ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction kit for £0

I have an 03 Cup, and have taken the pipe out leading to the bottom of the airbox, and just aimed it at the hole leaving a couple of inch gap. This gives a cool induction roar and also noticeable power gains. It seems to be in the perfect place to get cold air, as it is shielded by the battery from hot engine air. I have also put in an extra cold air feed pipe. The hole is actually under the air filter - so no probs with dust etc getting in. Does anyone know of any probs with doing this - I havent experienced any adverse problems - stalling etc! If not try it!

Itll lose you power! The gains you are experiencing are probably related to the cool noise. I did I similar thing with both my MK2 172 and Williams and using an AP22 to time, I discovered that Id lost a few tenths or more to 60 on both cars. Subjectively, I thought I had improved the performance! Look at my "£25 induction kit" thread on this forum. Ive just added a heat shield which Im going to put pics up of later. Its now definitely improved performance, not to mention having a cool noise.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Rhys

Cheers for the reply, you let me down gently.

Thing is, I reckon, the responsiveness has improved, especially on pick up through the rev range, and definately at hgher speed - 80mph plus. I cant comment on exact 0-60 times but generally it feels more responsive, I know the old adage " It sounds noisier, so it must be quicker", but im convinced.

Could it be that the location of the hole from which I took the pipe is better placed to take in cold air than the clios you mentioned, after all the concept of an induction kit is to get as much cold air into the engine as possible. (The pipe itself doesnt do a great deal, from what I understand it just leads to a resonator box which at low revs gives the engine a small amount of cooler air to pull away with).

If I bought an induction kit from the many available on the market, It would, unless I bought an expensive one, take in a lot of hot air from the engine bay, as it would be placed on the other side of the battery.

Another point is, what ive done is similar to drilling the airbox, but in a more select place and one huage hole rather than lots of little ones.

Maybe some other cup owners could try it and report their findings, or maybe everyone will tell me im a tw*t and go and buy a proper one.

Thanks for the welcome by the way, its the first time ive used a car site, and its nice to be able to talk cars with other sniffpetrol types.

Fair enough, Id would thoroughly suggest getting some 60mm tubing to get air flow from underneath the car. It seems to be working really well for me.

Rhys

Ive got a smaller diameter pipe leading out to the grill, and have just pushed it loosely into the airbox. I need to put some sort of larger vent on the end, to enable it to take in more air, then its all pukka.

I had it serviced not so long ago, 5 months 12,000 miles, ( I know, im obsessed, in my defence it is business use as well), and I really did notice the difference afterwards, (having reverted it back to normal so they didnt pull any fast ones with the warranty).

Thinking aout a chip soon and exhaust soon.

By the way does anyone know of any front tyres that last nearer 10k as I have been managing 6k out of my last two front pairs! Its the torque steer, honest!

i got through my front set in 6,000 miles too it seems to be the norm some less "enthusiastic" drivers will get more and i know somoene who used to only get 3000 between tyre changes

Currently on pirelli Pzero Neros (£70 Quid a pop) Ill let you know how I get on but im not confident as they are softer compound than the contis and the Uniroyals I had after those! Nice and sticky though and quieter than the uniroyals, though not as good as the conts. The rears are still on 4mm, standard Contis, so they should do a good 20+K.

One bit of advice, stay away from Khumos, they will be sold to you on the basis of good longevity, but they will probably have you off the road at the mear sniff of damp on the road, as they are like concrete! Cheap too! I had them on my MK2 16V and they lasted 20K on the front, whereas, previous toyos etc lasted only 10K with my Spirited driving.

Hmmmm right, well there might be something in this.... just maybe, as that pipe is the one that leads to vacuum controlled flap thingy..... so what youre actually doing is allowing it more air than normal by basically bypassing that flap....... Hmmmmmmmmm get hold of an AP22 and do a shed load of testing with it in and out, see the difference.... then youll know for sure.

2012 WRX Waggon

LOL - Ive pulled the hose out of my airbox, god knows what its done to the performance, but it sounds great!

brilliant for scaring cyclists and small dogs!

might do it proper and get a viper though.

Quote: Originally posted by visceral on 04 August 2003

LOL - Ive pulled the hose out of my airbox, god knows what its done to the performance, but it sounds great!

i pulled my air feed out of my induction on my 1.2 16v - i can notice a tiny difference in sound, but wont this just give the engine a constant HOT air feed?

Mk2 172

Quote: Originally posted by Road_Shagger on 05 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by visceral on 04 August 2003

i pulled my air feed out of my induction on my 1.2 16v - i can notice a tiny difference in sound, but wont this just give the engine a constant HOT air feed?
Remove and seal over your hot air inlet. it is a waste of time.

Keep your cold air pipe connected, as this will only let cold air into the engine.

You will need to put something in the cold air feed to jam it wide open.....a section of cut induction hoze should do the job.

Or if you are brave, splice the hot air intake into the cold air intakeon the air box; then feed another pipe to the hot air exchanger (metal plate) ON THE ENGINE and place the other end where it will scoop cold air to help cool the engine.