ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Increasing gloss/ depth to light colours

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm just starting to machine polish to get correction, tried lime prime(will try shortly by machine), used wax both over LP and onto bare paint, and recently tried C2 sealant. Is there any other form of enhancement to bring out the depth, especially with LY in between prep and LSP?

I'm yet to use a glaze other than SRP, but is this the best way to increase the gloss of paint? I'm considering trying Poorboys white diamond (as blackhole gets good reviews) or Britemax blackmax.

I've been going through threads on DW so much the GF is limiting time on the internet.

Thanks, Dave

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lets start at the beginning mate.

Are you going to be machine correcting the whole car with polishes like Menzerna?

After polishing i'd use a pre-wax cleanser like LP although I wouldn't recommend it due to how oily it is, I use LP for enhancements due to the abrasives in it, combined with a polishing pad it'll give good results on the right paint with the correct technique. :)

So maybe look into different cleansers, even after polishing it's been found the like of Jeffs prime to draw even more dirt from the paint so it will again improve the finish.

Then use a glaze, on your colour i'd use the moose recommended or EZ creme, forget blackhole and britemax.

No here is another crucial part. The LSP. Something like C2 is imo just no made for your colour, it's so sterile and will never leave anything bar a cold clean look. If you want wet and a bit of gloss you need a wax to compliment the finish underneath.

Sealants will make the flake pop, Z2 or jeffs trigger. Carnuab will give a nice warm glow and leave a nice wet looking finish akin to what's underneath.

On this ocassion and because of how great a price it is, maybe try vics... http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/victoria-wax/victoria-wax-3oz-concours-wax/prod_312.html

Or uppermarket... Onyx... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/swissvax-onyx-cat13.html

Paul's car looked immense wearing BOS and i'd imagine most SV waxes will compliment the colour.

I love that you and Toby write up as much as you do. Really can't be arsed any more and think AR is of the same opinion lol (no offense Dave).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Loller, sometimes I don't even bother posting but when I do I put a little effort in.

Really know what you mean though.

It's the Autoglym crowd I can't be arsed with.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
To start it will be machine corrected using P1 , purely as I've already bought it combined with Hexlogic pads till I find a good process, will try the Menzerna 3 once I finish it off. I will be trying LP with machine but TBH wasn't that impressed with it by hand so will be looking for a replacement.

thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into the above as well as other cleansers. Are the above still better when aplied by machine or is there little difference other than time?

The C2 gave a crisp clean look on a silver golf, But I also wanted long term protection for it. for my clio I want the warmth that I think I'll only get with a wax, the panel pot of Vics concours is already in my basket to try but considered DJ purple haze pro. Car is washed weekly and have enough time to re-apply wax if needed for durability so look is now more important than all out protection on my car hence thinking of a glaze.

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I love that you and Toby write up as much as you do. Really can't be arsed any more and think AR is of the same opinion lol (no offense Dave).

lol. I have no need, i know Gally will post up enough info to cause brain overload! ;) - t'is good info tho! - Credit where credits due!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Fuuuuuuu Forum! I just wrote and epic response and it seemed to disappear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway.

Okay so you have a good base, P1 is fine mate. Imo all cars should be glazed and EZ creme is an ideal choice because it will bond very well to both sealants and waxes, bonding is of course very important to the life of your LSP.

Now cleansers, good idea throwing it to the side, it's good for enhancing the paint after maybe another 4 months by machine but always cleanse after it to remove the oils.

I keep recommending Jeffs Prime because it's versatile and very very durable on it's own. You can use it on glass, lights, wheels, shuts, exhaust, chrome work. You name it and it's also probably the best "cleaner" of them all.

Some offer better gloss but on lighter colours, silver, white, yellows, cleansing is even more important. It will brighten the paintwork by removing deep seated grime even after polishing while laying down the best possible base for your glaze/LSP.

Use a MF applicator for the cleanser mate, no real need to use a machine in your case, pick up maybe 4 of those little blue ones from somewhere, they are very good and wash and clean well, so they'll still be soft

Now LSP wise i'd go for Vics on looks and PH for beading and durability.

The looks department is negligible, vics offers a slightly wetter finish but you'd probably never notice the difference and a nice panel pot of PHP is cheap cheap to try, you could go round your car and get maybe 5+ layers from a panel pot.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Shame you're so far away, i'd love to have come help you out mate.

Maybe pick up some Z6 as your QD. Don't bother with the others, they are not in the same league.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It a tough call but the EZ creme does appear to glow lovely after a brief search.

I'm currently using C2 dilute as QD as I mixed up a little too much for the Golf and once diluted has a short shelf life. Same finish as C2 concentrate, crisp clean finish with good beading and duarbility, but no depth of gloss. especially when compared to Gallys pic of the FRP with Z8. This is over a couple layers of HD wax so might not help things

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Z8/Z6 are in a league of their own.

Also people claim that they are expensive, Z8 maybe but Z6 is less than £10 and I still have over half a bottle left since early last year. I use it on pretty much every detail I do.

attachment.php

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Shut your mouth fool, there's a new Sheriff in town.

sheriff.gif