying and generally I'm in agreement although I had a problem with sticky rear callipers which meant the pad was sitting ultra-close to the disc at all times. I eventually replaced both rear callipers with reconditioned units and now the rear wheels turn freely and the rear brakes seem to be working fine although there is a notable difference (i.e. decrease) in braking performance with the new callipers compared to before. Everything was fitted 100% and complete change of fluiid afterwards so I'm convinced that the deterioration in braking performance is because the rear pads are now back to normal settings and not sitting right against the disc surface. I'll admit that the brake set-up is still very good and would keep most people happy but it just got me thinking that it could be made even better by increasing the brake effort at the rear.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Might be worth seeing if you can drive another cup with standard brakes to see if it's something wrong with yours? I have no problem with my brakes at all, nicely balanced.

172DD Cup
which way do you cable tie it to increase efficiency at the back, cable tie it to force it up, or cable tie it to force it down? i ask, because a garage have cable tied mine :eek: